X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randolph
    • May 2012

Speed bag smoke signals?

Having recently built a couple speed bag platforms out under the open door & empty RV "garage", and having started to drum away every day, it seems the noise has stirred someone else in the neighborhood to start bagging again. Last night I was out there practicing and exercising, and between "bouts" While resting, I heard another speed bag off in the distance from somewhere in the neighborhood. Never heard that before, but we fell into a rhythem of taking turns "hitting" while the other "rested" and had quite a nice long session hearing each other drumming away.
    Randolph Leslie Smith
    Washington State Licensed Real Estate Broker
    Learned Speed Bag fundamentals in 1973
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

That's pretty cool Randolph.

Maybe in the future that person, or you, will try to track down where, the other baggin' is goin' on.

Whenever a person asks me what i do for exercise, i'll mention the speed bag among other things. It's as if most people i run in to don't even seem to know what a speed bag is.

I usually say... :"You know... that tear shaped, small leather bag attached to a platform, that you see boxers hitting sometimes?"

Sometimes they say :"Oh, okay. Speed bag". HaHa

Comment

• dogtoke
      • Jun 2008

Gotta love it

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

sounds like "Drums along the Mohawk" to me.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post

Whenever a person asks me what i do for exercise, i'll mention the speed bag among other things. It's as if most people i run in to don't even seem to know what a speed bag is.

I usually say... :"You know... that tear shaped, small leather bag attached to a platform, that you see boxers hitting sometimes?"

That's one of the reasons I'm making the film. I get the same thing and once I show someone, they are into it. Just a matter of making people aware.
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Randolph
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            sounds like "Drums along the Mohawk" to me.
            Actually Speedbag, it would be "Drums along the Duwamish", we live very close to the Duwamish River on what was once inhabited by the Duwamish Indians.

Long since the Indians "migrated" elsewhere, this area became a landfill so we basically live on an old pile of garbage where it seems the ants & fleas are immune to pesticides, and are like indestructible little mutant creatures, pester unceasingly.

I think we would PREFER being along the Mowhawk, wherever it is?
            Randolph Leslie Smith

Comment

• Randolph
              • May 2012

Maybe in the future that person, or you, will try to track down where, the other baggin' is goin' on.

Yes, I would like to find my speed bagging neighbor, it is a fun sport to share for sure. Interesting how many youngsters today disregard the benefits of speed bagging or do not even know what it is at first.
              Randolph Leslie Smith

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Randolph View Post

I think we would PREFER being along the Mowhawk, wherever it is?
                That would be in my backyard... the Mohawk River:

"The Mohawk River is a 149-mile-long river in the U.S. state of New York. It is the largest tributary of the Hudson River. The Mohawk flows into the Hudson in the Capital District, a few miles north of the city of Albany."

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                  That would be in my backyard... the Mohawk River:

"The Mohawk River is a 149-mile-long river in the U.S. state of New York. It is the largest tributary of the Hudson River. The Mohawk flows into the Hudson in the Capital District, a few miles north of the city of Albany."

...so do you hear the drums along the mohawk occasionally?

(ps: I spent my childhook out on east long Island, close to Patchogue. )
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Randolph
                    • May 2012

Nice research work Zaza, I never heard of the Mohawk River before, much to my shame, but sure liked the fighting spirit of the Mohawk Indians as depicted in the movie, "Last of the Mohekans" which I am assuming are one in the same?
                    Randolph Leslie Smith

Comment

• Randolph
                      • May 2012

I met a Titled MMA fighter who has gym locally and when I visited, noticed he had no speed bag. I asked him why and he said it was too "old school" and most of his members / clients didn't even know what a speed bag is, let alone know how to use one. That kind of surprised me. After hearing that, I cannot tell you what a treat it has been to find SpeedBagForum and all the MASTERS on youtube. I told him about the Speed Bag Bible and sent him a video of Alan Kahn doing a demo flurry that just blows the mind, haven't heard a peep out of him since.
                      Last edited by Randolph; 06-06-2012, 01:56 AM.
                      Randolph Leslie Smith

Comment

• Randolph
                        • May 2012

I met a Titled MMA fighter who has gym locally and when I visited, noticed he had no speed bag. I asked him why and he said it was too "old school" and most of his members / clients didn't even know what a spped bag is, let alone know how to use one. That kind of surprised me. After hearing that, I cannot tell you what a treat it has been to find SpeedBagForum and all the MASTERS on youtube. So told him about the Speed Bag Bible with a link showing Alan Kahn doing a demo that is mind boggling, and haven't heard a peep out of him since, but my guess is he'll probably get a speed bag put up in his gym before long
                        Randolph Leslie Smith

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          ...so do you hear the drums along the mohawk occasionally?

(ps: I spent my childhook out on east long Island, close to Patchogue. )
                          Yes... yes I do! There are some cool boat parties with live bands and lots of beer.

Originally posted by Randolph View Post
                          Nice research work Zaza, I never heard of the Mohawk River before, much to my shame, but sure liked the fighting spirit of the Mohawk Indians as depicted in the movie, "Last of the Mohekans" which I am assuming are one in the same?
                          Yep, they are the same. We have the most beautiful Adirondack Mountains... they are very different from the mountains out west as they are MUCH older and rounded...as apposed to the very new mountains that jut out of the earth in the west.

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

Google Spider was looking at this thread today, worthy of a bump.

Comment

• Cazbag
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2018

Hell yeah thanks for sharing

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...