• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

This is one I really want to get!

I gave up on this a long time ago and have decided to start working on it again. I have improved a lot since I last tried to get this. Sometimes you try to run before you can even walk well. This is one of the best teaching video's I've seen to do it. It looks awesome when done continuously. Back to the board and hours of trying. Like all of these combo's, they look easy when done by someone who has it down, but then when you try it's not so easy. This is a complex move that requires a lot different movements at exactly the right time. This has been posted before but here it is again.

fedora

Last edited by fedora; 07-08-2014, 10:12 AM.
  • Mainbeam
    • Apr 2014

Great video! Thanks

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
      I gave up on this a long time ago and have decided to start working on it again. I have improved a lot since I last tried to get this. Sometimes you try to run before you can even walk well. This is one of the best teaching video's I've seen to do it. It looks awesome when done continuously. Back to the board and hours of trying. Like all of these combo's, they look easy when done by someone who has it down, but then when you try it's not so easy. This is a complex move that requires a lot different movements at exactly the right time. This has been posted before but here it is again.

fedora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkOGIXG8Gk
      IF you understand the format of writing speed bag combinations down this will be a lot easier to figure out. Once it is in writing it is a lot easier to remember and work on with or without the bag.

So the first thing to realize when watching this is there are two basic concepts at play (1) the shadow punch, which is a Front Straight Punch done under (or in the shadow of..) the other arm. It can be under an elbow or sometimes looks more under the forearm. In this video it is often done under the forearm.

(2), Second, these combinations actually highlights the Outward Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES), and shows that there are two ways to do this. The "main way" is the stand Elbow-Fist-Fist method (written e-f / f). This is the way I learned it and unfortunately never considered the variation shown in this video, which is the second, or alternate method of this technique, in a Fist-Elbow-Fist (written f / e-f ). This fist and elbow order appears in the Downward-Triple Elbow Strike, (D-TES) but the shadow FSP allows us to create the alternate method of a f / e-f outward elbow.

So, the Outward Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES) can be:

L-L /R
      O-TES
      e-f /f

or

L-L /R
      O-TES...... lead fist is a shadow FSP
      f / e-f

Basically this video show that, starting from either a Reverse Single Punch (RSP) or Outward Elbow, or from the shadow FSP. Watch closely and you will see that is basically all he is doing, alternating the O-TES from one method to the other. For all the various stops and starts, in different places in the combination, that is what he is doing. check out :12 -:18, or 4:42 - 4:48.

Below are several ways to write this. I favor the version 1, separating the FSP as it's own shadow FSP technique, but version 2 is just as correct.

Attached Files
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

Thanks a lot for the break down Alan. That helps a lot. I just could not pull this together when I first saw it done and then I gave up on it and forgot about it until I saw the video again and decided to start on it again. I actually made a little progress on it today. I think by the end of the week I'll be able to put it together.

I really appreciate your break down of the moves.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks a lot for the break down Alan. That helps a lot. I just could not pull this together when I first saw it done and then I gave up on it and forgot about it until I saw the video again and decided to start on it again. I actually made a little progress on it today. I think by the end of the week I'll be able to put it together.

I really appreciate your break down of the moves.

fedora
          For me personally, I have found it much easier to write down every "weird or new" combo I see. The simple (or complex at this level) act of writing it down makes it less a mystery and lets me identify the transitions between techniques. It also helps me decide where I will start and stop for practice purposes. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of doing that, if only for YOU to write down some new and innovative combination you create, by accident or design.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • May 2014

Here is my interpretation. Slowed it down a little so you can better tell what is going on. There is a lot going on in there. For me it helped to really go through the movements slowly with just enough force to get the bag to rebound. It almost feels like an o-i-4way in the way I shift my weight from side to side.

Comment

• florian 380
              • Nov 2012

nice bag control and flow !!!!!!!!! looks very clean

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

Nice job HB. I finally got where I can make it through the rotation side to side about a half dozen times before I trip up. Like you said there is a lot going on with it. But I love the way this combo flows from side to side. All the hits come really close together with that shadow punch in there.

fedora

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • May 2014

Nice job HB. I finally got where I can make it through the rotation side to side about a half dozen times before I trip up. Like you said there is a lot going on with it. But I love the way this combo flows from side to side. All the hits come really close together with that shadow punch in there.

fedora
                  Yes, the slightest hesitation and the combo is lost. I am still in the baby stages of working on some of the variations and transitions. This is a very rewarding combo to pull off.

Comment

• fedora
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2012

You are progressing really fast. When I tried this last year I couldn't do it to save my soul. Great job!

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hoosierbagger View Post
                      Here is my interpretation. Slowed it down a little so you can better tell what is going on. There is a lot going on in there. For me it helped to really go through the movements slowly with just enough force to get the bag to rebound. It almost feels like an o-i-4way in the way I shift my weight from side to side.

this also looks like a "skunk original" which was Continuous Front Fist Rolling with Outward Elbow strikes thrown in. A fairly unnatural combation due to body position but he pulled it off.

Great Control on this combo!
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2012

Again persistence pays off. After working on this everyday for several weeks I finally feel like I can say I have it down where I can do it at will not by accident. It's a cool move that goes very fast and it takes a while to get it down without getting tangled up.

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Again persistence pays off. After working on this everyday for several weeks I finally feel like I can say I have it down where I can do it at will not by accident. It's a cool move that goes very fast and it takes a while to get it down without getting tangled up.

fedora
                          Congrats!
                          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• ebozyn
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2010

That looks a lot like my basement.

Comment

• speedbag4life
                              • Jun 2007

That's really nice. Thanks Alan for the breakdown, and thanks HB for the slo-mo. You've got great control.

Originally posted by Hoosierbagger View Post

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...