• Show
Clear All
  • Barbarus
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2020

I need help with starting up.

Hi all guys.

I'm new at this terrific forum.
    Let me introduce myself a bit. Harry, 32 years old living in the Netherlands.

Desperate to have my own setup at home ( descent platform etc) started looking around to buy a nice set. I can't find any over here. Googled myself seasick to be honest hehe.

Ofcourse I found Title / Valor / Balasz .. but the freight costs to get it home is beyond..

So my question to all of you baggersz .. what would you suggest? Let me hear your thoughts.. also, which platform/bag combination would you recommend.

Thank you all in advance!

Harry
  • GumbysUncle
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2020

I like these pro-mex bags from Title. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Mex-Pro...g/383095831545 says free ship worldwide and does not list the Netherlands as excluded. The red 9x6 is a good start. For a platform if you are handy try building one. Here is my set up made from 2 table rounds, 2x4s, various hardware and your swivel of choice

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200126_150449.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	121818

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

GumbysUncle's homemade platform is a more solid design than the Balazs. You can make a wall mount adjustable platform if you prefer by doing something like this guy did,

The platform in the video could be improved by using two triangular braces arranged like what GumbysUncle did. Even with only one brace it's still better than some store bought platforms. Many of the manufactured speed bag platforms are rubbish designs with lots of vibration.

Comment

• Barbarus
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2020

Thank you guys for this information.
        This seems a fairly good option. Checked some wood suppliers and found a shop who sells round shaped Plywood 2.5 cm thick plates. I might order 2 of them and glue it to a 5 cm thick plate. Thick enough I guess? And about 75 cm in width.

Comment

• DizzyD
          • Jun 2020

Hi Barbarus, same with me here in Germany. Not really much to choose from, cause often company’s don’t ship here or it’s quite expensive.

I have build my own setup. Not mounted to the wall cause it comes with less noise and my ceiling is to low for an wall-mounted system. I used 2x 2,7cm glued them an put approx. 60kg of sand on top. Solid as a rock!

Comment

• Barbarus
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2020

Hi Dizzy,

I'm curious about your setup. Are you able to post some pics of it? Especially the way you made the construction.

Thank you.

Cheers

Comment

• DizzyD
              • Jun 2020

I used full glued wood for the top platform (160x80cm), 2 of them each 2,7cm thick. The wood I painted 2 times with a transparent varnish. The construction beneath is made of 10/10cm construction beams. The smaller parts are 8/4. The vertical ones are 189cm in height. Ordered them cut to the length i wanted in my nearby hardware store.
              The swivel and bags I use most are about 30cm from the top of the swivel to the bottom of the bag. I recommend planning this to get the right height of the system. To make it a little hight-adjustable, I use the mats you can see on the floor, 2 of them 1cm each. Combined with shoes/no shoes that’s enough to adjust to different bag sizes if necessary :-)
              I used a special screw system of “spax” called “hi-force/in-force”. Maybe there are similar ones from other companies. Worked well for me.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Barbarus View Post
                Hi all guys.

I'm new at this terrific forum.
                Let me introduce myself a bit. Harry, 32 years old living in the Netherlands.

Desperate to have my own setup at home ( descent platform etc) started looking around to buy a nice set. I can't find any over here. Googled myself seasick to be honest hehe.

Ofcourse I found Title / Valor / Balasz .. but the freight costs to get it home is beyond..

So my question to all of you baggersz .. what would you suggest? Let me hear your thoughts.. also, which platform/bag combination would you recommend.

Thank you all in advance!

Harry
                Hey Barabus. Welcome to the Forum.

United States postal (parcel post rate) to Netherlands or "4 pounds" which is 2 or 3 bags is $25.48.

Weight
                not over
                (lbs.)
                Parcel
                Weight
                not over
                (lbs.)
                Parcel
                Weight
                not over
                (lbs.)
                Parcel
                1 $17.50 25 $91.95 49 $167.85
                2 20.05 26 95.10 50 171.00
                3 22.90 27 98.30 51 174.15
                4 25.80 28 101.45 52 177.35

I have no idea about your customs but if $100.00 marked as "gift". ???

