• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
    It is really a shame there is such a potential unknown underground of baggers out there. Maybe people get really into it for a few months then give it up? I can understand why the forum is not as popular as it used to be 5 to 10 years ago. An online forum is a bit passe these days. I see a little interest on Instagram, some say they know of the forum, say they will check it out, but then never show up here. The skunk was posting vids on IG in high gear there for a while right after SBX, and the hashtags where popping for a while. But that all seemed to fizzle pretty quickly. Similar with B.D. But nothing yet approached a "critical mass" that could bring the underground together.
    That's True, but I think it's been that way for a long time. People's interest in "forum" stuff probably fluctuates like their interest (or time) for the speed bag. I've been a member since Feb 2006, and from that time "we" (forum) has seen a lot of "really active" members, most for a sort period of time (1-2 years) and then they disappear. Some posted every night on lots of topics - and then disappear. Perhaps they got out of bagging (For a while) or just lost interest or were learning something else and jumped into another forum on their next interest / obsession. For the younger crowd more used to tons of variety with short attention spans, they chose the quick hits places like snapchat, Instagram, twitter, whatever, but those are 10-20 sec blurbs and short "comments", not discussion.Through the years my own interest may wax and wane. There were weeks when I couldn't wait to spend the evening on SBF, and often spent 2-3 hours formulating a "teaching answer", complete with freeze frame pictures from videos and BMP created pictures of text explanation of how to write a certain combination. Span my posts and you find I tend to write "a lot" or "long posts", but it's hard to actually teach the complexities of speed bagging, and it's many variations with two or three sentences. Then there have been times when I might "check in" once a week or so, during my own pursuit of some other online interest, or life issue that doesn't allow my evenings to sit and talk speed bag. It also depends on the activity and quality of the current active members. As of now, maybe two or three of the regular "gathering" attendees are active, but most are long gone from regular posting. They may post a few comments before or after the gathering...then poof-gone. People that have been around a while have usually worked through the ever present "favorite bag" or swivel or whatever issue that shows up three of four times a year. I try to maintain interest through that because bags are constantly changing. Those available in 2019 are not the same as those in 2010, 2006 etc. the speed bag variations over the years in shape, quality, materials etc. is constantly changing and I Personally don't keep up with all of that anymore. The other reason is many of those types of posts are from NEW members who might be a new bagger and this is all new and exciting and they will be active for,,,let's give it a year. maybe more. I can say the overall speed bag skill level of "active members" is much higher than in in the past. I think that is because they may have seen, and mimic, youtube video's of impressive baggers and by they time they join, they got some skills. Many of the latest member video's have very impressive baggin skill, beyond the "how do I link" level. I've had various moments in my life when the awe and excitement of "speed bagging" roared back and I was re-energized. They fire me up to stay more active and go to my bag to "try and figure that one out." I find the gathering has that effect for every year someone throws down some outrageous combinations none of us has seen. AND some of that is by people who are NOT forum members. Or if they are, they don't post. WE do have a lot of "silent readers" who do not post. Perhaps they don't like to write or don't write well enough in their own mind to engage. Not everyone likes to write or can express themselves that way. I guess there is a certain crowd that would be more satisfied to do all things by hashtag posts on twitter. Short and quick. to me that would be boring. But our current "active" forum members are really awesome with fresh perspectives and interesting topics to rant about, this being one!
    Last edited by Speedbag; 11-20-2019, 10:56 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Another great post, AK. Lets thank BagBoy and Cazbag for leading the new bagger talent on the forum. Leading by example with impressive vids and great posts. LouisvilleBagr is sort of their forum protege and has developed amazing technique in record time. The forum still works, at least for a visible few and hopefully many more invisibles.

Speaking of the invisibles, I know of one (you know who you are ) and writing well is definitely NOT the reason. Very eloquent fellow.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Cazbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2018

I've often wondered if and when this generation's forum members might fade away, including myself. Then I remind myself that pondering that takes away from enjoying the present.

Comment

• Cazbag
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2018

This hobby, obsession, and love helped me in many ways and levels. I use the guidelines and fundamentals of how I learned Bible Baggin as an outline for teaching all sorts of things other than just bagging, at work and at home. I've quoted Alan and many others on a wide variety of actions that first control must be achieved before speed can happen. Good example is teaching the little girl how to ride a bike! Awesome vibes have been absorbed and shared as a result

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
            Another great post, AK. Lets thank BagBoy and Cazbag for leading the new bagger talent on the forum. Leading by example with impressive vids and great posts. LouisvilleBagr is sort of their forum protege and has developed amazing technique in record time. The forum still works, at least for a visible few and hopefully many more invisibles.

