• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Retro-Baggin'

So... as promised (and because it's colder then a witch's... well, you what ) I fitted my basement platform with a standard 1/4" eye-bolt and tied a 6x9 Title bag on it with a 2" loop (4" length) of old shoe lace... just like the old days!

Hope you enjoy....
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

That was pretty good. Did it work better taping it up? It was pretty quiet too, only the bag slapping the drum. Great combo's too.

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
      That was pretty good. Did it work better taping it up? It was pretty quiet too, only the bag slapping the drum. Great combo's too.

fedora
      I think it was a little more controlable once taped, but the bag can't really twist either....so...a little more hitting and I can let you know my thoughts.

...and thanks!

Oh... and yes... all you hear is the bag, which is refreshing too!

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

I was playing with my plastic everlast ballhook and took the eye and S hook out of the ball and put some cord through it and tied it onto a bag. Since the ball still swung it worked pretty well. Unfortunately I didn't get the cord tied to the back side of the ball good enough and it came out sending the bag across the room. I think your idea of a shoe lace would work though and I may try that tomorrow. It really was quiet and since the ball still moved in the housing it didn't twist and you still had good control, even for a newbie.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          So... as promised (and because it's colder then a witch's... well, you what ) I fitted my basement platform with a standard 1/4" eye-bolt and tied a 6x9 Title bag on it with a 2" loop (4" length) of old shoe lace... just like the old days!

Hope you enjoy....
          First of all, your baggin' skills are really improving!. Man you're throwing some pretty fancy combinations there, shadow punching with inward elbows.... I see it. Great stuff....

On that double string swivel and twisting, why not make it a single string? Tie one end around the bag loop, tie the other end of ONE strand around the swivel eye with just enough play to let it move freely. I imagine ONE strand of string or rope won't twist as bad as two. The main problem looks to be either punching "upward" under the belly, pushing the bag upwards and taking tension off the string, or punching just a tad late in the rebound, which will do the same thing, making the fist contact a bit under the bag, driving it upward.

But... a cool idea and clever video ala the silent days motif.

you should do this for living....
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2010

First of all, darn good baggin' and on a shoestring no less.

Secondly, i also dig the silent movie era type vid. and the scratches in the film effect. Cool.

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Great job, Zaza. Sorta imagined a bespeckled Buster Keaton hitting the bag. Nice!

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                I was playing with my plastic everlast ballhook and took the eye and S hook out of the ball and put some cord through it and tied it onto a bag. Since the ball still swung it worked pretty well. Unfortunately I didn't get the cord tied to the back side of the ball good enough and it came out sending the bag across the room. I think your idea of a shoe lace would work though and I may try that tomorrow. It really was quiet and since the ball still moved in the housing it didn't twist and you still had good control, even for a newbie.

fedora
                That sounds interesting...I'd love to see that in action. Post a little video if you can.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                First of all, your baggin' skills are really improving!. Man you're throwing some pretty fancy combinations there, shadow punching with inward elbows.... I see it. Great stuff....

On that double string swivel and twisting, why not make it a single string? Tie one end around the bag loop, tie the other end of ONE strand around the swivel eye with just enough play to let it move freely. I imagine ONE strand of string or rope won't twist as bad as two. The main problem looks to be either punching "upward" under the belly, pushing the bag upwards and taking tension off the string, or punching just a tad late in the rebound, which will do the same thing, making the fist contact a bit under the bag, driving it upward.
                Thanks Alan...yeah, it takes a little getting used to. I wanted to see what it was like in Doris' day. This is how her bags were suspended to the platform (with the loop of cord)....which makes her hitting THAT much more incredible! The video here really is my first attempt, I wanted to keep it real. I have to say, I love just hearing the bag & not a peep of a swivel sound.

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                First of all, darn good baggin' and on a shoestring no less.
                Thanks ebozyn...those six-ways are all thanks to you and your videos. I never thought I'd be able to do them, but practice makes it happen. Check you PM!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                Great job, Zaza. Sorta imagined a bespeckled Buster Keaton hitting the bag. Nice!
                Thanks Biff... I ALMOST took this one to another level and was going to play with the frame rate. The old films had a 15 fps rate, that's why they look like fast motion.

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

I have to say, I love just hearing the bag & not a peep of a swivel sound.
                  Do you like the feel?

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    Do you like the feel?
                    You know... I do! I'm going to try to shorten the loop a bit to tighten the arc. It takes a little getting used to, but it shouldn't limit you in any way other then the fancy spinning of the bag.

I do see (and understand) the natural progression of attaching the cord to a ball so it doesn't twist. I'd like to rig the eye-bolt to a bearing (like you suggested) so it spins freely and see what that is like too.

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

Agree with shortening the arc, the bag really flies then. With the bearing you'll find the eye bolt orients itself 90 degrees from where you have it, not that it matters, just noting. Also, I think it may be possible to saw open the eye where it wraps around and touches itself - so that there's a small place where the shoestring or cord can be slipped on and off the eye -- making it a quick change set-up if you leave the cord attached to the bag loop. Not sure, but I think it can be done without interfering with the cord while punching.

This style swivel can maybe find a place for itself again today. Variety is often a good thing.

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Interesting FYI...
                        Just finished hitting on the retro again... it is fun....but I changed back to a ball-hook swivel before the shoelace broke...it was like learning all over again. The two are VERY different.

I might try a cable tie or piece of leather next time to see how those hold up.

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

Interesting FYI...
                          Just finished hitting on the retro again... it is fun....but I changed back to a ball-hook swivel before the shoelace broke...it was like learning all over again. The two are VERY different.

I might try a cable tie or piece of leather next time to see how those hold up.
                          I wrapped the shoelace around 3 times. I bought new shoelace just for this purpose and these would last "forever" tripled up this way. My eyebolt was stainless, selected for a smooth finish.

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                            I wrapped the shoelace around 3 times. I bought new shoelace just for this purpose and these would last "forever" tripled up this way. My eyebolt was stainless, selected for a smooth finish.
                            Good idea on the wraps...every penny I have is going into the film, so it's used laces for me! I do have the stainless eye-bolt too...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...