Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinzpirate
    replied
    Sounds like you will have very nice drum A tombstone shaped drum is very practical for a fixed height
    platform The one at my shop is supported at the wall with heavy gauge steel angle and uses a strut to
    support the rounded end It is very stout and very stiff and so simple I don't see any reason you couldn't
    build it in a corner and make it half round so you won't have any protruding corners As far the support
    being "edge to edge" on a round drum you would want to make it a bit narrower for better weight distribution
    If you use a tombstone design it won't matter I'm not the only one using a set up that doesn't have a round
    drum I think it was Cazbag who made or found something like a table top and mounted it in his workout area
    with multiple swivels

Leave a comment:

• Barbarus
    replied
    Originally posted by pinzpirate View Post
    That will accommodate 10 inch long bags with any swivel 70 cm is 27.5 inches Most of us are using 24 in. drums
    Unless you find yourself liking really big bags you should be in great shape

Cabinet or marine grade plywood can make a nice drum Inexpensive and easy if you laminate and finish it properly
    Most things made out hardwood that are large like table tops are made out of pieces cut to length and prepped with
    planer and joiner machines and glued edge to edge to make the width A lot of people don't have this kind wood
    working equipment and or the experience with materials involved Luckily most of us have resources talk to your buddies
    in the trades The resources you have may help you decide on materials to use You won't have to look very hard on
    This forum to find sturdy and simple platform designs especially made out wood

I found a massive oak table top about 2 2,25 inch thick.
    This seems perfect. But is a edge to edge platform usable?

Thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• pinzpirate
    replied
    Originally posted by Barbarus View Post

Thought of 70 cm. I've got a corner which is about 70 cm in width. 70 enough for some bigger bags?
    That will accommodate 10 inch long bags with any swivel 70 cm is 27.5 inches Most of us are using 24 in. drums
    Unless you find yourself liking really big bags you should be in great shape

Cabinet or marine grade plywood can make a nice drum Inexpensive and easy if you laminate and finish it properly
    Most things made out hardwood that are large like table tops are made out of pieces cut to length and prepped with
    planer and joiner machines and glued edge to edge to make the width A lot of people don't have this kind wood
    working equipment and or the experience with materials involved Luckily most of us have resources talk to your buddies
    in the trades The resources you have may help you decide on materials to use You won't have to look very hard on
    This forum to find sturdy and simple platform designs especially made out wood

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post

I've punched on all sort of speed bag platforms, including some made with plywood. Honestly I don't think the type of wood makes a big difference. It also doesn't really matter whether it is round or square - but square has edges that you might hurt yourself on worse (if the platform was low and someone walked into it - don't laugh - it happens).

From an aesthetics standpoint, oak would probably look nice.
    Exactly Right. I have found the "sturdiness" of the board, the better it is, regardless of material. Of course a "heavier board" (thicker) may be more sturdy with less rattle.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied

Thought of 70 cm. I've got a corner which is about 70 cm in width. 70 enough for some bigger bags?
    That's better than the standard 61 cm sold here. Birch is a nice looking wood and so is oak, either is a good choice.

Leave a comment:

• Barbarus
    replied
    Originally posted by paranday View Post
    What diameter are you thinking of? 76cm would be nice to accommodate extra large bags if you ever want to punch them too.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    replied
    What diameter are you thinking of? 76cm would be nice to accommodate extra large bags if you ever want to punch them too.

Leave a comment:

• Barbarus
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post

I've punched on all sort of speed bag platforms, including some made with plywood. Honestly I don't think the type of wood makes a big difference. It also doesn't really matter whether it is round or square - but square has edges that you might hurt yourself on worse (if the platform was low and someone walked into it - don't laugh - it happens).

Thanks for your reply.
    Thickness of the platform more importantly in the end?
    As I was comparing the hardness of several woodtypes, it seems the Birch is the strongest. Though as hell.
    This type of wood used for making wooden kids toys etcetera.
    Oak has the disadvantage being rather small. So you definitely have more problems finding a nice and thick piece.

About the square edges... this will be round. Much safer indeed.

Choices Choices.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Hi guys.

I'm finding out which wood I should use for making the platform. There are 3 options which I find attractive:

1: Birch wood about 2 - 3 layers ( 3 inches thick )
    Is this usable?
    2: Oak approximately 3 inches.
    3: Ply wood, several layers.

Which option would be the best.

Also, square platform as good as round shaped?

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Barbarus
    replied
    Hi guys.

