• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Baggin & trappin & some attempts at reverse F-rolls

With all that has been happening (and believe me, A LOT!!!),I seriously began to think that Baggin' was gonna get put on the backburner almost permanently. But I took some time to screw around today. Maybe a 64 degree day in Chicago in January had something to do with it. Well, here it is, mis-hits and all. God am I rusty!!

Last edited by metaldad; 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM.
    sigpic
  • PunchDrummer
    • Jan 2012

It looks like your having fun - which makes it fun to watch.
    A little camera autofocus in the beginning, "a little more cowbell" at the end - funny!

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Oh yeah, MD is back in the house! Looking good, Patrick. Nice to see you back and posting. How have you been my friend?

Pretty good hitting for being away from the bag for awhile. Nice variety of combos, and I liked your reverse F-Roll. Don't be such a stranger.

Looks like you have a nice camera for videoing.

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Looks like you brushed the rust off in a hurry...remember, it just like riding a bike, you never forget!

...and can't we all use a little more cowbell? (Tommy T?)

Great to see you back at it, don't be a stranger.
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• speedbagbrad
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2013

Wow, that's incredible... I hope I can be like that one day

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Biff View Post
            Oh yeah, MD is back in the house! Looking good, Patrick. Nice to see you back and posting. How have you been my friend?

Pretty good hitting for being away from the bag for awhile. Nice variety of combos, and I liked your reverse F-Roll. Don't be such a stranger.

Looks like you have a nice camera for videoing.
            Hey Biff! I'll have to pm you or call and let you know what's been going on. It's been pretty wacky to say the least, but I'm still kickin n baggin!! I'll try to show up around here more often. The camera in my smartphone is pretty damn good eh? HTC Amaze. I want the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Bigger screen, better battery and it plays FLAC!!!

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
            Looks like you brushed the rust off in a hurry...remember, it just like riding a bike, you never forget!

...and can't we all use a little more cowbell? (Tommy T?)

Great to see you back at it, don't be a stranger.
            Not as much as I would have liked , but thank you! I was trying to channel Christopher Walken, but to no avail (can't wait to see 7 Psychopaths!) It is like riding a bike lol!

Originally posted by speedbagbrad View Post
            Wow, that's incredible... I hope I can be like that one day
            Thanks man!
            sigpic

Comment

• AtTheCross
              • Dec 2012

nice baggin'
              1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
              Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
              DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
              Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
              Retired Bags:
              Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                With all that has been happening (and believe me, A LOT!!!),I seriously began to think that Baggin' was gonna get put on the backburner almost permanently. But I took some time to screw around today. Maybe a 64 degree day in Chicago in January had something to do with it. Well, here it is, mis-hits and all. God am I rusty!!

Looking Good Patrick! Glad to see you back online and under the board.

5:17 that reverse roll (in front of the bag) is tricky.

Yes it is. That has been giving me fits for a couple of years. My bag brain will not accept that movement as "normal" in front of the bag, for the next punch in the "normal" fist roll comes from over the last fist and drops down out of the way of the bag rebound, not Under the last fist and moves upward into the rebound, making you have to pull it back immediately. So the movement of this "reverse-Front Fist Roll" is more of a narrow egg shape of the fists. This changes the arc of the fist movements slightly. I found this worked well also for the "upward Front Double Punch" which I first saw by MsDeville in one of her Punching video's. in two fists is a Front Double Punch are normally like a fist roll, with the second fist coming over the last. It really feels wierd (to me) to do it the other way, and my bag brain still resists that motion. I made you a little graphic picture below to show how I view the fist arc motion and the difference needed to make these work.

I also find myself trying to do some focused exercises to drill this into my head. I do some slow 5 punch Rolls. R-L-R-L-R and also L-R-L-R-L in the opposite direction (upward). I find at that point my brain says "wrong" then add a punch. I do this a lot in the upward direction, I even do it without the occasionally, imaging it in front of me.

Then, on the bag I try this 5-punch Roll combo slowly, starting with the reverse direction, and on the last punch change to the other direction.