It's do-able.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Barbarus
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2020

Originally posted by DizzyD View Post
                  I used full glued wood for the top platform (160x80cm), 2 of them each 2,7cm thick. The wood I painted 2 times with a transparent varnish. The construction beneath is made of 10/10cm construction beams. The smaller parts are 8/4. The vertical ones are 189cm in height. Ordered them cut to the length i wanted in my nearby hardware store.
                  The swivel and bags I use most are about 30cm from the top of the swivel to the bottom of the bag. I recommend planning this to get the right height of the system. To make it a little hight-adjustable, I use the mats you can see on the floor, 2 of them 1cm each. Combined with shoes/no shoes that’s enough to adjust to different bag sizes if necessary :-)
                  I used a special screw system of “spax” called “hi-force/in-force”. Maybe there are similar ones from other companies. Worked well for me.
                  That's pretty well built. Interesting.
                  thank you very much for the effort. I've got some nice ideas to work out.. and pretty sure it'll work.
                  When I'm finished, will sure post some pics.
                  Thanks!

Comment

• Barbarus
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Hey Barabus. Welcome to the Forum.

United States postal (parcel post rate) to Netherlands or "4 pounds" which is 2 or 3 bags is $25.48.

Weight
                    not over
                    (lbs.)
                    Parcel
                    Weight
                    not over
                    (lbs.)
                    Parcel
                    Weight
                    not over
                    (lbs.)
                    Parcel
                    1 $17.50 25 $91.95 49 $167.85
                    2 20.05 26 95.10 50 171.00
                    3 22.90 27 98.30 51 174.15
                    4 25.80 28 101.45 52 177.35

I have no idea about your customs but if $100.00 marked as "gift". ???

It's do-able.
                    Good evening!

Thank you very much.
                    Customs marked as $100.00 would certainly help.
                    But the problem is that filthy virus at this moment.
                    As I've got some input now.. planned to build my own. Probably with a sandbag on top to make it solid as a rock. Ordered the title swivel and fast bag already. Hope it'll be finished within 1 1.5 month.

Thank you al guys! When I reach in to problem I'll give a shout.

Stay safe.

Comment

• Barbarus
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jun 2020

Hi guys.

I'm finding out which wood I should use for making the platform. There are 3 options which I find attractive:

1: Birch wood about 2 - 3 layers ( 3 inches thick )
                      Is this usable?
                      2: Oak approximately 3 inches.
                      3: Ply wood, several layers.

Which option would be the best.

Also, square platform as good as round shaped?

Cheers.

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Barbarus View Post
                        Hi guys.

I'm finding out which wood I should use for making the platform. There are 3 options which I find attractive:

1: Birch wood about 2 - 3 layers ( 3 inches thick )
                        Is this usable?
                        2: Oak approximately 3 inches.
                        3: Ply wood, several layers.

Which option would be the best.

Also, square platform as good as round shaped?

Cheers.
                        I've punched on all sort of speed bag platforms, including some made with plywood. Honestly I don't think the type of wood makes a big difference. It also doesn't really matter whether it is round or square - but square has edges that you might hurt yourself on worse (if the platform was low and someone walked into it - don't laugh - it happens).

From an aesthetics standpoint, oak would probably look nice.

Comment

• Barbarus
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Tim View Post

I've punched on all sort of speed bag platforms, including some made with plywood. Honestly I don't think the type of wood makes a big difference. It also doesn't really matter whether it is round or square - but square has edges that you might hurt yourself on worse (if the platform was low and someone walked into it - don't laugh - it happens).

From an aesthetics standpoint, oak would probably look nice.
                          Thanks for your reply.
                          Thickness of the platform more importantly in the end?
                          As I was comparing the hardness of several woodtypes, it seems the Birch is the strongest. Though as hell.
                          This type of wood used for making wooden kids toys etcetera.
                          Oak has the disadvantage being rather small. So you definitely have more problems finding a nice and thick piece.

About the square edges... this will be round. Much safer indeed.

Choices Choices.

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

What diameter are you thinking of? 76cm would be nice to accommodate extra large bags if you ever want to punch them too.

Comment

• Barbarus
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jun 2020

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                              What diameter are you thinking of? 76cm would be nice to accommodate extra large bags if you ever want to punch them too.
                              Thought of 70 cm. I've got a corner which is about 70 cm in width. 70 enough for some bigger bags?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...