• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottSmith
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2013

How To Height of speed bag

I know it would probably be just as easy to search the other threads. But, since I am new to this forum and must submit a message within 7 days, I thought I would just ask a few questions here.

1. At what height should the bag be? I have searched the internet and found several different answers. Bottom of bag at chin level or at tip of nose or at bridge of nose.
    2. Since I am also new to using a speedbag, are there any recommendations as to what size and manufacturer to go with? I currently have a Title Classic - 6" x 9"
  • Johnny5
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2013

Hi

First of all welcome to the forum. I'm new here too and just finding my feet.

I may be corrected by someone but I've always been told that the belly (fattest part) of the bag should be level with your mouth.

As for the bag preference, that's entirely up to you. Most people seem to have a number of size and manufacture of different bags depending on mood.

There are some good posts on people's choice of bags.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

As far as the height of the platform, yes having the belly of the bag even with your mouth is the accepted height when you are hitting the bag "Bible style". This is the principal interest on these forums. Boxing instructors will tell you to have the bottom of the bag level with your eyes, which is intended to keep you arms and hands up. Assuming that you are interested in learning Bible style the former is what you want to do. As far as bag size, that's largely personal preference. A 6x9 bag is favored as a good beginning size by most here. By starting out with the bag a little on the soft side it allows you to master the basics. Once those are achieved you can firm it up a little and the speed will increase.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ScottSmith View Post
        I know it would probably be just as easy to search the other threads. But, since I am new to this forum and must submit a message within 7 days, I thought I would just ask a few questions here.

1. At what height should the bag be? I have searched the internet and found several different answers. Bottom of bag at chin level or at tip of nose or at bridge of nose.
        Belly of Bag at mouth level is best to hit from all around. As Dutchman stated, Boxing coaches usually want the bag higher to training holding the arms up, but personally I think that is repetitvely training a wrong punching motion, pumping the fists up and down to hit more of a raking motion down the front of the bag.

2. Since I am also new to using a speedbag, are there any recommendations as to what size and manufacturer to go with? I currently have a Title Classic - 6" x 9"
        The Title Classic 9x6 is actually a bit smaller than the Regular Title 9x6 (Red Bag) and actually better compared to the yellow 8x5 in that photo, but the bag shape is a bit different. As Dutchman said, if you leave it a bit underinflated it should work as a beginner bag. Just restrain from really putting the power to it or it will be difficult to control.

One reason I actually like a bigger bag, such as the regular 9x6 or the 10x7 is when beginners start working the elbow strikes, particularly any of the four techniques that have a Downward Elbow, since the larger, longer bags will allow the board to be up just a bit higher and give more clearance room for the downward arcing fist. There is not a lot of room underneath the board to clear the fist when using a smaller bag, so be aware of that.

Oh, and take your classes off if you plan on using downward elbow techniques also. Your nose will thank you for that later.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ScottSmith
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2013

Thanks for the advice regarding the size of the speedbags. The regular Title bags are fatter and therefore easier to hit. I got the 10x7 and it is a lot easier to keep a rythm going. Much more encouraging for a beginner like myself.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks for the advice regarding the size of the speedbags. The regular Title bags are fatter and therefore easier to hit. I got the 10x7 and it is a lot easier to keep a rythm going. Much more encouraging for a beginner like myself.
            You probably sped up your advancement by going to the bigger, slower 10x7 bag at this point.

Remember, it is more of a "Control" bag than speed bag. It really doesn't matter how fast "you" or your hand speed is. IF you cannot control your repetitive swing size, repetitive punching power and movement timing, you will never control the speed bag well enough to "go fast" on the smaller, faster bags.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Crapsterface
              • Nov 2009

when I was in school i had a few different bags, I kept it level with the tagets at somones face I would aim for. When I bought a New bag I was disapointed with the speed, ( i had a cleto reyes before the latest at that time ) I took duct tape and made two jaw lines and a chin, eyebrow ridges, and an x where the nose was. I got so I can pic my targets as I hit it. it was a select 10 -4 bag. nice bag, just slower then what i was use to. My opinion, if its for boxing, bottom of the bag level with your chin, if your taller then your opnants adjust accordingly, if your training for a fight or whatever ( I got teased in school and did so lol, They all got unpleasantly suprised at fight time ) I also adjust the double end bag to the opponents head level I thought Id be fighing at one time or another

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...