• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Persistence = Success

I started trying to do the double side punch 3 weeks ago, trying everyday to do it. I watched all the video's, knew what I was supposed to do, but I just couldn't get the timing. I thought to myself numerous times "this is one move I may never get". But I kept working at it and for some reason a few days ago I did a FDP,RDP and went right into the SDP and just kept going with that combination over and over without crashing. I couldn't believe it, it finally came together even if it did take 3 weeks. For a newbie it was a pretty cool feeling.

I think having a better bag and swivel made a big difference. Plus having the setup in my garage where I could go out numerous times a day and work at it helped too. But without a doubt finding this site and watching Alan's video's along with the others posted here was the biggest factor in helping me progress. Thanks to all here who participate in the forum.

I can see where if a person only goes to a gym 3 times a week, which is typical, and spends a minimal amount of time trying to get some of these combinations may give up on it. But if a 62 year old can finally pick it up with some persistence, I know others can if they just keep at it.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Excellent! Being 51 and only hitting for two years (in March 2013), I'm with you. Practice makes perfect (or something like that). I have a platform in the basement & the garage and hit both everyday. Once winter is over and I can clean out the garage a bit, it's time to mount a vertical bag and add that to the workout.

Keep on hittin'!
    -Za
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• florian 380
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by fedora View Post
      I started trying to do the double side punch 3 weeks ago, trying everyday to do it. I watched all the video's, knew what I was supposed to do, but I just couldn't get the timing. I thought to myself numerous times "this is one move I may never get". But I kept working at it and for some reason a few days ago I did a FDP,RDP and went right into the SDP and just kept going with that combination over and over without crashing. I couldn't believe it, it finally came together even if it did take 3 weeks. For a newbie it was a pretty cool feeling.

I think having a better bag and swivel made a big difference. Plus having the setup in my garage where I could go out numerous times a day and work at it helped too. But without a doubt finding this site and watching Alan's video's along with the others posted here was the biggest factor in helping me progress. Thanks to all here who participate in the forum.

I can see where if a person only goes to a gym 3 times a week, which is typical, and spends a minimal amount of time trying to get some of these combinations may give up on it. But if a 62 year old can finally pick it up with some persistence, I know others can if they just keep at it.

fedora
      I have big problems ,too with the SDP especially getting in to it from a FDP - RDP
      I watched Alans youtube video about the SDP alot of times but i just dont't get it yet.
      but it's getting better .....

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

fedora
        ...and that is the way it works. Suddenly, by accident or intention, your hands and bag are in the right place, it works, and YOU FEEL IT. That is the Eureka moment... and after a few more, it all makes sense. and you wonder why it was so difficult to do in the first place.

now that your feel FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP. Mix them up and do them in different order. Try

FDP ' ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP... (notice there are three rebounds inbetween. advanced method is one rebound.)

SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP...repeat, other side.

RDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP (can also do RDP ' SSP = advanced)

Originally posted by florian 380 View Post
        I have big problems ,too with the SDP especially getting in to it from a FDP - RDP
        I watched Alans youtube video about the SDP alot of times but i just dont't get it yet.
        Florian, If you are having problems with this combination it is probably due to the transition to the Side Single Punch set-up of the SDP. That is the only tricky part. So, let's look at the RDP ' ' SDP part, and actually break that down to the hardest part, getting the lead (first) fist of the RDP over to the Side position.

Here is a suggestion: Try doing RDP ' ' SSP, ...or... RDP ' ' ' SSP. (you can do this with 2 or 3 rebounds. The Side Single Punch (SSP) often allows that option)

The point is this will eliminate worrying about the second fist of the RDP, which simply passes to the front to lead the SDP. That fist just passes straight from back to front. The LEAD fist of the RDP is usually the problem since it has to contact behind the bag, pass through and veer to side. actually it will end up about 2 inches or so away from where it contacted the bag in the RDP. It will just veer over to the next side panel of the bag. Do not bring it all the way to the front, then position it out to the side.
        As soon as it hits in RDP, just angle it (almost a wrist move..) out slightly to the side. the bag is up on the board for that instant and out of the way and should not interfere.

so, The RDP ' ' SSP would be: R-L ' ' R (the left (second fist of RDP) will just end up at your chin.

or R-L ' ' ' R (* note 3 rebounds)

Anyway, that is a suggest to try and feel that movement.