Reverse- L-R-L-R-L (change) R-L-R-L-R (Change) L-R-L-R-L....

If I make that four times I'm lucky.

Finally, I do the Reverse direction Front Fist Roll from a Reverse Double Punch (RDP). I put my hands behind the bag, do a RDP, pass through and move them upward into the reverse direction F-Roll. You can lead with either fist (second is most formal to me..) on the roll, so I practice both. I try to do a 5-punch Roll, then pass the 4th and 5th fists back through the bag for the RDP setup. I do this last part to practice linking off this reverse direction movement, which I also think is a skill worth developing. It feels awkward to me doing it that way, so I purposely practice it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also see you are doing a nice Out-In Fourway Elbow Strike,(O-I 4 way) [1:18-1:19] then coming back with what looks to be a Reverse Single Punch (RSP). to do this your immediately drop the last Inward Elbow to get out of the way of the coming reverse punch of the other arm. This is an awkward combo due to the torso rotation to complete the inward elbow motion, but of course it is possible. Our buddy TommyT has modified this combo brilliantly by holding that last inward elbow in the "up" position, then comes back with either a Reverse Single or Side Single Punch that hits and shadows under the elbow. Kinda like a phantom punch under that elbow, but it comes from a different side of the bag than the elbow. Notice when we do a "phantom" or "shadow" punch it is usually a Front Straight Punch under the elbow and both the fist and elbow are moving on the same side of the bag, but in this instance the "shadow or phantom" part of the movement will come from different sides. TommyT is the first person I ever noticed doing it that way. I made a frame capture to try and show you this.

Hope it helps. Glad to see you back!
                Attached Files
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Looking Good Patrick! Glad to see you back online and under the board.

5:17 that reverse roll (in front of the bag) is tricky.

Yes it is. That has been giving me fits for a couple of years. My bag brain will not accept that movement as "normal" in front of the bag, for the next punch in the "normal" fist roll comes from over the last fist and drops down out of the way of the bag rebound, not Under the last fist and moves upward into the rebound, making you have to pull it back immediately. So the movement of this "reverse-Front Fist Roll" is more of a narrow egg shape of the fists. This changes the arc of the fist movements slightly. I found this worked well also for the "upward Front Double Punch" which I first saw by MsDeville in one of her Punching video's. in two fists is a Front Double Punch are normally like a fist roll, with the second fist coming over the last. It really feels wierd (to me) to do it the other way, and my bag brain still resists that motion. I made you a little graphic picture below to show how I view the fist arc motion and the difference needed to make these work.

I also find myself trying to do some focused exercises to drill this into my head. I do some slow 5 punch Rolls. R-L-R-L-R and also L-R-L-R-L in the opposite direction (upward). I find at that point my brain says "wrong" then add a punch. I do this a lot in the upward direction, I even do it without the occasionally, imaging it in front of me.

Then, on the bag I try this 5-punch Roll combo slowly, starting with the reverse direction, and on the last punch change to the other direction.

Reverse- L-R-L-R-L (change) R-L-R-L-R (Change) L-R-L-R-L....

If I make that four times I'm lucky.

Finally, I do the Reverse direction Front Fist Roll from a Reverse Double Punch (RDP). I put my hands behind the bag, do a RDP, pass through and move them upward into the reverse direction F-Roll. You can lead with either fist (second is most formal to me..) on the roll, so I practice both. I try to do a 5-punch Roll, then pass the 4th and 5th fists back through the bag for the RDP setup. I do this last part to practice linking off this reverse direction movement, which I also think is a skill worth developing. It feels awkward to me doing it that way, so I purposely practice it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also see you are doing a nice Out-In Fourway Elbow Strike,(O-I 4 way) [1:18-1:19] then coming back with what looks to be a Reverse Single Punch (RSP). to do this your immediately drop the last Inward Elbow to get out of the way of the coming reverse punch of the other arm. This is an awkward combo due to the torso rotation to complete the inward elbow motion, but of course it is possible. Our buddy TommyT has modified this combo brilliantly by holding that last inward elbow in the "up" position, then comes back with either a Reverse Single or Side Single Punch that hits and shadows under the elbow. Kinda like a phantom punch under that elbow, but it comes from a different side of the bag than the elbow. Notice when we do a "phantom" or "shadow" punch it is usually a Front Straight Punch under the elbow and both the fist and elbow are moving on the same side of the bag, but in this instance the "shadow or phantom" part of the movement will come from different sides. TommyT is the first person I ever noticed doing it that way. I made a frame capture to try and show you this.

