speed bag box like Ernie Oriente Sr has?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homer
    • May 2013

speed bag box like Ernie Oriente Sr has?

There are a few reasons I might have to build my own "box" to use my speed bags. I really like the box Ernie Oriente Sr uses in his garage(against a wall). I saw it in that news clip a while back in the video section. Something stand alone, will suit my needs for using the speed bag. So I have to come up with something like that.

If anyone has any "plans" already drawn up or something, or even suggestions on building such a box or what have ya.....I'd appreciate it. If I don't decide to build one, I might have to buy a stand but would much rather build something. It might be a while before I can get back to practicing. I might go back and watch the clip, until i can figure out how he built that one. I'm not a carpenter, but might be able to figure something out.

I thank you for any advice/suggestions you can throw my way!
  • doss darwin
    • Dec 2012

erie

eo's box is pretty cool--my wife will be back this weekend and we will post some video i shot first of the month--1/2" ply and bracing the way he does it is really solid--maybe when i see him in nov. we can do a breakdown on some of the ones he has built--cheers dd
    the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• Homer
      • May 2013

Hey man, that sounds great. I appreciate anything you can scrape up from him, even if it is after November. Until then, I'll attempt to figure something out...maybe experiment with some ideas. Thank you, -Homer

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

MsDeville's other half, AKA Trainer Raul has built a free standing box frame platform for her, there are pics around here of it someplace. BTW Raul has a long history in the Sweet Science, is in the building trades professionally, and has done a lot of custom work as far as platforms, not to mention involved with the DeVille line of ball hook swivels.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Yes, "Trainer Raul" built a freestanding platform a few years ago. He said he was building it for me, but I think he just wanted to see if he could come up with an easy-to-build, freestanding platform.

I know I posted pictures of it back in March of 2010, but I can't find the thread. I also posted a punch drumming video. I searched my laptop and found some pictures of it.

Here's the thread that contains the punch drumming video using the freestanding platform – with a u-bolt swivel, no less. Scroll down to the bottom of page 2 of the thread and you'll see what a newbie I was back then!) http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...=aretha&page=2

This platform might be more than you have in mind, Homer, but this freestanding setup was pretty easy to put together. HA! Easy for ME to say! I stood and watched while Raul build it!

He got two sheets of 4x8, 1/2" plywood. He used one sheet for the wall, and then cut the other one in half to make the floor and the ceiling. The frame is made up of about 9 pieces of 8' long 2x4's and some 2x2's for bracing. The drum is a 1"-thick 24" tabletop round from Lowe's that he attached to the ceiling. To cut down on vibration and excess noise, he put a couple boxes of mudding compound on the very top. Anyway, that's my freestanding platform.
          Attached Files
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
            • Feb 2013

The two of you make a very talented duo!

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Now all you have to do is put wheels on that and you could punch in a parade!
              I would love to see that...humm...maybe next Memorial Day.
              Imagine seeing Alan punchdrumming live with a marching band...playing the theme from "Rocky"? THAT would be epic!!!

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Homer
                • May 2013

Thank you!!!! I've been looking at those pics for a little while this morning, studying and thinking. I actually would've waited until November for doss darwin to get back with me, for the chance to get good ideas from someone. What you have posted is enough for me to get started(even though it might be a while before I can get started). I did enjoy the "Think" video too!

There are just issues with the garage wall I was using for my setup. My answer to that, is to build something "stand alone." It will be fun building it I'm sure.

I also like that idea of having it on wheels, with Alan and the marching band.

Thank y'all for the help! I'm open to any i can get.

Comment

• doss darwin
                  • Dec 2012

freestanding

that is one nice piece of work Raul--very creative for ply & 2x4--dd
                  the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                    In white with wheels it would look like the Pope-mobile to me. Put a big enough motor in it, and it's "to the bag-mobile, Robin !"

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                      I would love to see that...humm...maybe next Memorial Day.
                      Imagine seeing Alan punchdrumming live with a marching band...playing the theme from "Rocky"? THAT would be epic!!!

Imagine seeing Matthew Punchdrumming live with a marching band. Ditch the backward hat and they would think they got Orlando Bloom for their parade, and he was an awesome speed bagger. I'm pretty sure Matt could handle the punch drumming part also.

OK, you could hook my box to his with a cable about 50 feet behind, just to say I was there, representing the old guys. But if you remeber, EO's original box was here:

In Prague - Czech Republic 2008. Made by him two days before the YMCA European Festival.
                      Attached Files
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Homer
                        • May 2013

Awesome! Thanks for posting that. It might be a little while, but when i get to it, i'll take pics along the way(as Dee has advised), and post them. I'm thinking a hybrid of her box & EO's box design somehow.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...