Speaking of the invisibles, I know of one (you know who you are ) and writing well is definitely NOT the reason. Very eloquent fellow.
            That's very true. Awesome bag skills, cool videos and lively post content. The deeper a post and thoughts go. The more we see the "Person" behind "the bagger", for we are all so much more than just a speed bagger. You dont get to see that "person" much from a few two or three sentence post about a combo. I'm glad the Speed Bag has brought us together for whatever the moment in time is, but hey, it led YOU to use your skills to design and fabricate an amazing Ball Hook Swivel, and other forum members to do same with other parts of speed bag equip. Sadly some of them have moved on. Making room for the newer crowd. I miss them but I'm loving this new group...
            Last edited by Speedbag; 11-25-2019, 09:29 PM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2018

That’s a Great analogy.

Comment

• BagBoy
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by dad View Post
                That’s a Great analogy.
                Every post on this page is GOLD! I think this thread may have some wheels

Rusty, you had me blushing up there.

Caz,

"I've often wondered if and when this generation's forum members might fade away, including myself."
                I just don't see that happening. Yeah we're perhaps a little late to the party in some ways but it's a great time to be a bagger. The swivels alone! My god man! Throw in the new bags we're finding around the world along with the ones we already have and it's game-set-match. There is no fading away. Only death! Too much?

The skills I learnt, observed and brought back home from SBX have been remarkable. I went from my comfort zone (my house) to Thursday evening in the Real Gym with Alan on one side and G-Town on the other both giving me pointers at the platform. I wasn't able to implement any of what they told me while in Keyport but it did NOT fall on deaf ears and the world has opened up. Can't stop!
                Last edited by BagBoy; 11-21-2019, 02:09 PM.
                Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jul 2019

Yes every post in this thread is gold , Thanks Bag Boy.I started hitting the bag like many others when Rocky came out . The original Rocky. For years I hit the bag boxing style, like many others.I am also late to the speedbag bible style of baggin.About a month before SBX I started hitting from behind the bag.I remember reading there was going to be a speedbag gathering at Real Gymm. I had to go not knowing what to expect. Wow I was blown away. Listening and watching everything I could. I was lucky enough to meet and chat with all the knowledgeable baggers.. I thought to myself this is Great!!!! I walked in there Saturday around 12 left around 5:30.came back on Sunday and was there all day. Told wifey I would go on Saturday for an hour and I’ll b right back. LOL I was wrong. Left Sunday when the gathering was over with 2 new arcswivel’s thanks Rusty,art of the bag poster thanks Zaz signed by everyone there.WHAT A DAY . When I got home i took down old u-bolt put up arcswivel ordered Speedbag Bible thanks Alan,like everyone told me .Last but not least to join this forum. Then I was hooked on baggin one again.That is what I think about a lot while I am under the board!!!! Thanks to all baggers on this great forum. I WILL NEVER STOP BAGGIN,

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post

Yeah, my "facts" were just something off the top of my head to kick off the thread but I do wish I knew some kind of statistics on this matter. In my town of about 1,00,000 people I know three guys who bag. Their not nuts about it they just hit the bag boxing style before a workout. perhaps out of the 100,000 there are 20 - 30 more? I just don't know. I have tried several ways to find out though by placing ads trying to organize something but thus far only one reply from a school teacher.

