X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BaggerBob
    • Jun 2015

Old guys on speed

I see mostly younger guys working these bags like a maniac...

Starting out, is there an age where you think a speed bag is too intense of a work out?

Being in great shape, is it harder to get good at and be really fast, when you're say 50, or 60?

Is it hard on an older guy's joints?

BBob
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Welcome to the forum BaggerBob.
    Many of the best baggers on here seem to be in that age bracket, or older. I have as many grey hairs as them but not yet the skills or the years of age so I can't be of much help.
    Just start hitting it and see?

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

I started hitting the bag at 49 (5 years ago) ... After the initial soreness of using muscles I've never used before, it's all good! Don't think that you have to bag fast to receive the benefits of the bag. Start slow, learn combos...the speed comes naturally.

Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of us old guys here!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• SpeedBagAtaraxis
        • Nov 2010

Never an age too old! The speed bag should really be called a control bag. It's not about the speed but the technique you can exercise on the bag. All the best baggers have done ALOT of slooooowwww baggining to get to where they are.

I personally spend about 50% of my bag time going extremely slow and focus on my technique and control and I find that it translates well when I try to go faster because my movements are second nature because of all the slow practice!

Comment

• BaggerBob
          • Jun 2015

Thanks for the replies!
          I think speed/double end bag training is getting more popular today then ever with guys looking to develop new skill sets. I know I want to increase mine.
          I like the cardio aspect of it too.
          We shall see how it goes.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

We've have people here that are "up there" in age (including myself), many who have just recently started hitting. The great thing about the speed bag is you can tailor your workout to suit want you want at a pace that you can handle. Start low and slow, get the feel of it. The bag doesn't care how fast or how slow you go. As you become comfortable with it you'll notice an increase in speed. The fun part is learning the combos. There is a sense of accomplishment once things start to click.

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

I had to apply for Medicare last week if that tells you anything. I don't try to go as fast as I can, it's more fun to learn the different combo's. On occasion I'll go fast to burn out but it's rare. It's been a great exercise keep my hand and eye coordination skill up. Have fun with it

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

fedora

Comment

• BaggerBob
                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                I had to apply for Medicare last week if that tells you anything. I don't try to go as fast as I can, it's more fun to learn the different combo's. On occasion I'll go fast to burn out but it's rare. It's been a great exercise keep my hand and eye coordination skill up. Have fun with it

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

fedora
                Okay, you convinced me...geezers can play too!

Comment

• drag-on389
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by BaggerBob View Post
                  I see mostly younger guys working these bags like a maniac...

Starting out, is there an age where you think a speed bag is too intense of a work out?

Being in great shape, is it harder to get good at and be really fast, when you're say 50, or 60?

BBob
                  Hitting the bag is good for your hand and eye coordination. You exercise without it feeling like your doing it. There is gratification when you start mastering some of the skills and believe it or not it gives you confidence. Now it probably won't affect your joints unless you hit something like the Title big blue bag or the the big bags from the good old days. So just start slow and don't make it a chore and you will be good to go.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I see mostly younger guys working these bags like a maniac... BBob
                    Hey BaggerBob. I suspect your seeing younger guys punching like maniacs is mostly because younger guys are more familiar with today's modern technology like cellphones with video, internet connections and uploading to sites like youtube. That has nothing to do with speed bag skills and their workouts. They just aren't so likely to post them.

BBob
                    For a beginner, NO I don't think there is an age limit. I believe one's Fitness level, skill and pain on punching, if you have it, will pretty much dictate how intense you go on any given day or how many days a week you can do it.

IMO - I can attest that age may find you punching a bit slower, but that is probably due to chronic (or acute) injuries. Personally I know I was "a bit" faster when my shoulders had cartilage, and seven less surgeries. MY fastest days were almost 20 years ago, but my control and understanding are way better now. How I wish I had the speed bag knowledge and understanding I have now with the shoulders and stamina I had when I was in my 30's...

BBob
                    Hard to answer this accurate, but I've seen plenty of 50 and 60 years old rip up a speed bag. I can personally attest to the fact that speed bag punching is harder on an injured shoulder, elbow or hands. If you can make to it 60 or older without overuse syndromes, rotator cuff tears or torn whatever's.... or just plain osteoarthritis, than I imagine you can punch the speed bag as fast and furious as you can at 20 or 30. Personally I do not know many (if any) "old guys" in their 60's or older that don't have some joint that is not nagging them. I believe I was at MY personal fastest during my mid forties, which was twenty years ago. Now, given my many trips through the O.R. (operating room) I have lost the "afterburner" gear, and rarely attempt to punch with full force anymore because it just hurts too much and from a fitness or quality of life basis it no longer serves a purpose. When I had cartilage I could go beast mode with the best of them. In hindsight I would trade most of those insane beast mode 5-8 hour gym rat workouts I did just to have the cartilage and rotator cuff tendons that got shredded in the process.

But I see no reason that a healthy, non-injured shoulder/elbow/hands would have to punch slower due to age.

check these out... I'd say their doing fine for their age!

Ernie Oriente, late 70's

Showtime Johnny Powell 60's or 70

Gene Greiner mid 80's when this was made

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BaggerBob
                      • Jun 2015

This turned out to be a pretty good thread.

I can see many benefits for aging guys taking up speed bagging.

I'm a firm believer you must challenge your body throughout your life.
                      It is the key to health and vitality.

I believe the human body needs to keep a load on it, be it lifting to keep strength and bone mass...exercising for endurance, stretching to keep flexibility.

I would conclude doing less heavy impact type activities as you age, to protect joints.

The mind must also be challenged to stimulate cell growth.

I've read studies that found aging people that took up new skills or ways of doing things, actually regenerated and stimulated brain cell growth.

Just things like taking up a musical instrument, or forcing your off hand to perform new tasks, did this. Try brushing your teeth with your off hand.

Seeing the old dudes hitting the speed bag has shown me it still can be done.
                      I see nothing but benefits.

BBob

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                        • Apr 2012

i feel you see more younger people hitting the bag online because the older people are not posting videos. however there is no shortage of older people online. just have to look.
                        Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...