I'm finding out which wood I should use for making the platform. There are 3 options which I find attractive:

1: Birch wood about 2 - 3 layers ( 3 inches thick )
    Is this usable?
    2: Oak approximately 3 inches.
    3: Ply wood, several layers.

Which option would be the best.

Also, square platform as good as round shaped?

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Barbarus
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Hey Barabus. Welcome to the Forum.

United States postal (parcel post rate) to Netherlands or "4 pounds" which is 2 or 3 bags is $25.48.

Weight
    not over
    (lbs.)
    Parcel
    Weight
    not over
    (lbs.)
    Parcel
    Weight
    not over
    (lbs.)
    Parcel
    1 $17.50 25 $91.95 49 $167.85
    2 20.05 26 95.10 50 171.00
    3 22.90 27 98.30 51 174.15
    4 25.80 28 101.45 52 177.35

I have no idea about your customs but if $100.00 marked as "gift". ???

It's do-able.
    Good evening!

Thank you very much.
    Customs marked as $100.00 would certainly help.
    But the problem is that filthy virus at this moment.
    As I've got some input now.. planned to build my own. Probably with a sandbag on top to make it solid as a rock. Ordered the title swivel and fast bag already. Hope it'll be finished within 1 1.5 month.

Thank you al guys! When I reach in to problem I'll give a shout.

Stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• Barbarus
    replied
    Originally posted by DizzyD View Post
    I used full glued wood for the top platform (160x80cm), 2 of them each 2,7cm thick. The wood I painted 2 times with a transparent varnish. The construction beneath is made of 10/10cm construction beams. The smaller parts are 8/4. The vertical ones are 189cm in height. Ordered them cut to the length i wanted in my nearby hardware store.
    The swivel and bags I use most are about 30cm from the top of the swivel to the bottom of the bag. I recommend planning this to get the right height of the system. To make it a little hight-adjustable, I use the mats you can see on the floor, 2 of them 1cm each. Combined with shoes/no shoes that’s enough to adjust to different bag sizes if necessary :-)
    I used a special screw system of “spax” called “hi-force/in-force”. Maybe there are similar ones from other companies. Worked well for me.
    That's pretty well built. Interesting.
    thank you very much for the effort. I've got some nice ideas to work out.. and pretty sure it'll work.
    When I'm finished, will sure post some pics.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Hi all guys.

I'm new at this terrific forum.
    Let me introduce myself a bit. Harry, 32 years old living in the Netherlands.

Desperate to have my own setup at home ( descent platform etc) started looking around to buy a nice set. I can't find any over here. Googled myself seasick to be honest hehe.

Ofcourse I found Title / Valor / Balasz .. but the freight costs to get it home is beyond..

So my question to all of you baggersz .. what would you suggest? Let me hear your thoughts.. also, which platform/bag combination would you recommend.

Thank you all in advance!

Harry
    Hey Barabus. Welcome to the Forum.

United States postal (parcel post rate) to Netherlands or "4 pounds" which is 2 or 3 bags is $25.48.

Weight
    not over
    (lbs.)
    Parcel
    Weight
    not over
    (lbs.)
    Parcel
    Weight
    not over
    (lbs.)
    Parcel
    1 $17.50 25 $91.95 49 $167.85
    2 20.05 26 95.10 50 171.00
    3 22.90 27 98.30 51 174.15
    4 25.80 28 101.45 52 177.35

I have no idea about your customs but if $100.00 marked as "gift". ???

It's do-able.

Leave a comment:

• DizzyD
    replied
    I used full glued wood for the top platform (160x80cm), 2 of them each 2,7cm thick. The wood I painted 2 times with a transparent varnish. The construction beneath is made of 10/10cm construction beams. The smaller parts are 8/4. The vertical ones are 189cm in height. Ordered them cut to the length i wanted in my nearby hardware store.
    The swivel and bags I use most are about 30cm from the top of the swivel to the bottom of the bag. I recommend planning this to get the right height of the system. To make it a little hight-adjustable, I use the mats you can see on the floor, 2 of them 1cm each. Combined with shoes/no shoes that’s enough to adjust to different bag sizes if necessary :-)
    I used a special screw system of “spax” called “hi-force/in-force”. Maybe there are similar ones from other companies. Worked well for me.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Barbarus
    replied
    Hi Dizzy,

I'm curious about your setup. Are you able to post some pics of it? Especially the way you made the construction.

Thank you.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...