• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

The elusive Tim Platt elbow move

I think my elbow is incapable of this 'simple' move. And yours? What's the secret?

Me practicing Upward Elbows. This is a move the The Baggist brought to the masses very recently. I've been obsessed with it since seeing him do it.

• speedball708
    • Apr 2015

Pretty sweet

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      I think my elbow is incapable of this 'simple' move. And yours? What's the secret?

Me practicing Upward Elbows. This is a move the The Baggist brought to the masses very recently. I've been obsessed with it since seeing him do it.

secret is, he starts with a Downward Double Elbow Strike (D-DES) and then raises the arm up to allow the bag to rebound into the upward elbow. He is not really hitting the bag purposely with the upward elbow, the bag is rebounding into it. The power for that comes from the fist - then getting the elbow in the upward position for the bag to rebound into it. Then he comes across in more or less a hook punch with the left fist but notice it is a bit late in the rebound so the bag hits him on the wrist, then he comes back outward and the bag clips his forearm. When do fast it looks OK but in slow motion you can see the mis-hits. No matter, he was learning it in this clip. He can zip that combo out now with all the correct contact points. BUT the secret is still letting the power of the bag rebound come from the fist, no the upward elbow.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

My elbow doesn't often arrive in time. I've let this challenge slide for too long, 2016 is the year to achieve this little feat. Remember when Tim had that move as his animated avatar? Just to taunt the slow elbow crowd is my guess, haha.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

Trying some upward elbows.

My tip would be to get the elbow in there early after the rebound so the bag still has plenty of angle on it. This is going to mean reaching in under the swivel just slightly further forward to meet the bag than you would for an ordinary elbow strike. Reason being that if the bag is allowed too much time to return to a near plumb position, the upward strike can often result in the bag unhooking itself from the swivel. With any combo i'm learning I feel the key is to always be thinking where the fist or elbow needs to go AFTER the strike in order to be ready for it's next one. Often it needs to continue moving directly into position to be ready in time. I think Alan is absolutely correct in having the previous strike generate the speed in the bag for the upward elbow. The upward elbow is not a particularly powerful strike.

Comment

• stefoz
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
            Trying some upward elbows.

My tip would be to get the elbow in there early after the rebound so the bag still has plenty of angle on it. This is going to mean reaching in under the swivel just slightly further forward to meet the bag than you would for an ordinary elbow strike. Reason being that if the bag is allowed too much time to return to a near plumb position, the upward strike can often result in the bag unhooking itself from the swivel. With any combo i'm learning I feel the key is to always be thinking where the fist or elbow needs to go AFTER the strike in order to be ready for it's next one. Often it needs to continue moving directly into position to be ready in time. I think Alan is absolutely correct in having the previous strike generate the speed in the bag for the upward elbow. The upward elbow is not a particularly powerful strike.
            hi bro,where did you get your poster from?

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by stefoz View Post
              hi bro,where did you get your poster from?
              You can get a poster from forum member ZAZA. He is the producer and director of "The art of the bag"

scroll down that page to find a link to posters.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• stefoz
                • Apr 2015

thanks for info Allan .i did contact that link sometime ago and they replied back that they don't ship to Australia.
                may be seaweed man pulled some strings.for his
                Last edited by stefoz; 01-26-2016, 05:05 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by stefoz View Post
                  thanks for info Allan .i did contact that link sometime ago and they replied back that they don't ship to Australia.
                  may be seaweed man pulled some strings.for his
                  An awesome, kind, generous and inspiring speed bagger sent me my poster. I am very lucky.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...