X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jollygood49
    • Jan 2013

A little over a month under the board

Working on some new combinations. I feel like my progress has slowed quite a bit but I'm sure that's just how it goes as the difficulty of strikes and combos increase. As always, any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks

• florian 380
    • Nov 2012

Very good bagging for 4 weeks !!!! Nice elbows and shadow punch

Comment

• cmedinas88
      • Jan 2013

Very nice

Comment

• Jake
        • Mar 2011

Wow! That looks like some nice hitting for just over a month.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Overall looks pretty good. The Shadow punching four way is a nice combo, but as a beginner I would not speed too much time on that right now. You can do it fine, but your not doing much before or off of it, and might not for a while until you fix a few thing I notice. You are making some common errors often seen in beginners. Not a big deal but you really need to fix these early one of them will certainly cause you problems down the road, and that is (see picture below)

In the opening basic punching I see you slightly twirling your fist, actually rotating it a bit, to bring the back of the hand into the bag. That is an old school technique, after a Front Straight Punch people will snap their hand back to the back, drop the elbow and make contact with the back of the hand. If you look at these pictures (easier to see in the moving video...) it appears as if your would be looking directly into the palm of your hand if you opened your fist. This is great for back hand smacking of the bag, but a horrible hand and arm position to link through the bag. First, your elbow position would need to be adjusted higher, or you will extend your fist down under the bag, and your palm will be facing upwards. I don't know of any easy recovering punch to follow from that position. The single best fist position from anywhere around the bag is having the palm facing the floor. the last picture on the bottm right shows your palm more angled toward the floor. This allows for easy linking through bag, and helps keep the elbow up a bit higher. The lower your elbows, usually the the lower your fists sag, and you will always have to raise them up to punch. Always a speed killer.

Second, I put question marks on your other hand, sort of saying, "why is it down here..." Yes, many very good baggers drop their hands, but they have learned to reposition it up before it enters, not actually start the punch from that position. You are starting your punches from that low position and I would suggest you focus on keeping the non-punching fist up. The top picture on the right shows a non puching position I like a lot better.

Anyway, that would be my suggestions. I would suggest you concentrate on keeping that palm position down. hope this helps.
          Attached Files
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jollygood49
            • Jan 2013

Thanks everyone. Those opening punches are basically just my warm up moves. I sometimes like to start with those because instead of having pretty much all of the movement occurring at the elbow and below it gets my core twisting, and lets my shoulders, elbows, and wrists work a larger range of motion. I definitely still need to focus on keeping my hands up though and am looking forward to really getting these combos down so I can work on linking.

Comment

• PunchDrummer
              • Jan 2012

That was really good - especially in such a short amount of time!
              I procrastinated the inner-elbows because I found them so difficult, and you're doing 'em with a return from the back. Nice stuff!

[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Excellent...WAY beyond me at 4 weeks, I was still on a u-bolt swivel at that time!
                Keep up the good work.

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jollygood49 View Post
                  Thanks everyone. Those opening punches are basically just my warm up moves. I sometimes like to start with those because instead of having pretty much all of the movement occurring at the elbow and below it gets my core twisting, and lets my shoulders, elbows, and wrists work a larger range of motion. I definitely still need to focus on keeping my hands up though and am looking forward to really getting these combos down so I can work on linking.
                  You can also warm up the shoulders pretty well with easy outward single and double elbow strikes. Just remember all linking should be done with the fists basically facing the floor.

We normally see a lot of "older" folks who have hit the bag for many years rolling their hand over to hit the back, a style that was apparently in vogue back years ago. I've even seen a few youtube video's of people teaching that. And it's fine to do it that way until you try to pass that fist through the bag, and that's going to near impossible without rotating the palm down. For people trying to hit "bible style" I normally advise against using it only because it can be a hard habit to break down the road. I think they wrote a song about that.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jollygood49
                    • Jan 2013

Thanks Ralph, PD, and Zaza! Also, thanks Alan for the tips.

I'm pretty sure that I picked up the bad habit of the backhand from a video on youtube. When I first began bagging, I watched a ton of videos and that was one. Without knowing any better, I tossed it in as a warm up sequence. As of today I stopped using that punch to avoid any future problems due to it.

I have a couple stupid questions because I don't have the bible yet.. Is the 4 way elbow simply considered the combination of elbow fist, fist elbow? Just wondering because I assumed it was basically what I attempted with out the shadow punches in the video. Elbow fist, fist elbow, then doing it in reverse to the other side of the platform as one combo (4 elbow strikes total).

Stupid question number two.. the Inner elbow is the second arms action in the combination above (the fist followed by elbow) correct?
                    Last edited by Jollygood49; 02-18-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I have a couple stupid questions because I don't have the bible yet.. Is the 4 way elbow simply considered the combination of elbow fist, fist elbow? Just wondering because I assumed it was basically what I attempted without the shadow punches in the video. Elbow fist, fist elbow, then doing it in reverse to the other side of the platform as one combo (4 elbow strikes total).
                      Yes. there are two 4-way elbow strikes, the "Out-&-IN four way Elbow Strike" as you describle, written as (O-I 4way) contact is E-F-F-E
                      and the "Out-&-Down four way Elbow strike" which is written (O-D 4 way). contact is E-F-E-F

These are created by joining the Outward Double Elbow Strike with either the Inward Double or Downward Double after one rebound.

Stupid question number two.. the Inner elbow is the second arms action in the combination above (the fist followed by elbow) correct?
                      Yes. You can do a same are Inward Double Elbow Strike, and follow it with the same are Outward Double Elbow Strike on Three rebounds, meaning

R-(I-DES) ' ' ' R-(O-DES)

and you can also join them on one rebound, (a bit more advanced here...)

R-(I-DES) ' R-(O-DES)

From what I've seen on your video's you are doing the inward Doubles pretty well.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

You're scarin' me bro. That's 4 1/2 weeks? You'll be owning these skills in no time.!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Jollygood49
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                          You're scarin' me bro. That's 4 1/2 weeks? You'll be owning these skills in no time.!
                          Thanks a lot! I have been completely addicted since I began and the challenge of being able to do what all you guys do on the bag keeps me going.

Comment

• AugustChief
                            • Dec 2012

Impressive indeed, I've been focusing on mastering the basics with linking. The elbow strikes and shadow punch surprised me, considering your elapsed time.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...