• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Nichols Patent swivel(?)

This looks like a Nichols base that someone put a modern ball and hook assembly in (although I could be mistaken). It's possible that it could be a transition piece, but I don't recall seeing one like this before.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-C-1900-N...item3a5d232b63

This looks like a Nichols base that someone put a modern ball and hook assembly in (although I could be mistaken). It's possible that it could be a transition piece, but I don't recall seeing one like this before.
    Wow! That is unique and cool looking.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-C-1900-N...item3a5d232b63

Here is the Nichols that I have and it had a rope attachment (not included when I bought this).
      Attached Files
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Gorgeous swivel. Glad you rescued it.

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

309 Nichol's

I have a 309 with box but without rope. Does anyone know the $ value of these antiques swivs?
          Attached Files
          The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

It's hard to say. There are a few dealers that handle boxing items, and the prices they list are often coronary inducing, usually because they only offer really cherry items. Finding items that haven't been beaten to death is highly unusual, but they do crop up once and a while. The moderatly used stuff is more frequently found. As far as what it's worth, it's about how much someone is willing to pay for it I'm afraid. We are beginning to see a lot of stuff being unearthed from basements, attics and garages lately. Some nice rebound rings with swivels in good shape. Bags are a different story as lot of these haven't aged well due to the conditions the were kept in. Paper items relating to striking bags are also coming to the surface.

As far as the rope with Nichols swivels, I don't believe that it originally came with that. That was with the bag. The rope was attacthed to a cone about six or so inches long via a hole drilled on the long axis and knotted at the bottom. That was inserted into the bag at the top and secured by the laces. The the rope was fed up through the ball in the swivel and knotted at the desired length.
            Last edited by Dutchman; 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...