Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Nice demo, Reno. Yikes, that swivel looks like it is wickedly fast.

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
    Forgot to mention in the vid, that backpack on the top is full of about $45 in pennies......
    How appropriate. That's one way to use those pennies. And, when you tire of them... you can use them to buy a new bag!
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

nice lookin' swivel, but WOW! metal ball hooks are so LOUD! i almost got a headache just listening to the vid. For my ears i really want a metal ball in a plastic base like you show at the end of the vid, or the plastic ball and base. None the less, that swivel looks tough enough to pound nails with, and then it would still work perfectly.

Comment

• Avadia
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
        nice lookin' swivel, but WOW! metal ball hooks are so LOUD!
        I thought so too, at first. But after hitting with it for a few days, I don't even notice anymore. Also, sandbags on top of the board help dampen the sound of the swivel a bit.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
          nice lookin' swivel, but WOW! metal ball hooks are so LOUD! i almost got a headache just listening to the vid. For my ears i really want a metal ball in a plastic base like you show at the end of the vid, or the plastic ball and base. None the less, that swivel looks tough enough to pound nails with, and then it would still work perfectly.
          I think RenoRattler hits in garage which has a louder echo factor. Also, the "loudness" of the swivel in the video may also be a function of video/audio editing, or lack of it. The true sound of the bag and swivel can often be magnified or muffled via editing.

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
          I thought so too, at first. But after hitting with it for a few days, I don't even notice anymore. Also, sandbags on top of the board help dampen the sound of the swivel a bit.
          A metal Ball hook in a metal housing IS the loudest swivel and it's very noticeable if your used to hitting on a u-bolt or chain link style. For a ballhook the metal ball inside a plastic housing is a perfect mix for you get all the benefits of the ball and eliminate a lot of the clanking noise. The problem is you have to custom make this arrangement. There is no Stock swivel of a "metal ball in plastic housing", and you will need to find two swivels to make this.... First, an everlast plastic ballhook to get the the plastic housing. Second, you'll have to get a metal ball with the attached eyeshank and hook, from some other metal ballhook. http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/speedbag_swivels#A
          Then you have to take the metal ball and eyeshank apart and re-assemble inside the plastic housing.

that's a bunch of hoops to jump through to get a swivel. I've done that on several occassions only because I was lucky enough to have had a bunch of everlast ballhooks laying around. When you do this, here is a close up of the final result and notice you hear very little swivel noise. for video purposes, It took a long time to get used to hitting to music on this swivel because it required a lot of tinkering with the loudness of the music, the bag sound, and ME being able to hear the bag beat above the music, and the video camera (viewer) being able to hear both comfortably. The problem is, the sound of the bag hitting the board (no swivel noise) can easily get lost in the pitch and timbre of the music, so to hear the bag clearly you have to turn the music down, which can make it harder for the viewer to hear both clearly. I've got lots of clips on the editing room floor that can't be posted because either the music or bag is way overpowering in comparison to the other.

(TIP: Punching the speed bag for presentation to others, is often much more difficult than just punching for your own private workout. Camera angle, lighting, loudness of sound, speech presentation if required.... All more difficult if you want others to watch easily.)

For me the key is the action of the ballhook, which IMO yields the purest rebound and does not interfer with the bag flight. You get exactly what your hand gives. Some think the ballhook is slower than other swivels, but I've never had any problem going as fast I wanted to, but I have never been the fastest on a speed bag and for me it's more about control than pure speed.

But there are times when you want that louder rebound sound from a metal ballhook. for instance, when Punch Drumming (hitting the speed bag too music) the louder metal-on-metal contact of the metal ball and metal housing does make it a bit easier to hear the "beat of the bag" easier above the music. (reference problem stated above). As an example, it would be harder to hear the bag beat in this clip,
          without the louder metal ballhook. Most of my earlier video clips have that metal ballhook and it's much easier to perceive the bag beat over the music.

The newest, brilliant addition to the ballhook line is Jumpcannon's Powermill swivel which is an amazing swivel and IMO has a bit lower pitched "clank" than the "normal" metal ballhook, (re: Everlast steel ball & metal housing). I really like the lower sound of it and the short rebound arc. I haven't used it a whole lot yet, but plan on hitting to some of the same music from my older clips where I'm using the older ballhook for comparison. I have a huge vault of punch drumming clips from yesteryear with the older board and ballhook, most of which have NOT been posted online, so finding comparative music won't be a problem. Finding the time to hit, then edit video, is more challenging at the moment.

Sorry this went on too long. Anyway, I agree that anyone will easily adapt to the sound of powermill swivel.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 12-04-2010, 01:55 AM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• RenoRattler
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            I think RenoRattler hits in garage which has a louder echo factor. Also, the "loudness" of the swivel in the video may also be a function of video/audio editing, or lack of it. The true sound of the bag and swivel can often be magnified or muffled via editing.
            Yep, garage that has no sound travel, and I record on my phone, which isn't the most ideal recording interface. I usually just throw my vids straight to the tube from the phone, maybe I'll do a bit of sound control on them from here on out.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...