X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

It's like anything else, business' have gotten into their heads that they have to make a huge profit on everything they make as fast as they can. Also, if you have to keep buying replacements, they keep making money. The days of offering quality products at reasonable prices are long gone

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

The days of quality products at high prices are fading fast too.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

I found these on Craigslist in Boston...no idea on age either. Spalding & Roberts. Really nice leather, yes they smell old, but not too bad.

The Roberts have a metal bar in them! Any ideas on age??
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• StevieMac
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
          I'd like to change the title of this thread to "Old school speed bag gloves are the S**T", but I don't see a way to do that.
          -Rusty
          Click the Edit button in the original thread post and from that screen select Go Advanced. I think you'll be able to edit your thread title there.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
            I found these on Craigslist in Boston...no idea on age either. Spalding & Roberts. Really nice leather, yes they smell old, but not too bad.

The Roberts have a metal bar in them! Any ideas on age??

The Roberts mitts are probably from the late 1940's, early 1950's. Rocky Marciano had an endorsement deal with them in the '50's.The metal bar in the palm was a common feature used by a number of the suppliers. It served a couple of purposes. One was it forced the wearer to form his fist around it, and two the added weight (although slight) added to the workout. Considering how a typical striking bag workout of the time was done, with the bag high, I can see some benefit of the bar. The Spalding mitts I would estimate date from the late 1940's, perhaps even a bit earlier.

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Thanks, Stevie. I tried to do the edit, but it just put a title on post #1, the forum listing still has the old title.

Zaza, nice old bag gloves. I always preferred the mitts to the new MMA style gloves. I remember right around 1980 I used my allowance money to buy a really nice pair of Everlast mitts. Have not been able to find them. Black leather, very smooth and soft like the deerskin gloves. Thin padding and a metal bar. I always found the metal bar comfortable.
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                The Roberts mitts are probably from the late 1940's, early 1950's. Rocky Marciano had an endorsement deal with them in the '50's.The metal bar in the palm was a common feature used by a number of the suppliers. It served a couple of purposes. One was it forced the wearer to form his fist around it, and two the added weight (although slight) added to the workout. Considering how a typical striking bag workout of the time was done, with the bag high, I can see some benefit of the bar. The Spalding mitts I would estimate date from the late 1940's, perhaps even a bit earlier.
                Thank you!
                Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                  I found these on Craigslist in Boston...no idea on age either. Spalding & Roberts. Really nice leather, yes they smell old, but not too bad...
                  Zaza, I had very good results using Zero Odor on my nice but musty smelling Wilson deerskins. At first, I just inverted and sprayed the inside felt lining, as it smelled the worst. But after drying, it became obvious the leather also produced the musty smell. After first application on the outside leather, the smell is gone. I expect I will have to reapply the Zero Odor a few times, but so far so good.

Now if I could only get my old leather gloves to smell like sandalwood and cedar...

-Rusty
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...