X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marlon
    • Apr 2013

My Set up

Lets see if this works.....Here is a photo of my i-box platform. There was some serious vibration (despite being hung on a cinderblock wall) at the front edge of the board, so while I was busy thinking up impossible solutions, my dad took a power saw to a 2 x 4 and cut a piece that we wedged between the top of the platform board and the ceiling beam/joist.

There is now ZERO vibration despite the fact that this 2 x 4 is not attached by anything but pressure.

It works great, but it looked like hell, so I took an old Ringside handwrap and wrapped it around the 2 x 4 to pretty it up a little.

Ta Da !!!
    Attached Files
  • Marlon
    • Apr 2013

Here's another pic of the platform....I tried to get em both on one post but I'm new at this.....Here goes
    Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
      Here's another pic of the platform....I tried to get em both on one post but I'm new at this.....Here goes
      That's going to punch VERY solid.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Lets see if this works.....Here is a photo of my i-box platform. There was some serious vibration (despite being hung on a cinderblock wall) at the front edge of the board, so while I was busy thinking up impossible solutions, my dad took a power saw to a 2 x 4 and cut a piece that we wedged between the top of the platform board and the ceiling beam/joist.

There is now ZERO vibration despite the fact that this 2 x 4 is not attached by anything but pressure.

It works great, but it looked like hell, so I took an old Ringside handwrap and wrapped it around the 2 x 4 to pretty it up a little.

Ta Da !!!
        Had to do the same to mine, although I fastened the hickory brace with screws. Hope the next version of the iBoxâ„¢ has all that good looking heavy metal placed around the perimeter of the drum, not the central location of the current flying V design.

V is for vibration! Thimk!

Comment

• Marlon
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          Had to do the same to mine, although I fastened the hickory brace with screws. Hope the next version of the iBox™ has all that good looking heavy metal placed around the perimeter of the drum, not the central location of the current flying V design.

V is for vibration! Thimk!
          Lol...exactly!

I think the problem could be solved by using a "Y" or an "X" instead of a "V". It would make the platform weigh more/cost more, but I think it would go a long way to cancel vibration. The "V" arms have little rubber contact pads that brace the rear of the platform, but the front 8 - 10 inches of the board is not supported. A third arm coming to the front with another rubber contact pad would help a lot.

The hardwood board they offer might fix this too, but the whole i-box cost me $229, and the cost to upgrade platforms is $230. 2 x 4's are significantly cheaper and there is no vibration at all.

That one modification makes the stock i-box perfect (at least until I'm ready to upgrade the swivel).

@ Alan - The set up punches so solid now it's ridiculous. I got to thinking about it after watching the Bible DVD where you talked about just "not having it today" and warning about how a loose swivel cancels out your power by deadening the rebounds. The swivel was tight, and the bag was at 5 psi but I couldn't keep it going for long stretches.

Granted I'm no lightweight, and I have been told the 7 x 10 Lazer is on the heavy side but when I looked up while bagging I saw the front edge travel about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch in each direction.

If I got 3 - 4 rebounds out of one punch before the brace, I now get 7 - 8 rebounds out of the same punch.

I can now do my "Balboa Monkey-Punching" at full strength (until I miss-hit of course) and it doesn't budge. My i-box is now perfect.

It's adjustable, rock-solid and it only set me back $229 + the cost of a bag (or two. I just bought a Heritage that I have to oil up before I can hit)
          Last edited by Marlon; 05-10-2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

I bet there's a bit of vibration upstairs though.

That looks solid as a rock, but if you have to adjust the height, do you have different size 2x4's precut and wrapped?
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Marlon
              • Apr 2013

No worries about the vibrations upstairs - One of the (Many) benefits of being newly single I sometimes blast the music and hit as hard as possible just because I can!

I don't have the pieces cut YET, but I recently purchased a Heritage 9 x 6, so I plan on cutting another pice of 2 x 4 (one inch shorter) this weekend and I plan on cutting a new piece for each bag I aquire in the future.

I'm working on an adjustable brace, with either a cork-screw/threaded post or a sliding triangle mechanism but the 2 x 4 works so well I might be out-thinking/out-smarting myself by trying to improve on it. It helps that my old man is a former Engineer with a ridiculous tool collection and excess free time.

Lucky for me, hand wraps come in sets of 2, so I'm good to go (for now). The Ringside wraps were allegedly Mexican, but there is zero stretch/give in them so they are better suited for covering up an unsightly 2 x 4 than my hands.

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

No worries about the vibrations upstairs - One of the (Many) benefits of being newly single I sometimes blast the music and hit as hard as possible just because I can!
                I hear ya'! My original platform is built with 2x6's down off the floor joists...shakes the whole house....opens cabinet doors....knocks dishes off the counters upstairs.
                As you can tell, I'm also a bachelor by choice!

I don't have the pieces cut YET, but I recently purchased a Heritage 9 x 6, so I plan on cutting another pice of 2 x 4 (one inch shorter) this weekend and I plan on cutting a new piece for each bag I aquire in the future.

I'm working on an adjustable brace, with either a cork-screw/threaded post or a sliding triangle mechanism but the 2 x 4 works so well I might be out-thinking/out-smarting myself by trying to improve on it. It helps that my old man is a former Engineer with a ridiculous tool collection and excess free time.

Lucky for me, hand wraps come in sets of 2, so I'm good to go (for now). The Ringside wraps were allegedly Mexican, but there is zero stretch/give in them so they are better suited for covering up an unsightly 2 x 4 than my hands.
                You know.... I seem to remember there used to be adjustable chin-up bars that fit between a doorway....they were like a rod inside a rod and screw tightened...I'll have to look around. That would be the perfect solution, one piece, fully adjustable.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Something like this:

Or this:
                  Let BedBathandBeyond.com help you discover designer brands & home goods at the lowest prices online. With free shipping on EVERYTHING*. See for yourself why shoppers love our selection & award-winning customer service.

$25.00 might be worth a try? If all else fails, you can start doing chin-ups!
                  Last edited by Zaza; 05-11-2013, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Marlon
                    • Apr 2013

Excellent idea! I remember these from when I was a kid. As I recall, they weren't worth a damn as a chin up bar, (I have seen people fall victim to them on Tosh.0) but for THIS purpose I think it would be perfect! It's sure worth $25 to find out.

Beats keeping a stack of 2 x 4 pieces on the floor near the platform, and while I didn't mind doing it the first time, covering the brace with 180' wraps every time I swap a bag will become a time consuming pain in the butt eventually.

This forum has been so helpful I can't even describe it. When Al Gore 'invented the internet' SpeedBagForum.com was what he had in mind.

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Excellent idea!

This forum has been so helpful I can't even describe it. When Al Gore 'invented the internet' SpeedBagForum.com was what he had in mind.

I agree...this is the best forum on the net! Thanks Mr. Gore.

Comment

• doss darwin
                        • Dec 2012

adjust

i set up a floor jack w/a platform to stand on for 3 different size grandsons--when i change bags i use different pieces of plywood to stand on--dd
                        the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• Marlon
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by doss darwin View Post
                          i set up a floor jack w/a platform to stand on for 3 different size grandsons--when i change bags i use different pieces of plywood to stand on--dd
                          Gotta post a photo of that floor jack set up. I'm having a hard time picturing it but I'd like to see it....No need for plywood, adjusting the height of my platform is pretty simple. My problem was the vibration & the 2x4 eliminated it. My board might as well be 4" thick because it does not budge.

I might try the chin up bar but I have a feeling that the simplest solution (a piece of wood) will be the best one.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...