• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2013

Hi everyone, new here.

Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself, wasn`t sure if this was the proper area in this forum? Anyway I am 46 and live in the Northeast. I have been thinking that hitting the speed bag would be good rehab. I have had two spinal vertebrae fused in the last six years, the last one five months ago. This one has left my left arm fairly numb and uncoordinated. I do have a question. Do you need an adjustable platform if your using different size bags? I am going to have my cousin build it as he is a metal/wood fabricator, and I have searched home built platforms and have seen many great ideas. I thank you for any information and tips.

Best Regards,

Rick
  • Dumbcluck
    • Jun 2013

Welcome

Hey Rick, welcome to the right place. Lots of cool heads on here to help you out.
    I started bagging this year at 46 myself. Take it slow at first, the rest will come naturally.
    Jimbo

Comment

• swfl
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2013

Hello Rick and welcome to the forum. Adjustable is nice. Mine is not and wish it was at times.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself, wasn`t sure if this was the proper area in this forum? Anyway I am 46 and live in the Northeast.
        Hi Rick and welcome to the forum. Got lots of great baggers and forum members in the Northeast.

I have been thinking that hitting the speed bag would be good rehab. I have had two spinal vertebrae fused in the last six years, the last one five months ago. This one has left my left arm fairly numb and uncoordinated.
        I can say I know how you feel. I had some left arm issues after my foray into spinal surgeries. I found the best way to retrain my left arm to hit the bag was using this four step approach. It took about six months for left arm to feel "normal", so be patient.

....I do have a question. Do you need an adjustable platform if your using different size bags? I am going to have my cousin build it as he is a metal/wood fabricator, and I have searched home built platforms and have seen many great ideas. I thank you for any information and tips.

Best Regards, Rick
        Givin your neck and shoulder issues, I would say YES, you need an adjustable to get more exact bag height adjustment and make it easier on your head position, which of course attaches to your neck. As my neck is fused also, the resting angle of my head is a bit downward, and having to hold my head upwards, to a bag that is too high, can get a bit unconfortable after a few minutes. I have also found it personally beneficial to set the bag a bit lower than normal, where the belly is almost at chin level or lower. This makes it easier on my left shoulder, for the posterior deltoid (back of the shoulder) never really recovered after my laminectomy, so that arm is weaker and will drop after a few minutes. You might not have that issue, but as you heal from your cervical surgery you may notice some strange issues with one arm or the other. Hope it helps, and Yes there is bagging after spinal fusion.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Rick
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Sep 2013

Thank you everyone! Will definitely go the adjustable route, plus the wife has been watching some of the videos here and on YouTube and thought it looked fun. She is Filipino so I showed her some of there National treasure, Pacquiao hitting the bag like a beast! She`s onboard

-Rick

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Welcome Rick! Nice to see another Northeaster on the forum. Adjustable is the way to go, but I started (at 50 years old) with a home made $20 platform in the basement. You're going to love it!
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...