• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

Ymca x2

Fridays lesson was a winner. Total of 10. Two repeats from the first time. It appears I need to make another station. There were times when people had to wait too long. Moved them to the heavy bag in the room while waiting. I have yet to reach out and grab someone's wrist to get the rhythm going for them. Thoughts on that? Just ask them if its ok I guess? Some people have it in no time and others struggle. Very interesting. No video yet. Maybe next time. The hour went by quickly. On side note..Has anyone heard from Jumpcannon? I've been trying for a couple of batches now. Probably working hard at his real job>
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Yeah... I know he popped up not too long ago, but I don't think he ended up building any.
    I emailed him too and never heard back. He is a busy guy!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by swfl View Post
      Fridays lesson was a winner. Total of 10. Two repeats from the first time. It appears I need to make another station. There were times when people had to wait too long. Moved them to the heavy bag in the room while waiting.

Maybe you could try some three minute rounds. In my gym we workout in a circuit, moving from one apparatus to the next, in a cycle when there are more than three people. It would make me appreciate my time in front of the speed bag more. You have your hands full, if your needed on each speed bag mount at the same time so some other bags are a great answer. There's also the double end bag, which is great for learning footwork and Vert Bagging. There is like no construction for those. Just screw a board to the wall and mount a swiv. I suggest these because they are a great all around exercise when you incorporate the legs.

I have yet to reach out and grab someone's wrist to get the rhythm going for them. Thoughts on that? Just ask them if its ok I guess?

I learned this by watching Skunk. Have the student reach over your punching shoulder, above your arm and grab your wrist. Tell them to relax but hold on. Then perform the technique slowly. I have used this to teach the basic rhythm with success every time.

Some people have it in no time and others struggle. Very interesting.

Usually its hand position or their speed is not equal to the strength of the punch. A beginner should not be applying anymore pressure than a door knock. For the most part a speed bag is just to fast for them at first. Not a lot of people have had anything moving that fast with the proximity of the moving object so close to their heads that it may be intimidating. A speed bag will hit back but it doesn't hurt that bad.

No video yet. Maybe next time. The hour went by quickly. On side note..Has anyone heard from Jumpcannon? I've been trying for a couple of batches now. Probably working hard at his real job>
      I may be able to help with the swivels. If you like you can PM me.
      I think what you're doing is great and hope I've helped. Thanks, Tommy T
      Last edited by spdyTommyT; 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM. Reason: break up the quote
      The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• swfl
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2013

Thank you very much. Wise words that will be used.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hey, swfl. Tommy made some great suggestions. If you decide you need to add more platforms, probably the least expensive thing to do would be to install some vertical drums. All that's needed is some 24" square boards (or 24" tabletop rounds from Lowe's/Home Depot) with a swivel attached and you're ready to go! The vertical bagging is a different style, but it's a GREAT tool for beginners. It's really easy to get started, simply by doing a basic fist roll.

I have a couple of old Deville No.13 swivels that I would be happy to donate to the cause, if you're interested.
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Fridays lesson was a winner. Total of 10. Two repeats from the first time. It appears I need to make another station. There were times when people had to wait too long. Moved them to the heavy bag in the room while waiting. I have yet to reach out and grab someone's wrist to get the rhythm going for them. Thoughts on that? Just ask them if its ok I guess? Some people have it in no time and others struggle. Very interesting. No video yet. Maybe next time. The hour went by quickly. On side note..Has anyone heard from Jumpcannon? I've been trying for a couple of batches now. Probably working hard at his real job>
            I have done this many times in the past, of course the person has to be about your same size or smaller.

You always ask their permission to touch them and explain what you will do. Stand behind them, reach around and hold their arms close to their wrists. move their hands in the movement you are trying to teach. Be especially mindful if the person you are showing is a female and her boyfriend or husband is present. Make sure both of them understand what you are doing so there is no surprise to see you with your arms around the other.

** THEY must totally relax their arms and let you work them. If they try to help or resist, it will not work. And you must hit the bag with their fists very lightly.

This method can be used for the 12 fist punches. (five single punches, five double punches and two fist rolls). It can also be used for several variations of the double punches and fist rolls - Not so easy to use with elbow strikes.

Again you have to be pretty close in size to that person or they need to be smaller than you. In the picture below, I'm holding her upper arms "up" to help her stop swing from the shoulder, so she will circle her fists from the elbow.
            Attached Files
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

…It appears I need to make another station. There were times when people had to wait too long.
              As the instructor, maybe you can stagger the speed bag lessons into 15-20 minute sessions with no more than 3 students? The people who are next in line, can watch and learn as observers. Just a thought.

Hey Alan, that photo is perfect for showing the beginner bagger where their elbows should be the whole time that they are striking the bag.

I have yet to reach out and grab someone's wrist to get the rhythm going for them. Thoughts on that? Just ask them if its ok I guess? Some people have it in no time and others struggle.
              Everyone has their own pace for learning something. When I was first beginning, it seemed to take me longer than most to learn a new punch. For some reason, I had the hardest time learning how to transition from a punch to linking.

When Trainer Raul and I were teaching the basics at a boxing gym, we each had our own "technique" for explaining a punch. Raul worked from his boxing/wrestling background and I worked more from a woman's perspective. I would observe the students, and if they weren't "getting it" from Raul's method, I would show them using mine. Sometimes Raul's instruction worked, and sometimes my explanation helped the student.

A helpful tool for the student is watching a video of themselves, they can see what they might be doing wrong. If you have a tripod, just position it up high enough so it's parallel to their shoulders (profile shot showing from the waist up). It will be easier for them to see their stance and positioning.

Keep up the great work of spreading the word of the bag, swfl! Those YMCA members are lucky to have a serious bagger showing them how it's done.

Has anyone heard from Jumpcannon? I've been trying for a couple of batches now. Probably working hard at his real job.
              The last message he left on the board was that he was taking time this summer to re-build a car engine, I think. This is his other passion, I believe. Or, maybe his current one? Jump, we miss you!
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...