• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Barbarus View Post

Thought of 70 cm. I've got a corner which is about 70 cm in width. 70 enough for some bigger bags?
    That's better than the standard 61 cm sold here. Birch is a nice looking wood and so is oak, either is a good choice.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post

I've punched on all sort of speed bag platforms, including some made with plywood. Honestly I don't think the type of wood makes a big difference. It also doesn't really matter whether it is round or square - but square has edges that you might hurt yourself on worse (if the platform was low and someone walked into it - don't laugh - it happens).

From an aesthetics standpoint, oak would probably look nice.
      Exactly Right. I have found the "sturdiness" of the board, the better it is, regardless of material. Of course a "heavier board" (thicker) may be more sturdy with less rattle.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• pinzpirate
        • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Barbarus View Post

Thought of 70 cm. I've got a corner which is about 70 cm in width. 70 enough for some bigger bags?
        That will accommodate 10 inch long bags with any swivel 70 cm is 27.5 inches Most of us are using 24 in. drums
        Unless you find yourself liking really big bags you should be in great shape

Cabinet or marine grade plywood can make a nice drum Inexpensive and easy if you laminate and finish it properly
        Most things made out hardwood that are large like table tops are made out of pieces cut to length and prepped with
        planer and joiner machines and glued edge to edge to make the width A lot of people don't have this kind wood
        working equipment and or the experience with materials involved Luckily most of us have resources talk to your buddies
        in the trades The resources you have may help you decide on materials to use You won't have to look very hard on
        This forum to find sturdy and simple platform designs especially made out wood

Comment

• Barbarus
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by pinzpirate View Post
          That will accommodate 10 inch long bags with any swivel 70 cm is 27.5 inches Most of us are using 24 in. drums
          Unless you find yourself liking really big bags you should be in great shape

Cabinet or marine grade plywood can make a nice drum Inexpensive and easy if you laminate and finish it properly
          Most things made out hardwood that are large like table tops are made out of pieces cut to length and prepped with
          planer and joiner machines and glued edge to edge to make the width A lot of people don't have this kind wood
          working equipment and or the experience with materials involved Luckily most of us have resources talk to your buddies
          in the trades The resources you have may help you decide on materials to use You won't have to look very hard on
          This forum to find sturdy and simple platform designs especially made out wood

I found a massive oak table top about 2 2,25 inch thick.
          This seems perfect. But is a edge to edge platform usable?

Thanks guys.

Comment

• pinzpirate
            • Feb 2020

Sounds like you will have very nice drum A tombstone shaped drum is very practical for a fixed height
            platform The one at my shop is supported at the wall with heavy gauge steel angle and uses a strut to
            support the rounded end It is very stout and very stiff and so simple I don't see any reason you couldn't
            build it in a corner and make it half round so you won't have any protruding corners As far the support
            being "edge to edge" on a round drum you would want to make it a bit narrower for better weight distribution
            If you use a tombstone design it won't matter I'm not the only one using a set up that doesn't have a round
            drum I think it was Cazbag who made or found something like a table top and mounted it in his workout area
            with multiple swivels

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...