• Apr 2011

That's just silly...
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Never saw this before. Seller is in France, the bag is made like a lot of the European bags I've seen with metal shackle in place of a leather loop. Is it worth $500? Not to me, especially not knowing the provenance.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          Never saw this before. Seller is in France, the bag is made like a lot of the European bags I've seen with metal shackle in place of a leather loop. Is it worth $500? Not to me, especially not knowing the provenance.
          It does make one wonder what other historical oddities exist out here in the speed bag underworld.

now, had Alan Shepard chose to hit a speed bag on the moon rather than make a golf shot, it would indeed be worth the price.

Alan Bartlett Shepard, Jr. (November 18, 1923 -- July 21, 1998) was an American naval aviator, test pilot, flag officer, NASA astronaut, and businessman, who...

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

I have a slightly used bridge in NYC I'd be willing to sell...
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Bag Man
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              The seller is making the cosmonaut connection. Not sure why. The graphic on the bag is not the same as the Apollo 11 Mission Patch. Obviously that's not dispositive, but I guess I would expect that the graphic would be consistent with the patch.

I agree with Dutchman. Personally, it's not worth that kind of money to me. That being said, if it could be some way tied to the space program, for example used in physical training, it might be worth the price, particularly to someone who collects space memorabilia. I would be very wary of any claim it accompanied the astronauts on the mission. The physics of hitting a bag in space aside, weight restrictions, particularly on the earlier flights, would seem to preclude something as nonessential as a speed bag. (Although I guess the same could be said of a golf club and golf ball.)

Bag Man
              "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
                The seller is making the cosmonaut connection. Not sure why. The graphic on the bag is not the same as the Apollo 11 Mission Patch. Obviously that's not dispositive, but I guess I would expect that the graphic would be consistent with the patch.

I agree with Dutchman. Personally, it's not worth that kind of money to me. That being said, if it could be some way tied to the space program, for example used in physical training, it might be worth the price, particularly to someone who collects space memorabilia. I would be very wary of any claim it accompanied the astronauts on the mission. The physics of hitting a bag in space aside, weight restrictions, particularly on the earlier flights, would seem to preclude something as nonessential as a speed bag. (Although I guess the same could be said of a golf club and golf ball.)

Bag Man

If that bags leather was made from the cow that jumped over the moon, now THAT would be something.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...