If that doesn't work, another suggestion might be to do the combination in the reverse order. SDP ' ' ' RDP. (note 3 rebounds) L-R ' ' ' R-L, and you can also do it L-R ' ' ' L-R. either way is correct. Right handed people prefer the first way, left handed prefer the second. I have often found doing a problematic combination backward made it easier to learn the other way.

hope it helps.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          now that your feel FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP. Mix them up and do them in different order. Try

FDP ' ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP... (notice there are three rebounds inbetween. advanced method is one rebound.)

SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP...repeat, other side.

RDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP (can also do RDP ' SSP = advanced)
          Thanks Alan, I'll start doing these different combo's to give me some variety and new skill set.

Comment

• florian 380
            • Nov 2012

Thank you Alan !!!!! I'm gonna practice this all weekend
            Gonna watch the dvd & read the book also ....

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

fedora
              A tip of the hat to you , fedora, for your persistence. Practice and patience pays off. Isn't a great feeling when you finally nail a combination that you've been practicing forever? Then one day, BAM, you got it. And after that, it's just a matter of time before it's second nature.

And another tip of the chapeau for doing this at age 62. It just goes to show that us old farts can hang in there with the young bucks. Good job and congrats.

Florian and fedora - isn't it great that you virtually get immediate response to your concerns from the man who wrote the book on speed bagging? Try posting a question on any other forum, and see if you get individually custom responses from the authority on the subject. Gotta love this forum.

Comment

• florian 380
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                A tip of the hat to you , fedora, for your persistence. Practice and patience pays off. Isn't a great feeling when you finally nail a combination that you've been practicing forever? Then one day, BAM, you got it. And after that, it's just a matter of time before it's second nature.

And another tip of the chapeau for doing this at age 62. It just goes to show that us old farts can hang in there with the young bucks. Good job and congrats.

Florian and fedora - isn't it great that you virtually get immediate response to your concerns from the man who wrote the book on speed bagging? Try posting a question on any other forum, and see if you get individually custom responses from the authority on the subject. Gotta love this forum.
                yes thats true !!!! you always get an answer & tips & help and everything ....(real quick)
                from the best baggers in the world . you can find that nowhere else !!!!! everything i know about bagging i learned here . i love the speedbagforum !!! thank you guys

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

yes thats true !!!! you always get an answer & tips & help and everything ....(real quick)
                  from the best baggers in the world . you can find that nowhere else !!!!! everything i know about bagging i learned here . i love the speedbagforum !!! thank you guys
                  glad to help.

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                  And thus, the dream of one Tim Platt has come true. His idea, as he pitched it to me lo seven years ago, was to create the first and finest online forum-training community for baggers to get together, share knowledge and video, and help one another in pretty much real time. Almost like privately tutoring, but free to those who will have the discipline to listen and practice.

I may be "an" authority, but far from "the" authority. There are actually many "authorities" among us. Paranday and Dutchman's history on equipment and those of yesteryear are amazing. We have master craftsman, making amazing home made wall and free standing units, modifying bags, and making customized swivels far better than what was ever available. We have people modifying cars and trucks to attach speed bags, and the old world skill of vertical bagging is making a huge rival. I had never hit (or heard of) vertical speed bags until I saw it here.

I'm fortunate to say that several of "my students" (?) have gone on to now teach me new things, skills I never thought of, including Tim, Skunk, Ebozyn, Billmack, G-Town, Juxt, TommyT, Novaspeedbagger and Dee Pooler. Each one has sent me back to my own bag wondering, "how did they do that, and why does it work.. and how can it be written"

My personal dream was to teach the world what I knew about the speed bag, and now the world is teaching me. I'd call that a fair exchange.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...