Ms Deville después de beber una taza de café.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Roughly translated:

"Ms Deville, after drinking a cup of coffee."

After watching SpeedBagAtaraxis punch drum to Canadian guitarist, Jesse Cook, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIyHH...layer_embedded I was inspired to follow suit.

The tempo in this particular song really grabbed me, not to mention the title – "Cafe Mocha." I L - O - V - E my morning coffee...

¡GOCE!

Bag on!

Okay. So I am a full-fledged ADDICT to punch drumming and especially to Jesse Cook's fabulous music.

I filmed this practice session yesterday (Aug. 14th) and decided to go ahead and post it on You Tube today. It's not perfect, and since it was the first time punching to it, there are several imperfect moments. Hopefully, it's worth watching...

Last edited by MsDeville; 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM. Reason: Added a second video to the thread.
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

AWESOME Ms D!

That sounded Killer Ms D. Very good timing. and i liked that little reverse fist roll, you threw in there.

Good Video, I'll be watching this one a few times.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

...Why is it I suddenly feel like a cup of "de cafe" myself?

Great hittin' as usual. What is that platform made of? It has a plexiglass kind of sound to it.

Now... try it again after 3 Venti cups of joe! I love my coffee too, can't start the day without it.

Many bags from me on this one:
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
        That sounded Killer Ms D. Very good timing. and i liked that little reverse fist roll, you threw in there.

Good Video, I'll be watching this one a few times.
        Thanks ebozyn. Nothing fancy here, but I liked how it sounded with the song. I think this type of music really lends itself to the speed bag sound.

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
        ...Why is it I suddenly feel like a cup of "de cafe" myself?

...What is that platform made of? It has a plexiglass kind of sound to it...
        Why, it's my STEEL DRUM, of course! Actually, it really is a sheet of 1/2-inch steel that was cut in a 32-inch circle. My "Trainer Raul" designed the free-standing setup. It's very sturdy, and has a great rebound. But, the sound is quite different from the traditional wood platforms. I'm okay with it, but someday I would really like to have a butcher block-type drum.
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

Why, it's my STEEL DRUM, of course! Actually, it really is a sheet of 1/2-inch steel that was cut in a 32-inch circle. My "Trainer Raul" designed the free-standing setup. It's very sturdy, and has a great rebound. But, the sound is quite different from the traditional wood platforms. I'm okay with it, but someday I would really like to have a butcher block-type drum.
          Oh... that explains it! I remember reading something about a concrete drum or something? Thanks.
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Bravo Denise! your punch drumming has come a long way. Sneaky reverse fist roll to the front of the bag! Looking great. Keep em coming!
            sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Magnifique! or something like that. You're really rockin' out to it.

I'm proud of your punch drumming improvement over the last year! I can tell you're really feelin' the bag beat.

...and you gotta love Jesse Cook and that music.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2007

A+

What a fantastic array of combos, and a good trak to punch out.

Personally I've had limited success with the under forward fist roll, with what little time I've put into it and it's been kinda noisy at best, but I have found the BFF to be the most user friendly of the bags for this manoeuvre. You appear to be rolling along with them nicely.

Good stuff
                sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2010

You're were Cook'en it up Dee!

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

Roughly translated:

"Ms Deville, after drinking a cup of coffee."

After watching SpeedBagAtaraxis punch drum to Canadian guitarist, Jesse Cook, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIyHH...layer_embedded I was inspired to follow suit.

The tempo in this particular song really grabbed me, not to mention the title – "Cafe Mocha." I L - O - V - E my morning coffee...

¡GOCE!

Bag on!

Love it Dee!

Great Job with adding some variation to your punches again. I really like 1:39 - 1:41; right after the continuous linking you throw a FDP then split fist to catch the bag on the up beat with a RSP triplet rhythm then begin more spit fists by starting with a RDP. You give it a catchy bag beat there. To me that indicates a major jump in your sense of the "Bag Beat" Denise!

Also, being the first take I really like how you hit the one handed linking while simultaneously matching the beat of the violin strikes (1:59 - 2:01 and 2:13 - 2:15).

2:22 - 2:39 you use Inward outward double elbow strikes to the Rhythm. You also mix in some front double punches or a front circle punch to help stay with the beat of the song. I find using the inward outward elbows are very difficult to do much less to music so this impresses me incredibly and then when it becomes a little hard to stay with the beat you improvise with the double or single basic rhythm punch to match the bag beat to the music again. Good recovery with the split fists there!

And lastly, the upward rolls at the end, were actually 2 upwards and a downward to complete the 3 punch roll from the front of the bag. This allows you to use the downward as a more powerful punch as a triplet rhythm punch to use your bag beat to match the music beat.

I can see why you love punch drumming so much Dee you are an inspiration for taking on the challenge that a song brings and trying new and unique music.

And the courage to record your first take while improvising deserves a big round of applause.

Nicely Done MsDeville!!!

Oh and what does ¡GOCE! mean?
                  Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM. Reason: forgot a word
                  Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                    And the courage to record your first take while improvising deserves a big round of applause.
                    Rhonda Applause agrees. No complacency, this gal. Thinks she might become the North American spokeswoman for BFF, too. Could happen, Dee!

Comment

• SpeedBagAtaraxis
                      • Nov 2010

Excellent!

This is awesome!! This was perfect in the sense that it was complementary to the song, as if it were an additional instrument to the song. That's some next level punch drumming. Bravo! 1:40-2:00 was really cool.

Comment

• SpeedBagAtaraxis
                        • Nov 2010

oh.

And also to mention the song choice was great! I love this kind of music.

