• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

The Over-Under?

Does anyone have a video of the "over-under"? I'm not sure exactly how that combination works.

thanks. fedora
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

You mean phantom punches over the elbow, then under the elbow?
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      You mean phantom punches over the elbow, then under the elbow?
      That must be it. Any video that shows the sequence would be appreciated.

thanks fedora

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Let me see what I can do... I know I have some really good SloMo of Ataraxis doing that move. It's mind-bending!

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Sorry... I was wrong....I only have it in real time & it is FAST!

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Fedora, There is an over-the-elbow, elbow, under-the-elbow that Deano, Juxt and ebozyn (and maybe others) do. Is that what you mean?

I can't find ebo's

Juxt: at 40 secs

Deano: various places

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Sorry... I was wrong....I only have it in real time & it is FAST!

Silly Rabbit....That IS Ataraxis in Slow motion.

And don't forget ebozyn, start at about 3:45

He had one where he explained how the "over-under the elbow" (Front Straight Punch [FSP] under and over the outward elbow) is easier if you open the bend of the elbow a little bit (straighten the elbow arm). But I can't find it on yt.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                Fedora, There is an over-the-elbow, elbow, under-the-elbow that Deano, Juxt and ebozyn (and maybe others) do. Is that what you mean?

I can't find ebo's

Juxt: at 40 secs

Deano: various places

Yup, that's the one. Wow, super impressive and awe inspiring to watch. What are the build up combo's to doing that? I'm just now starting to get 7 outa 10 under the elbow phantom punches. Really been working on it the last few days and I'd like to start gradually doing it over the top but it happens so fast that I'm not sure of the arm positions in the transitions.

fedora
                Last edited by fedora; 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• ebozyn
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2010

This is the way i do the over under Phantom strikes.

Ataraxis and Juxt do them Deano style which, is VERY cool.

I sort of do the over unders at a 45 degree angles from my point of view, where Deano style is truly side to side phantom strikes the way Deano created them.

Last edited by ebozyn; 03-19-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• ebozyn
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    Silly Rabbit....That IS Ataraxis in Slow motion.

And don't forget ebozyn, start at about 3:45

He had one where he explained how the "over-under the elbow" (Front Straight Punch [FSP] under and over the outward elbow) is easier if you open the bend of the elbow a little bit (straighten the elbow arm). But I can't find it on yt.

Here's the video AK

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++

I sort of do the over unders at a 45 degree angles from my point of view, where Deano style is truly side to side phantom strikes the way Deano created them.
                    Last edited by ebozyn; 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Hey, thanks a lot, my old eyes can actually follow that. That's exactly what I was looking for. That is one of the coolest looking combo's. I am going to be giving that some serious practice time. Where would I be without this forum?
                      Still just doing the basic triplet and some double punches with a fist roll thrown in now and then. That's all I ever knew how to do before. Thanks to all who posted the links here.

I was wondering if it would be possible to put ebo's videos in the archive section under combinations. It would make it easier to find for future reference.

fedora
                      Last edited by fedora; 03-19-2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                        Hey, thanks a lot, my old eyes can actually follow that. That's exactly what I was looking for. That is one of the coolest looking combo's. I am going to be giving that some serious practice time. Where would I be without this forum?
                        Still just doing the basic triplet and some double punches with a fist roll thrown in now and then. That's all I ever knew how to do before. Thanks to all who posted the links here.

I was wondering if it would be possible to put ebo's videos in the archive section under combinations. It would make it easier to find for future reference.

fedora
                        ...if you haven't yet, you really should get Alan's book... the don't call it the 'Bible' for nothin'!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

...if you haven't yet, you really should get Alan's book... the don't call it the 'Bible' for nothin'!

Sadly, the over and under combination was considered illegal in the US at that time and was not included in the original or updates versions of the book. Neither were several other speed bag combinations thought illegal or illogical at the time. Those who practiced it apparently escaped to the underground speed bag clubs down under in Australia. I could easily add another 10-12 pages of information about technique variations or advanced combinations I've learned in the past 3 years. (some of which I still cannot do justice too... )

I knew I should have taken that four year teaching job in Sydney back in the mid '70's. Another verse in my own road not taken. Had I gone, I might fully understand the Aussie style of bagging which Deano demonstrates so beautifully.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• AtTheCross
                            • Dec 2012

that's the video i've been wanting ebozyn, thanks!!!!
                            1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
                            Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
                            DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
                            Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
                            Retired Bags:
                            Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post

Exactly.

I have studied you and Deano doing this (on video, in slow motion, and a couple of days 1:1 with Deano in Jersey). The main difference is you (EBO) use more of a Front Straight Punch (FSP) under and over the elbow, hitting more of the Front panels of the bag and Deano uses more of a Hook Punch (Hook) with the front of his fist (front straight punch position) hitting directly into the side of the bag. Watch his hands in this video (not any over-under elbows used but they hit the same area when he does it).

What a treat it was to have Deano and his dad at the first Speedbag Gathering. Truly an awesome experience to meet these talented baggers from down under.

Notice in the above video he uses the back of his hands on the side of bag, so instead of a Side Double Punch (SDP) being a Front Circle Punch (FCP) and Side Single Punch (SSP) [ Remember: FCP + SSP = SDP with elbows up), Deano does it with the lead fist having the elbow down hitting the back of his lead (first) hand, and the second fist being a Hook punch to the side of the bag. You can actually do this with the elbows down and pretty much flipping the wrists just a bit to clear the bag on the other side.

Notice also when he does an Outward-Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES) his lead elbow hits and he drops the elbow so the bag hits the back of his hand, which would be impossible with the elbow up. At the completion of the technique (after the second fists hits in Hook Punch position) both of his elbows are down. Now Deano does not do a lot of Front-to-Back or Side-to-back, or back-to-side pass through figure 8 linking, so he gets away with his elbows down very well. Personally I never used that method, but obviously it works very well. I also know he has a pretty bad right shoulder, so he keeps it down as much as possible. I've learned that pain will make you modify your technique over time.

I think he learned that method from his Dad, Ted, who does it the same way, watch this video starting at about 1:00.

again, notice hitting the back of his hand, and the Hook punch landing on the side of the bag. Not a lot of front punches in this clip. There is something else to notice in this video.... (hmmm )

And watch Juxt (:48-1:29) and G-town (1:30 and elbows at 2:11-2:19) and you will see the same thing.

Almost every Outward Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES) utilizes the Hook Punch for the third punch in the sequence. So actually the phantom punches are becoming a hook punch over and under the elbow, not really a Straight Punch. Obviously either method will work.

There is something else to notice in this video.... (hmmm ) very obvious with G-town, and not his absolutely fascinating style which is just too cool for school. Seriously fun to watch.
                              Last edited by Speedbag; 03-20-2013, 02:42 AM.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...