• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stealth
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2013

Hello

I guess I gotta make a post here to make sure I'm not a bot i guess.

Anyway, 29 male here from new york.

Just got my speedbag (everlast adjustable) w/ title bag up and running.

Never hit a speed bag, much less hit anything really with my fists and they are pretty sore today. I can pretty much go with either hand on the 3rd bounce
    for about 30 seconds till it gets crazy and I lose control. Having a blast with it though, I wish i could it for longer but I kinda want to take it easy i guess till i break my hands in. Dunno if it's normal for them to be sore. I googled that actual answer and i found this site.

Looking forward to discussing it with others!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
    I guess I gotta make a post here to make sure I'm not a bot i guess.

Anyway, 29 male here from new york.

Just got my speedbag (everlast adjustable) w/ title bag up and running.

Never hit a speed bag, much less hit anything really with my fists and they are pretty sore today. I can pretty much go with either hand on the 3rd bounce
    for about 30 seconds till it gets crazy and I lose control. Having a blast with it though, I wish i could it for longer but I kinda want to take it easy i guess till i break my hands in. Dunno if it's normal for them to be sore. I googled that actual answer and i found this site.

Looking forward to discussing it with others!
    Hello stealth and welcome to speed bagging and the forum community. The answer to your question is basically YES, it is normally for your hands to be sore if you haven't hit for a long time, or are just starting out. It could also happen if you are hitting with what we call a "loose fist", where the fingers are loosely closed and can bang together as you punch the speed bag. Notice when you are punching a speed bag you hit the sides of your hand a lot more than you do on a heavy bag, with most punches contacting the front of the fist. There is little padding or protection to the hands when hitting on the sides of the fist. If your hands continue to ache and hurt on the speed bag you might consider using hand wraps, which offer more support to the small bones of the hand than gloves do.

Good luck with them and back off the force for a few workouts.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Another cause of sore hands is the bag being too hard. You should be able to take your thumb and press it in on the bag about 3/8" of an inch or so with little effort. Too much air is also not good for the bag, as it stresses the seams and the bladder.

Comment

• Stealth
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2013

Ill check out the bag pressure tonight, hands feel better then yesterday but still a bit sore. I think I'll just wait another day before I go back to hitting it.

Thanks for the info guys, I have hand wraps but I only started using them yesterday after my hands were starting to feel it.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
          Ill check out the bag pressure tonight, hands feel better then yesterday but still a bit sore. I think I'll just wait another day before I go back to hitting it.

Thanks for the info guys, I have hand wraps but I only started using them yesterday after my hands were starting to feel it.
          You can still practice the movements by "air punching", or punching the bag without the bag. just imagine it hanging in front of you, move your hands and body as though it really were there, move as slow as you need to an reproduce the sound it would make in your head. (The more you hit the more "the sound and rhythm of the bag" will become second nature to you and you will hear it in your head as you air punch. This method also helps when you start learning more complicated techniques that utilize both fists or the elbows when your don't quite have the control to pull it off on the bag yet - but you will learn the fist motions. The only thing you will need then is the timing skill to whatever bag size you are using.

This method helps to keep the movements, sounds and rhythm in your mind and body as you are learning, or sitting out for a time from injuries, surgeries or other reasons in life that keep you out from under the board.

Last edited by Speedbag; 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Welcome to the fringe! One more thing... I've been hitting for 2 years now (pretty much everyday...yes, I'm an addict!) and my hands are pretty rough right now. I'm also in NY and with all this cold & snow, the air is really dry, thus, your skin is dry and cracks easily.

I use lotion each evening to heal them, but in the mean time, I just use a pair of gel-gloves so I can keep on keeping on.

Looking forward to hearing & seeing your progress.
            Cheers,
            -Zaza
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Stealth
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Mar 2013

I don't seem to have an issue with them cracking yet, it's more of it just being sore internally lol.

thanks for the tips

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...