Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Seeking Advice

Question:
    Hello, I am looking for some recommendations for a heavier speed bag that will give more of a cardio type workout if I have any lower body injuries. The biggest size that will fit my board would be around 10" long.

Background:
    I got back into martial arts at the start of the lockdown last year and started retraining in boxing, Thai boxing and grappling with relatives five days a week. Upon watching some videos on using the speed bag by Ramsey Dewey and the Punch Professor:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEsYS_R45HM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmCh9-3Ypgk
    I learned that the speed bag could be a more versatile tool than I'd realised, and invested in a cheap one. Then I noticed my parrying skills improving rapidly when I was sparring. Now I'm using a Title 6x9 Super Fast Speed Bag on a home made platform, and have a 5x8 Platinum Perilous, and 5x7.5 Meister speed bag on the way. I'm really enjoying using the speed bag in it's own end and learning new tricks on it, and am eyeing up a Cleto Reyes bag for the future.

Welcome Jim. It's a strange coincidence but the first bag I bought was a title super fast 6 x 9 followed by Meister 5 x 7.5, a cleto 6 x 9, and a platinum 6 x 9. I would definitely recommend adding a cleto to your collection. It's a bit of a price jump but worth it. The balazs lazer is also a bit pricey but if you are looking for a heavier bag that is a good one. Unlike some heavy speed bags the lazer is also really fast. A lot of thought went into making that bag and the leather on it is top notch. Another modern heavier speed bag is the title big blue(super speed 10 x 12) but I have no experience with it. There are vintage "striking" bags that also have what you are looking for. If you search striking bag on the forum you will find a lot more information from people with much more experience and knowledge than myself.

Comment

Cheers for the welcome Pete. I'm going to modify my speed bag platform tomorrow to allow it to take a 8x11 bag. I think the blue 10x12 would be a tad too big for it. Do you think a Super Speed 8x11, or a Lazer 8x11 would give a more strenuous workout?

Comment

The lazer for sure
        Speed Bag - Lazer (balazsboxing.com)

Comment

The Title Big Blue was designed to be used on a platform with a minimum diameter of 24" The old school bags that Pete mentioned require on average a 30" minimum diameter platform, with some large enough to need 36" to 42"diameter.

Comment

Welcome Jim B. I'M sure you will really like this forum, a lot of good people with great information. Sorry I do not have enough knowledge to help your with your problem but the "Dutchman" sure does. Welcome again and enjoy the journey.

Comment

Thanks again. I ordered a medium Cleto last night, so will give a larger bag some thought over the coming months. I've now Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-20_08-32-49.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	740.1 KB
ID:	125160doubled the thickness of my platform, reinforced it, and brought it further out so it should have no problems fitting the larger Lazer.

Comment

Good call, and nice set up.. The balazs bag will put it's sturdiness to the test

Comment

The Platinum Perilous arrived today. It seems a good bag apart from it hanging squint. Is this likely to affect its performance? I'm in the UK which will make it a hassle returning it to Forza Sports in the US.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                    The Platinum Perilous arrived today. It seems a good bag apart from it hanging squint. Is this likely to affect its performance? I'm in the UK which will make it a hassle returning it to Forza Sports in the US.
                    No, I have bags that are worse than that, it doesn't effect the performance of the bag, I also had bags that were shaped slightly off or oblong, The only time I sent a bag back because it wasn't shaped properly was the title black speed bag when they first came out, Even though it had a panel that was shaped more off than I would've preferred, it had no effect on the bags performance, I was just pissed because of the cost of the bag and they couldn't get the shaped right, so I sent it back.

Comment

That's great to hear, I'll look forward to giving the bag a good rattle tomorrow

Comment

BTW, the cleto reyes bags are lightweight, So if your looking for a more heavier bag to get more of a muscle workout than you went in the wrong direction with the cletos, I'm not saying their bad bags, they have great qualities and I had the whole set of bags and then some, The only reason I sold all my Cleto bags was because they were just to lightweight for me and I don't like banana shaped bags. Even though I don't have a Balazs, I would probably go in that direction only because I was told from alan that they are heavier in weight than other bags of the same size but still hit good, If you really want a heavier bag than look for a Vintage speed bag, Those will build up your power.

Comment

Does anyone here have experience hitting on the largest Balazs bag, Out of the two models they offer, which one is heavier in weight

Comment

Originally posted by ventanakaz View Post
                            Does anyone here have experience hitting on the largest Balazs bag, Out of the two models they offer, which one is heavier in weight
                            The lazer is much heavier than the lightning. The double layered kevlar bladder gives it some weight. They also have a money back guarantee if you don't like it. I haven't picked up one of there DEB's yet but it looks nice. It has the short loops like the tuff wear DEB's.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

The lazer is much heavier than the lightning. The double layered kevlar bladder gives it some weight. They also have a money back guarantee if you don't like it. I haven't picked up one of there DEB's yet but it looks nice. It has the short loops like the tuff wear DEB's.
                              I looked at their website and that's what I thought, seeing they called the lighting, lightweight, As for their deb bag, there is a major flaw in a design that has metal loops built into the bag, upper cuts, overhands, upward and downward elbows don't appreciate hitting the metal loops, I've hit metal on deb bags along time ago and it didn't feel good, They need to rethink the loops and copy the short leather loops you see on my Tuf-Wear deb bag.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...
                              X