Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolling in the Deep Punch Drumming with 4x rebound punch

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rolling in the Deep Punch Drumming with 4x rebound punch

    After all that Alan taught me at Speed Bag II, I thought I would do another punch drumming video and focus on using the accent punch he taught me. You'll notice that when the beat comes in Strong, I hit the accent punch hard and let it rebound 4 times before I punch again from the opposite side of the bag.

    Thanks for teaching me how to expand my punch drumming choices Alan!

    Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 06-22-2011, 09:49 PM. Reason: add something
    Novaspeedbagger

  • #2


    Great Job! You're nailing it, AND passing the fists through also. Gotta love it. Just another tool in the rhythmic box.
    Speed Bag

    Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...


    sigpic

    The Art of the Bag

    Comment


    • #3
      Smooth

      That's whats up!

      Comment


      • #4
        Awesome!!!! Your right, Ya Gotta Love it....

        Comment


        • #5
          Great punch drumming

          Nova, great song, love what you've done with it. Right on target. Thanks for the shout out. Was great baggin with you especially when a bunch of us were in time to the same songs. Thanks to you, D and others that provided great tunes to bag to. As always, Thanks to Alan for training and sparking an interest in Punch drumming.

          Comment


          • #6
            Wreckin' it!!!!

            Damn!!!!! Nuff said!
            Last edited by metaldad; 06-27-2011, 03:28 PM. Reason: Added words and title
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Hot diggity dang! Great groove! Onthe money! And the 4 way rebound is great.
              It's a visual trip because you have to wait that extra rebound, and keep it in time ..... the first time I saw alan do it I loved it. I think it's in one of my clips but I never worked on it enough to get in to the level of just throwing it in...
              Great job.. but overall... amazing punch drumming!
              BAG ON!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                Hot diggity dang! Great groove! On the money! And the 4 way rebound is great.
                It's a visual trip because you have to wait that extra rebound, and keep it in time ..... the first time I saw alan do it I loved it. I think it's in one of my clips but I never worked on it enough to get in to the level of just throwing it in...
                Great job.. but overall... amazing punch drumming!
                BAG ON!
                As NOVA learned in NJ, you really shouldn't have to "wait" on that extra rebound, because the bag should be in the exact point that 4th rebound as it should be - because you hit the last punch harderto add a bit of bag speed. that last punch also makes it louder, accenting (and emphasizing) that punch.

                You can punch ON the beat in the triplet rhythm by punching ON each music beat from the same side with three rebounds inbetween. You can also punch ON the beat using four rebounds inbetween by punching ON the beat from opposite sides and hit a bit harder to allow for the extra rebound. When using four rebounds you can use only one hand or split the fists and use both. If you use both you can add a bit of "flash" by rotating the fists from front to back during the combination. Remember, this will make the fist that passes through hit twice in a row. Nova hits it perfectly on beat and changing hands (1:23 -1:37).
                Speed Bag

                Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...


                sigpic

                The Art of the Bag

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks Spins! I dig punch drumming!

                  Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                  Hot diggity dang! Great groove! Onthe money! And the 4 way rebound is great.
                  It's a visual trip because you have to wait that extra rebound, and keep it in time ..... the first time I saw alan do it I loved it. I think it's in one of my clips but I never worked on it enough to get in to the level of just throwing it in...
                  Great job.. but overall... amazing punch drumming!
                  BAG ON!
                  Thanks Brian! I guess you can tell by now that I am really digging punch drumming Alan was gracious enough to spend some quality time giving me tips that have really enlightened me after the weekend in Keyport! It would have been great to have you there as well. I just checked out some of the Jam session vidz from Speed bag 2010 that you and another guy on bass were keeping a beat for Skunk, Alan and some other punch drummers. I would have loved to bag it up to your drumming.

                  Thanks for watching the vid and the kind comments. Looking forward to some punch drumming vids from you and hopefully we'll all make it to Speed Bag III. I'm planning for it now!


                  Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  As NOVA learned in NJ, you really shouldn't have to "wait" on that extra rebound, because the bag should be in the exact point that 4th rebound as it should be - because you hit the last punch harderto add a bit of bag speed. that last punch also makes it louder, accenting (and emphasizing) that punch.

