My TOTAL homemade Ball-Hook Swivel (0$ Cost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • questionare
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

How To My TOTAL homemade Ball-Hook Swivel (0$ Cost)

Hi there,

Finally, I was able to make a complete HOMEMADE ball-hook swivel.

After registering in this forum, I read about members doing their own ball-hook swivel, but most of the posts, were building on an already made swivel (i.e. using the cover of everlast U hook). So I decided to make a complete and totally homemade ball-hook swivel, with the minimum cost.

The hardest part was to find the metal ball, I started looking for a piece that contains the metal ball, and since we always spare old car parts after replacement, I found the car wheel axis "tie rod" is an amazing choice:

As you see in the below pictures, I detailed the steps of making my homemade ball hook swivel, and this swivel costed me 0$

Below is a breif description of each photo (from left to right, first row first):
    1. This is the car axis tie rod, as you see its two ends contain a metal balls.
    2. I cut out each end, and ended with a screw-with a ball, inside a metal cap.
    3. By knocking on the screw toward the ball, you will get the screw ball, and an empty metal cap.
    4. I removed the plastic sheild from the ball, so it is loose within the metal cap.
    5,6 I re-put the metal ball-screw inside the metal cap, this would be the container of the ball-hook.
    7,8 . I cut some length from the screw, and welded a U metal to the end of the screw, then welded the metal cap to a flat metal piece, this metal piece will be attached to the platform.
    9,10 the swivel is attached to the platform.

I greased it, and it is fast, and don't have a noisy sound, I hope I will be able to video its motion, and put it here for evaluation.

Your comments please
    Attached Files
    Last edited by questionare; 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Once again and ingenius creation. Love to see how it hits in a video.
    Great job.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

Cool little SWIV. I also would like to see and hear this thing in action.

You gotta love the sound of a ball hook swivel in action. Even the quieter ones. I just finished hitting on a Everlast Plastic Ball w S-Hook 2 minutes ago. Hardly any sound out of it, but what sound there was from it, is so sweet.

Yes. Video Please. Nice creation.

Comment

• Johnny O
        • Apr 2011

Nice… I like you were able to use existing stuff that was headed for a scrap yard. Post this baby in action!

Comment

• DarthPistachio
          • Mar 2012

I'd like to see this in action too - very interested in making one of these myself
          Find out a lot about me by visiting these sites:
          Meshweaver - Fabsreptiles
          They say that 1,000 monkeys with 1,000 typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare - now thanks to the internet we know this is not true....

Comment

• questionare
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2012

Thanks all for the feedback,

I will shoot a video once I get my NOS Ringside bags (they are in their way); since my BBE bag is lopsided

Thanks again

Comment

• questionare
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Gozzee
              A question. I don't see how you put a bag on this without adding a clip-on hook to the bottom of it. If that isn't what you are supposed to do than what are you supposed to do?
              I have added an S-Hook, as shown in the attached pictures
              Attached Files
              Last edited by questionare; 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Somehow I missed this thread. Interesting!

Comment

• UK mark
                  • Nov 2018

Great idea, thinking outside the box, I too also work in the motor trade so the next time I replace said part ill try this idea

Comment

• peragio
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by questionare View Post
                    Thanks all for the feedback,

I will shoot a video once I get my NOS Ringside bags (they are in their way); since my BBE bag is lopsided

Thanks again
                    Nice swivel, can't wait to see it in action. So where do you get NOS ringside bags? I would like to get one. Thanks

Comment

• pinzpirate
                      • Feb 2020

I have been repairing cars building HotRods, Racecars and maintaining and restoring antique cars, mostly sports cars from every continent on the planet for forty years Using automotive tie rod ends to make a swivel is a novel idea but unfortunately it is very unlikely it will work very well Just ask the Arc Man the geometry is fatally flawed and that's just for starters Brand new in the box you can't move them with your bare hands easily when there worn out enough to try to work that creates all the obvious issues

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jul 2019

I have never seen this thread before . I am glad I checked it out. Hearing about automotive parts used as swivel is very interesting. Thanks .......don’t care about a Porsche tho.

Comment

• pinzpirate
                          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post
                          I have never seen this thread before . I am glad I checked it out. Hearing about automotive parts used as swivel is very interesting. Thanks .......don’t care about a Porsche tho.
                          If you are ever in west central Florida i'll let you drive my Boxster S As long you can drive a stick!

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by pinzpirate View Post
                            I have been repairing cars building HotRods, Racecars and maintaining and restoring antique cars, mostly sports cars from every continent on the planet for forty years Using automotive tie rod ends to make a swivel is a novel idea but unfortunately it is very unlikely it will work very well Just ask the Arc Man the geometry is fatally flawed and that's just for starters Brand new in the box you can't move them with your bare hands easily when there worn out enough to try to work that creates all the obvious issues
                            "I greased it, and it is fast, and don't have a noisy sound"

One of you is right and I don't know which one.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...