I would love to start a course at our local collage this summer. I love showing my drummer and bass player things but they have no intentions of getting a bag and board. Deadbeats! They only like it when they're over at my place watching the fights.
                    ...And that is why I persevered to write and FINISH the Speed Bag Bible. I had hit enough in public place during 1980's to find that whatever board I got under at least two or three people would show up, and "be amazed". Their faces looked just like mine the first time I saw Doc Schroeder, live, hitting the bag. It's hard to hide "mesmerized". At that time there was no way to actually teach people other then "in person" which would be a very very few, and I came to believe that "bagaholics", people that really want to do this....were out there. I was convinced that there were "many" spread out across the world,- and I noticed there was NO legitimate program or method to teach this. I didn't see anyone else hitting like I did at that time (although I knew of about 10 or so because they were in the same class with me and Dr. Schroeder..) but it seemed like a training niche that I could fill. All I really had was the book "boxing skills" that Doc wrote with his chapter on speed bag rhythms, but I already knew his system of writing it was flawed, because I loaned it out to a bunch of people and they said it didn't help. The actually hitting of the bag was way more complicated and his "Rhythms" included what i later defined as "combinations", often including may parts (fists and elbows) that were kind of taught as "one motion" when in fact there are smaller and simplier movements that should be learned individually before putting them all together in a longer combination - that he called a "rhythm" due to the sound it makes. I found it much more efficient from a teaching method to break that all down to smaller parts, which I later identified as "techniques" - that had to be named and explained. At the beginning I wrote and watched endless video of myself hitting from different angles to identify the specific moves that later became 24 techniques.. BUT I quit off and on, sometimes for many months, thinking this was all a singular obsession going nowhere. But I always came back to it...because I never lost the belief that there were people, many or few I didn't know, but they were out there that really would love to have more in depth speed bag training. So I eventually finished the book, and it was published in 1995. With no internet or marketing system to speak of, the first 1,500 copies took over 4 years before I needed to reprint. And then I found that for every 200 that bought it, may one or two would actually read and learn it. yeah, people still want short and easy, and my book is not. The video's came out in Sept 1996, as a request by Ringside Boxing. But this speaks to YOUR point. There seem to be very few "serious baggers" compared to the general population, however I have witnessed that number grow with the growth of this community talking to their friend, tons of amazing youtube video's and generally speed bag being seen more and more in the public. At one time there were four commercials on TV regularly that had a speed bag in them. Granted, not good bagging, but still being seen. I believe the "surge" will come when two things happen. (1) It is featured in a major motion picture by someone of amazing skill for a couple of minutes.(2) regular fitness and health clubs begin including them, noise be damned. People have to have access to really know it, and if they have to buy their own and hang it....that will eliminate most. IF people have access to a speed bag, and hopefully with someone that is proficient and a decent teacher...then the tide may turn. To that regard I say "WE": (forum members) are our own best ally. Get out there and show it, talk it, do it. Become your local area expert. You are all much better than you think.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BagBoy
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

...And that is why I persevered to write and FINISH the Speed Bag Bible. I had hit enough in public place during 1980's to find that whatever board I got under at least two or three people would show up, and "be amazed". Their faces looked just like mine the first time I saw Doc Schroeder, live, hitting the bag. It's hard to hide "mesmerized". At that time there was no way to actually teach people other then "in person" which would be a very very few, and I came to believe that "bagaholics", people that really want to do this....were out there. I was convinced that there were "many" spread out across the world,- and I noticed there was NO legitimate program or method to teach this. I didn't see anyone else hitting like I did at that time (although I knew of about 10 or so because they were in the same class with me and Dr. Schroeder..) but it seemed like a training niche that I could fill. All I really had was the book "boxing skills" that Doc wrote with his chapter on speed bag rhythms, but I already knew his system of writing it was flawed, because I loaned it out to a bunch of people and they said it didn't help. The actually hitting of the bag was way more complicated and his "Rhythms" included what i later defined as "combinations", often including may parts (fists and elbows) that were kind of taught as "one motion" when in fact there are smaller and simplier movements that should be learned individually before putting them all together in a longer combination - that he called a "rhythm" due to the sound it makes. I found it much more efficient from a teaching method to break that all down to smaller parts, which I later identified as "techniques" - that had to be named and explained. At the beginning I wrote and watched endless video of myself hitting from different angles to identify the specific moves that later became 24 techniques.. BUT I quit off and on, sometimes for many months, thinking this was all a singular obsession going nowhere. But I always came back to it...because I never lost the belief that there were people, many or few I didn't know, but they were out there that really would love to have more in depth speed bag training. So I eventually finished the book, and it was published in 1995. With no internet or marketing system to speak of, the first 1,500 copies took over 4 years before I needed to reprint. And then I found that for every 200 that bought it, may one or two would actually read and learn it. yeah, people still want short and easy, and my book is not. The video's came out in Sept 1996, as a request by Ringside Boxing. But this speaks to YOUR point. There seem to be very few "serious baggers" compared to the general population, however I have witnessed that number grow with the growth of this community talking to their friend, tons of amazing youtube video's and generally speed bag being seen more and more in the public. At one time there were four commercials on TV regularly that had a speed bag in them. Granted, not good bagging, but still being seen. I believe the "surge" will come when two things happen. (1) It is featured in a major motion picture by someone of amazing skill for a couple of minutes.(2) regular fitness and health clubs begin including them, noise be damned. People have to have access to really know it, and if they have to buy their own and hang it....that will eliminate most. IF people have access to a speed bag, and hopefully with someone that is proficient and a decent teacher...then the tide may turn. To that regard I say "WE": (forum members) are our own best ally. Get out there and show it, talk it, do it. Become your local area expert. You are all much better than you think.
                      Now THAT was a good read! Courses at the local college start in June. I'll be looking into it sooner than later as I will have to figure out a platform situation. I'll likely buy a few of the platforms we see at the gatherings and construct (to the best of my knowledge) something very similar to what Tim built. The famous free standing unit. I'll BUY a number of copies of the Speed Bag Bible if it looks like I can get this thing off the ground. The main thing is generating local interest.. I have a few avenues on that front.

