• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Commander
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2015

Another Noobie!

Greetings,
    I work out regularly at a local Y, mostly with free weights and a few of their machines. I noticed a speed bag mounted near an indoor track that circles the workout area, and thought "what the heck, why not try?" First I found a couple of YouTube videos that demonstrated the basics, and now I mix in several 5 minutes on the speed bag between my other exercises. Now, I'm not a young buck by any means, but am a fairly well-preserved 64 year old. I was able to pick up the basics quickly, and now (at least by YMCA standards) have a very respectable workout. I've noticed the younger guys in the weight room giving me wide berth now, lol . I spend 23 years as a naval officer, hence my user name.
    I look forward to learning a lot. I've ordered the bible and the DVD as well. Thanking you in advance for any assistance and insights!
    Dan
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Welcome Commander! You've come to the right place...can't wait to see some video of your workout.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome aboard, Commander. It sounds like you belong to an old "railroad" YMCA. The Y I frequent has gone through a massive remodeling and expansion program, but in the original gymnasium, there is a track that is suspended over the gym. This was quite common in older Ys, since space was at a premium. The big issue is trying to take a corner shot at the basket - the damn track is in the way. Thankfully they built a new gymnasium/b-ball court with no suspended track.

From a soon-to-be 63 y/o - us old bucks have to stick together. It's always a good feeling when the younger guys stop and take notice. We're not done yet!

Like Zaza mentioned, when you feel it's time, post up some video.

Comment

• Eric
        • May 2014

Commander

Welcome to the world of speedbagging ! Great people, vast knowledge, and some unreal baggers ! Bag on, Sir !!!

Comment

• swfl
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2013

Welcome and Enjoy!

Comment

• SMI Tool
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2014

Welcome aboard!

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Commander View Post
              Greetings,
              I work out regularly at a local Y, mostly with free weights and a few of their machines. I noticed a speed bag mounted near an indoor track that circles the workout area, and thought "what the heck, why not try?" First I found a couple of YouTube videos that demonstrated the basics, and now I mix in several 5 minutes on the speed bag between my other exercises. Now, I'm not a young buck by any means, but am a fairly well-preserved 64 year old. I was able to pick up the basics quickly, and now (at least by YMCA standards) have a very respectable workout. I've noticed the younger guys in the weight room giving me wide berth now, lol . I spend 23 years as a naval officer, hence my user name.
              I look forward to learning a lot. I've ordered the bible and the DVD as well. Thanking you in advance for any assistance and insights!
              Dan

Eye Eye Commander: Welcome aboard. Here a page that should stir the old heart:

Speed Bag on the USS Tortuga

Sorry the link on that page is broken. Apparently the navy changed it some time after Commander Todd Lewis took another assignment.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 03-30-2015, 07:17 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rehamco1
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Commander View Post
                Greetings,
                Dan
                Welcome you are young by my standards enjoy your speed bag journey

Comment

• speedbag4life
                  • Jun 2007

Welcome, sir!

V/R,
                  LT Speedbag4life

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                    Welcome, sir!

V/R,
                    LT Speedbag4life
                    That's right! I forgot, you are in the navy. I don't know about you, but 1978 was a great year for me. I was still in Memphis, seeing Doc Schroeder occasionally and starting working for the MDA.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Commander
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2015

1978 was a good year for me too! I was at my first duty station at the Naval Hospital in Charleston SC and loving the South (especially since I grew up in NE Ohio!)

Thank you one and all for your kind welcome!

Dan

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...