                  You can punch ON the beat in the triplet rhythm by punching ON each music beat from the same side with three rebounds inbetween. You can also punch ON the beat using four rebounds inbetween by punching ON the beat from opposite sides and hit a bit harder to allow for the extra rebound. When using four rebounds you can use only one hand or split the fists and use both. If you use both you can add a bit of "flash" by rotating the fists from front to back during the combination. Remember, this will make the fist that passes through hit twice in a row. Nova hits it perfectly on beat and changing hands (1:23 -1:37).
                  Alan took the time to teach me all of this in Jersey, but I didn't really get the hang of it until I got back home and spent the next two nights doing it over and over till I got the timing down on the 4 rebounders!
                  Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM. Reason: added a word
                  Novaspeedbagger

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Very Nice! You have a nice relaxed, steady control. It's that "Speed Bag ESP" where you start getting to a point where you know where the bag is gonna be, and when it will be there, at any given moment, and how it will react to every punch before, and as you throw it.

                    anyways... Kick A#$ Baggin' Nova
                    5 Leather Balloons

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                      Very Nice! You have a nice relaxed, steady control. It's that "Speed Bag ESP" where you start getting to a point where you know where the bag is gonna be, and when it will be there, at any given moment, and how it will react to every punch before, and as you throw it.

                      anyways... Kick A#$ Baggin' Nova
                      5 Leather Balloons
                      For Punch Drumming I would also add "..and you know the sound of the bag beat and what you want to do with it, and you know how to produce any bag beat you feel no matter where your hands are around the bag.

                      Punch Drumming is more about working the sound of the bag beat, and mastering your ability to reproduce any beat you feel. And do it instantaneously, and doing it in time to the music. Novaspeedbagger is becoming and accomplished punchdrummer in his own right.
                      Speed Bag

                      Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...


                      sigpic

                      The Art of the Bag

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        For Punch Drumming I would also add "..and you know the sound of the bag beat and what you want to do with it, and you know how to produce any bag beat you feel no matter where your hands are around the bag.

                        Punch Drumming is more about working the sound of the bag beat, and mastering your ability to reproduce any beat you feel. And do it instantaneously, and doing it in time to the music. Novaspeedbagger is becoming and accomplished punchdrummer in his own right.
                        Amen Alan! Can't forget the sound. I've been doing a little more Punch Drumming than i usually do , and have started to realize the importance of the sound more. chika chika chika ka chika chika ka chu. gotta love those bag beats.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Punch drumming presents a very creative challenge!

                          Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                          Very Nice! You have a nice relaxed, steady control. It's that "Speed Bag ESP" where you start getting to a point where you know where the bag is gonna be, and when it will be there, at any given moment, and how it will react to every punch before, and as you throw it.

                          anyways... Kick A#$ Baggin' Nova
                          5 Leather Balloons
                          Thanks Ebozyn! I can't explain any better than Alan did below. I do know that when I first started bagging bible style, I couldn't even get the rhythm of linking down (April 2010). Back then I said to myself, "there's no way I'll ever be able to hit the speed bag while keeping the rhythm to music". Life's full of surprises! I do bag by feeling the groove of the song more then anything, but the tips Alan gave me at Speed bag III definitely shed incredible light on punch drumming. The 5-1, 3-3 and 4 rebound accent punches really gave me great insight into working a song with the sound of the bag beat. I'm still in major learning stages, but the improvisational part of punch drumming is a lot of fun! Thanks for watching Ebozyn!

                          Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          For Punch Drumming I would also add "..and you know the sound of the bag beat and what you want to do with it, and you know how to produce any bag beat you feel no matter where your hands are around the bag.
                          You explain this in your video's, by using Rear or front Double punches and passing your hand or hands through the bag so you can work the bag beat to the song from the back or even the sides of the bag. This explantion opened my mind to the art of punch drumming in a major way. It added more tools to the Rhythmic tool box, as you put it, Alan.

                          Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          Punch Drumming is more about working the sound of the bag beat, and mastering your ability to reproduce any beat you feel. And do it instantaneously, and doing it in time to the music. Novaspeedbagger is becoming and accomplished punchdrummer in his own right.
                          Thanks Alan! This is my favorite part of speed bagging! When I first began to hit the speed bag again last spring I remember thinking that punch drumming will be an impossible task, but much to my surprise, this is truly one of the most fulfilling activities in which I've ever partaken. What a great surprise so late in life. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks after all! At least you can Alan.

                          I've also come to learn that the most important key in being able to accomplish what Alan's trying to teach is to "LISTEN" to what he's saying.....5-1, 3-3, double punches to change sides of the bag and keep the beat, syncopation, double time, straight time punching....I now have a much better understanding of those concepts and principles, and it helps tremendously, and punch drumming is still fun and creative! Just because I have a bit more understanding doesn't make it mechanical and planned out. There is still countless ways to punch out an echo rhythm and the challenge is.....Can you do it while matching your bag beat to the song? I love that challenge!

                          Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                          Amen Alan! Can't forget the sound. I've been doing a little more Punch Drumming than i usually do , and have started to realize the importance of the sound more. chika chika chika ka chika chika ka chu. gotta love those bag beats.
                          Looking forward to some punch drumming vids from you in the future Ebozyn!

                          Great baggin in all your vids. Very smooth skills and combinations linked together fluidly!

                          Keep on Baggin!
                          Novaspeedbagger

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Inspiring... thanks!
                            -
                            Owner/Operator
                            www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

                            LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Your welcome, Thanks for watching!
                              Novaspeedbagger

                              Comment

                              Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...
                              X