And hey, if nobody shows.. I'll still have all the platforms and mounting unit for when I convert my entire mancave/basement into a bagging haven! Everybody wins!

EDIT: I'm going to local gyms to simply test the waters on putting up a platform or two. What I want to do doesn't have to be in the form of a course at a local indoctrination center. A gym is a perfect place for it. My gym is a home gym so that's out lol.

I gots me a fire under me arse! I'll post on any progress I make..
                      Last edited by BagBoy; 11-22-2019, 03:05 AM.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post

Now THAT was a good read! Courses at the local college start in June. I'll be looking into it sooner than later as I will have to figure out a platform situation. I'll likely buy a few of the platforms we see at the gatherings and construct (to the best of my knowledge) something very similar to what Tim built. The famous free standing unit. I'll BUY a number of copies of the Speed Bag Bible if it looks like I can get this thing off the ground. The main thing is generating local interest.. I have a few avenues on that front.

And hey, if nobody shows.. I'll still have all the platforms and mounting unit for when I convert my entire mancave/basement into a bagging haven! Everybody wins!

EDIT: I'm going to local gyms to simply test the waters on putting up a platform or two. What I want to do doesn't have to be in the form of a course at a local indoctrination center. A gym is a perfect place for it. My gym is a home gym so that's out lol.

I gots me a fire under me arse! I'll post on any progress I make..
                        Can I take your course online and will you be grading on a curve?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          ...I believe the "surge" will come when two things happen. (1) It is featured in a major motion picture by someone of amazing skill for a couple of minutes.(2) regular fitness and health clubs begin including them, noise be damned...
                          (1) that would be very cool. Never happened in 8 Rocky/Creed movies, or any of the countless other fighting type movies with training scenes. Hell, Creed II had no speed bag scene. You have to watch closely to even see a speed bag platform off to the side in the back of the gym.
                          (2) RSB seems to be leading that charge. Wouldn't it be ironically awesome if Parkinson's therapy leads to a resurgence of the classic boxing tool that boxing has forsaken? The heavy bag is HUGE in fitness gyms across the country now. Why didn't I invent an Arc Heavy Bag? I'd be driving Rocky's Lambo now if I had. You can't go to a fitness gym without seeing a heavy bag.

A few years ago I went to the only boxing gym anywhere near where I live and work. It was an old school type boxing gym with a ring and with a former boxer as the owner/trainer. He had a couple of sad, sorry, broken down speed bag platforms on the wall. I explained I mainly was interested in speed bag. He was very condescending about my interest, said the speed bag was useless and he just had the platforms there for the young kids to play with. I left and never went back.

@ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2018

Tried baggin while smoking a cigar. It's fine for boxing style but on the first downward elbow strike things went south. Go figure

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jun 2019

Ok, these 10-12 hour work days are really putting a cramp on my practice time. While I do have that 6 way I’ve been practicing pretty much up to my warp speed, it’s just not enough. I’m considering defecting to one of those Scandinavian countries. I’m trying to figure out which one subsidized citizens who just want to hit a bag against a piece of wood all day.

Comment

• BagBoy
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
                                Ok, these 10-12 hour work days are really putting a cramp on my practice time. While I do have that 6 way I’ve been practicing pretty much up to my warp speed, it’s just not enough. I’m considering defecting to one of those Scandinavian countries. I’m trying to figure out which one subsidized citizens who just want to hit a bag against a piece of wood all day.
                                What is it you do, and is there any possibility you can set up a board in a lunch room?

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...