• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghodge
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2013

Another Newbie

Just signing in for my initial post. I'm just getting into this really fun athletic challenge. I attached a picture of my set up. I have an X-Mark platform with a Deville swivel and a ProMex bag. Thanks to this forum for my choices. I also have the bible 2 hour DVD. That was a great investment for starting out right - Thanks Alan. Hope to spend many hours on this forum bagging and learning a new athletic skill.
    Gary
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ghodge; 03-30-2013, 09:38 AM.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum Gary! Nice set-up....I'm sure you'll be spending hours under that board (I know I do). With Alan's instruction, you'll be surprized at how quickly you'll 'get it'.

Be sure to post some video for us to see...and if you can, try to make it to the SPEED B.A.G. IV gathering in Keyport, NJ July 12th-14th. It's a GREAT time and a chance to lern from and hit with the best!

Cheers,
    -Zaza
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ghodge View Post
      Just signing in for my initial post. I'm just getting into this really fun athletic challenge. I attached a picture of my set up. I have an X-Mark platform with a Deville swivel and a ProMex bag. Thanks to this forum for my choices. I also have the bible 2 hour DVD. That was a great investment for starting out right - Thanks Alan. Hope to spend many hours on this forum bagging and learning a new athletic skill.
      Gary

Welcome Gary. That is a very solid looking setup you have. It may seem like there is a lot to learn but be patient, it's not a race. It may be slow at first but once you get the hang of passing the fists through the bag you should start progessing pretty quick. People somtimes get "stuck" at different points, for some its the reverse punches, for some elbows may be difficult and others find adding in techniques from the side are the challenge. But with a little patience and practice you'll get past it. I'm sure there is someone in here that has faced the same issue and can offer some help to get you past the hurdle if you hit one. I bet in a few months you will be amazed at how far you have progressed.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ghodge
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2013

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and thanks Alan. I've been going at for a couple weeks now and am working all your front and back of the bag techniques. I am starting to work different linking combinations. That seems to be where the fun really begins. I'm gonna get your book. A friend of mine has it and says the combination descriptions really helped. Thanks again.

Comment

• Jollygood49
          • Jan 2013

Welcome to the forum! You'll no doubt be able to find everything you need here to help you along the way with your new addiction.

Comment

• cmedinas88
            • Jan 2013

Welcome nice set up! Like jollygood says u will find alot here answer to any question u could possibly have.. I'm fairly new myself and have gained a lot from here and much more to learn. Welcome!!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by ghodge View Post
              Gary
              I think this is a good choice for the money. I just checked Amazon and it's going for $219 and it might even qualify for Free shipping!

What I like most about this X Mark platform is the solid wood drum. This is much better than the Balazs I-box platform that offers only the pressed wood drum. The solid drum will allow you to easily attach and secure a swivel – any swivel.

Welcome to the forum, Gary. I'm looking forward to seeing your platform in action!
              Attached Files
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• ghodge
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                I think this is a good choice for the money. I just checked Amazon and it's going for $219 and it might even qualify for Free shipping!

What I like most about this X Mark platform is the solid wood drum. This is much better than the Balazs I-box platform that offers only the pressed wood drum. The solid drum will allow you to easily attach and secure a swivel – any swivel.

Welcome to the forum, Gary. I'm looking forward to seeing your platform in action!
                I got it off ebay for $219 and free shipping. It is very solid. A couple issues though. The chain link swivel that it comes with was impossible to remove. I even tried to drill it out. I finally had to turn it over and rig it to install your swivel (which I love). I also had to get some extra rubber washers to allow it to really lock down solid. After that initial hassle it is rock solid and I am very happy with it. I got a Title adjustable platform for my work gym and the difference is very noticeable. There is almost no vibration in the XMark.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                  • Apr 2012

welcome to the forum
                  Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...