• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Discussing the Everlast 4200 Bags

Ok, I have two 4200s - some of you have several! One of mine has the Olympic markings and the other seems to be a "regular" 4200. I have an Enkay #2 bladder in both.The Olympic bag moves much faster then the other. It's extremely responsive and I love it but it's old and don't want to beat the hell out of it in case I never find one again.

Does anybody know why some 4200 bags are seemingly better or perhaps just very different than others?

Anything else you would like to add about your 4200 bag(s) would be interesting to read about.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Here is what I got. I don’t know enough about the history of the bags to guess the vintage of each bag. I can say the bottom example on the shelf looks like the oldest and it is hands down the best one to hit. The top row aren’t broken in ( and probably never will be ). I’m thinking they would perform better after the welting flattened out.

BagBoy, that bottom bag came with the bottom right swivel on your board. Hopefully we can date them....I’m curious.
    Attached Files

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Louis, your pic tells quite a story. Each bag is a different shape. I have four 4200's myself and each one also is different. I do not know their build dates, so I really cannot speak to this topic as Dutchman can. It seems to me that there were ups and downs over the years as far as quality. One interesting part of the bag that speaks to quality is the red leather "lapels" that cover the lace holes. The quality of that particular piece of leather seems to follow the quality trends for the bags in general.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
        Here is what I got. I don’t know enough about the history of the bags to guess the vintage of each bag. I can say the bottom example on the shelf looks like the oldest and it is hands down the best one to hit. The top row aren’t broken in ( and probably never will be ). I’m thinking they would perform better after the welting flattened out.

BagBoy, that bottom bag came with the bottom right swivel on your board. Hopefully we can date them....I’m curious.

Great collection. You can clearly see some individual differences in shapes of those bags. Some fatter at the top than others. But all have the red beaded seam. I thinking when I started bagging back in 1972 they had the leather seam, not red plastic. But I may have that confused with Tufwear bag, very popular at the time and similar to the everlast models. My instructor Dr. Schroeder had tufwear bags but when bought my own they were everlast, usually the 4200. Went through a bunch of them back then.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jun 2019

Thanks, Mr.Kahn

As far as dating the worn older bag, here are a few clues. I’ll attach a couple pics detailing minor differences between the bottom of that bag and the others. The 4200 stamp is a little higher on the worn bag as well with no ‘Choice of Champions’ stamped under the Everlast logo. It’s also doesn’t have the red ‘lapel’ Rusty mentioned. The worn bag’s box had the name Cassius Clay in the list of hall of famers. Did Everlast ever recognize Clay’s 1964 name change and reflect Ali on their packaging and if so I wonder when?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 03-14-2020, 04:52 AM. Reason: I keep finding more differences, like that stupid video bar game. Except I’m not drunk and I’m not trying to find minor differences in nipples and thongs.

Comment

• Zaz
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2018

My experience with the 4200 is quite limited. I was lucky to find two 4200 in perfect condition with the original plastic bladder on Ebay. I sold one because the two bags seemed identical ... I don't often hit my 4200 because I want it to last a long time. For me, my 4200 is a memory of the days when Everlast was the best manufacturer of boxing equipment.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

We've talked about this in the past. The "Pro" line of bags came into being in the early 1960's after Everlast reduced the number of bags in their catalog. Apparently they would make a bag on special order for a particular fighter or trainer and put it in the catalog, a practice that they did up into the 1950's. The Pro bags were made of kid leather with red leather welting. They were made this way up into the late 1980's (from what I've observed). I'm not absolutely positive, but I surmise that the plastic welting was the result of the beginning of the speed bag line being made overseas. It seems to coincide with the introduction of the new regulations in regard to the tanning of leather in the US. These regulations had a definite impact on the sporting goods industry, as well as clothing.
              I remember seeing those boxes at the two major sporting goods outlets in San Diego back in the late 1970's (One was a local chain,the other a family run operation in East County. The chain succumbed to the arrival of Oshman's and Big Five, the family operation went from being a general sporting goods retailer to a team outfitter) I seem to recall that the box with the photos on it was in use by 1981.

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jul 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	D5708BCF-0B0A-435B-AB66-50B97335A218.jpeg
Views:	674
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	120168 I have two4200 everlast speedbags both bought in the 80’s.1 with Olympic logo and 1 regular.I am waiting for title to send me some bladders to replace them.I love the shape of these bags.Would have loved to come across the deal Zaz found two brand new bags.Would like to hit them more but I am afraid I will not find another.Come on Everlast bring these back!!!

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jul 2019

Name:	CAE24E64-44CC-4E84-B3B9-5AAF878070A2.png
Views:	604
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	120476 Well I got a little lucky lastnight. While I was browsing through eBay l came across a pretty new looking everlast 4200. I almost shyte myself.I really wanted a new looking one like others on here because it was one of the first bags I bought in the 80’s and I love the shape and how it hits.The bladder will need to be replaced.

Comment

• BagBoy
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post

Name:	CAE24E64-44CC-4E84-B3B9-5AAF878070A2.png
Views:	604
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	120476 Well I got a little lucky lastnight. While I was browsing through eBay l came across a pretty new looking everlast 4200. I almost shyte myself.I really wanted a new looking one like others on here because it was one of the first bags I bought in the 80’s and I love the shape and how it hits.The bladder will need to be replaced.
                    Mickey you lucky daawwwg.
                    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jul 2019

I have to curb my enthusiasm for my 4200 everlast bag as I have been informed by a very knowledgeable friend that this particular bag is made in China.Now I will really beat the shyte out of this bag.I am glad I was informed before I beat up my old ones thinking I have a new one to hold on to. Thanks
                      Last edited by Mickey Dix; 04-04-2020, 02:11 PM. Reason: To humor Bag Boy!!!

Comment

• Pete
                        • Nov 2020

Here are some of my prize possessions, The 4204 and the 4203. As you can see the 4203 is massive but is very fast and light. My dtrum is32 " x 40" and it barely fits.

Name:	03 04.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	126589
                        This is the 4204 and a oddball 4200 that is smaller than the average 4200. Right in between a 4204 and the 4200's I've come across. It also has dark brown leather and silver lettering

Name:	42$.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	126592
                        For comparison -4200, 4204,"4200

Name:	4200 4204.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	126591
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Ingrid
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Sep 2021

The bag will last longer than a year. You’ll probably upgrade your gloves.

I got a similar combo (bag, gloves, wraps-no stand) last year, and I love it. Just thinking about better gloves now.
                          article

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I was looking back through some of my speed bag pictures and ran across the photo's from the speed bag contest on the USS Tortuga LSD46, from back in 2006. They had a classic 4200 that caught me eye and brought back memories of my old Memphis State Days in the 1970's. When you got a good one, you could not kill it. We beat them literally to death, full ripped seams and all, and still, they held air. These picks brought that all back....
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Pete
                              • Nov 2020

I put my spare Jim Bradley bladder in a 4200 and I'd say that it is my favorite. The bag is super fast with all the bladders I've tried (title advanced, enkay, original red) but the Bradley has a great bounce and is a little heavier. That's awesome you dodged the plastic seems Ventanakaz. My guess would be that they still used the leather seems in the early stages of Chinese production.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...