Hope it helps. Glad to see you back!
                  Hey Alan, thanks for breaking it down. I'll keep practicing but no matter how you slice it, it's confusing as all hell. I'm like you: my "bag brain" says WRONG very loudly! It's all about readjustibg our thinking I guess lol. I'll try not to be a stranger.
                  sigpic

Comment

• ebozyn
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2010

Very Cool Video MD.

It's a perfect example of having fun and Working off the Rust. Which is exactly what i'm doing. This Video make me want to go downstairs and do some major baggin'... but it's 2:00 am. I believe if i went down to bag now, i would get yelled. haha

Thanks for the vid MD. It's great inspiration for the rest of us rusty baggers. It's easy to get rusty when it's 35 degrees below zero.

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                      Very Cool Video MD.

It's a perfect example of having fun and Working off the Rust. Which is exactly what i'm doing. This Video make me want to go downstairs and do some major baggin'... but it's 2:00 am. I believe if i went down to bag now, i would get yelled. haha

Thanks for the vid MD. It's great inspiration for the rest of us rusty baggers. It's easy to get rusty when it's 35 degrees below zero.
                      Ebozyn, you being rusty? You're about as rusty as a bucket of grease! (these are the jokes people, work with me). What can one do at 2 the bag beckons you? Oh a dilemma you face my friend. 35 below, 2 below...the key phrase here is BELOW ZERO! Hard to do anything when you hear BELOW ZERO which is what we're experiencing today. When I shot the vid it was almost 70 degrees outside( look at my standup mirror) now we've taken a complete 180!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Jake
                        • Mar 2011

Nice video Metaldad.
                        I learned a lot from your videos back when I was starting out about 2 years ago. I might learn something from this video too. I like the trap work.

Comment

• doss darwin
                          • Dec 2012

70 degrees

it got to 70 both yesterday and today over here--great flow on all your combinations--first time i have seen you on camera--pretty cool--notice you wear gloves--curious as there has been some discussion on the board--thanks dd
                          the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                            Nice video Metaldad.
                            I learned a lot from your videos back when I was starting out about 2 years ago. I might learn something from this video too. I like the trap work.
                            Thanks for watching Jake. I just got back into posting and checking the forum. You have any videos up? I'd love to see what you've been doing.

Originally posted by doss darwin View Post
                            it got to 70 both yesterday and today over here--great flow on all your combinations--first time i have seen you on camera--pretty cool--notice you wear gloves--curious as there has been some discussion on the board--thanks dd
                            Sure rub it in Mr. Hawaii, 70 degrees. Harumph!!I say! Just for that I shall....I shall.. I shall sit and pout jealously in your general direction (folding arms, frowny faced pouting). I wear the gloves cuz hitting a cold bag hurts. But when it's 70 degrees in Chicago (in about 6 months) I shall most likely still wear them. I'm stuck on "shall". Therefore I shall bid you good day and thanks for watching. Seriously though, thanks for watching and let's see some of your progress.
                            Last edited by metaldad; 02-06-2013, 07:11 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by metaldad View Post

It's nice to see you back on the forum, MD. And to hear again, the melodious sound of your bag against the drum!

Well, it looks like you have been keeping up with bagging. You look and sound good, and I always enjoy watching your videos.

It's a funny thing about those reverse front fist rolls. Sometimes I can do them. And sometimes not! They are definitely a brain teaser. I think the trick is not to over-think them.

And, as for more cow bell…

and the prescription is more cowbell.**the reason i didn't upload the whole thing is because it would have been taken down eventually.

BAG ON!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...