Comment

• Heppsan
                          • Jan 2011

Wow Dee!!
                          You have really become great on the speed bag, amazing skills!!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Thanks!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                            Bravo Denise! your punch drumming has come a long way. Sneaky reverse fist roll to the front of the bag! Looking great. Keep em coming!
                            (Sorry for not responding till now. I've been busy with lots of little things in life...)
                            Thanks, MD. I think (through Alan's tip on Jesse Cook's music) I have hit on my music of choice these days. But, then, who knows... next month it might be heavy metal. On second thought, I think I'll leave that genre alone... for now anyway.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            Magnifique! or something like that. You're really rockin' out to it.

I'm proud of your punch drumming improvement over the last year! I can tell you're really feelin' the bag beat.
                            Thank you Alan! Your comments mean a lot to me. Like other SB II attendees have stated, this year's event really inspired me, and I think I have transcended to a new level of punching. Not a vast improvement, but an improvement. I have a lot of years ahead of me to (hopefully) improve even more.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            ...and you gotta love Jesse Cook and that music.
                            YES! I am definitely in a Jesse Cook frame of mind these days! Wow! His music is really great to punch drum with. I love it! In fact, I found an album on iTunes that features a lot of his best music, and it's all I've been punching to when I'm out at the woodshed.

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                            A+
                            An A+...!!! I never got very high marks in school... only in my favorite courses: music, art, and drama classes. Thanks, Roc!

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                            What a fantastic array of combos, and a good trak to punch out.

Personally I've had limited success with the under forward fist roll, with what little time I've put into it and it's been kinda noisy at best, but I have found the BFF to be the most user friendly of the bags for this manoeuvre. You appear to be rolling along with them nicely.

Good stuff
                            Thanks...The BFF is at the top of my list for favorite speed balls/bags to punch. But, the yellow Title bag and the white Fighting Sports come in close behind it...

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Love it Dee!

Great Job with adding some variation to your punches again. I really like 1:39 - 1:41; right after the continuous linking you throw a FDP then split fist to catch the bag on the up beat with a RSP triplet rhythm then begin more spit fists by starting with a RDP. You give it a catchy bag beat there. To me that indicates a major jump in your sense of the "Bag Beat" Denise!
                              Jesse Cook's music is becoming so addictive lately... And, it's so beautiful and melodic...

Also, being the first take I really like how you hit the one handed linking while simultaneously matching the beat of the violin strikes (1:59 - 2:01 and 2:13 - 2:15).

2:22 - 2:39 you use Inward outward double elbow strikes to the Rhythm. You also mix in some front double punches or a front circle punch to help stay with the beat of the song. I find using the inward outward elbows are very difficult to do much less to music so this impresses me incredibly and then when it becomes a little hard to stay with the beat you improvise with the double or single basic rhythm punch to match the bag beat to the music again. Good recovery with the split fists there!

And lastly, the upward rolls at the end, were actually 2 upwards and a downward to complete the 3 punch roll from the front of the bag. This allows you to use the downward as a more powerful punch as a triplet rhythm punch to use your bag beat to match the music beat.

I can see why you love punch drumming so much Dee you are an inspiration for taking on the challenge that a song brings and trying new and unique music.

Nicely Done MsDeville!!!

Oh and what does ¡GOCE! mean?
                              Thanks, Kerry, for being so specific and for dissecting this video (must be the "teacher" in you)... it helps point out what I'm actually doing...and I really need someone to tell me, cuz I switch on "auto-pilot" when I start punching... my intuition takes over and I just... go. It's simply instinct. I can't plan this out ahead of time. I think it took all these months of practice, practice, practice before I could drop in the appropriate combo in the music.

Oh. And I have a confession to make. I realized that this was actually the "second-take," but I didn't like the angle of the first shot, and I did this one. But, I forgot to check my camera and unfortunately, I ran out of film on this second take. DANG. That's why I'm only in a portion of the song. (I took out the beginning punching, because it took me half a minute to "find the beat.")

But, I'm pleased how this turned out. Hopefully, the Jesse Cook fans will come across this video on You Tube and "Like" it. Although, I did receive one "Dislike" rating on the video, so far. Maybe it's from a die-hard fan of Jesse Cook... or a hard-core speed bagger (who doesn't like punch-drumming?)

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                              Rhonda Applause agrees. No complacency, this gal. Thinks she might become the North American spokeswoman for BFF, too. Could happen, Dee!
                              Thanks, Jim. Spokeswoman for BFF... I like that idea!

Originally posted by SpeedBagAtaraxis View Post
                              This is awesome!! This was perfect in the sense that it was complementary to the song, as if it were an additional instrument to the song. That's some next level punch drumming. Bravo! 1:40-2:00 was really cool.
                              Thanks, Matthew! This is my goal. The speed bag and the platform –these are my instruments. That section of the song – 1:40-2:00 – is my favorite.

Originally posted by SpeedBagAtaraxis View Post
                              And also to mention the song choice was great! I love this kind of music.

I still have a ways to go, especially with my speed. The BFF has helped me build some muscles, and stamina. And, now, it's on to the Fighting Sports bag. I've been punching strictly to Jesse Cook (or similar artists on Pandora.com) and the FS helps me to "pick up the pace." And I like the sound it makes on my platform, especially when punching to this style of music.

Originally posted by Heppsan View Post
                              Wow Dee!!
                              You have really become great on the speed bag, amazing skills!!
                              Thanks, Henke. It's a passion that I hope will never wane. Thanks to everyone, for all the great compliments. They really encourage me to improve.

Oh, and I forgot to answer novaspeedbagger's question: "Oh and what does ¡GOCE! mean?"

I was trying to be "cute" and speak in Spanish. I thought it meant "ENJOY" but I think it really means ENJOYMENT. Either way, I hope I it brought some enjoyment to others...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...