• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KLunker18
    • Feb 2021

Punch Drum Practice

Send Me On My Way
    Just wanted to share a work in progress. I punched this up for my son and had a lot of fun. The audience of 1 was quite intimidating!! I’m trying to add inward elbows and quad variations at a decent tempo. Some obvious booboos but those happen! I’d be a better drummer if I wasn’t a beat off!! lemme know what u guys think.
    Kevin

• dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

You truly have my attention now. That was nothing short of WOW! Please keep them coming

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by KLunker18 View Post
      https://youtu.be/kUfyuhPSCpk
      Send Me On My Way
      Just wanted to share a work in progress. I punched this up for my son and had a lot of fun. The audience of 1 was quite intimidating!! I’m trying to add inward elbows and quad variations at a decent tempo. Some obvious booboos but those happen! I’d be a better drummer if I wasn’t a beat off!! lemme know what u guys think.
      Kevin
      "I'd be a better drummer if I wasn't off beat!"

Tell me about it! I could have been a singer if I could carry a tune! drat!

Priceless!

As for adding "inward elbows" or "quads"..... I would suggest focusing on the "SOUND" or "BEAT PATTERN" a repetitive combination makes, not the combination itself. The Speed Bag BEAT, should drive your punch drumming rather than a speed bag COMBINATION.

For instance, many of those "fancy", more difficult combinations are "single rebound" combinations, like a Front Fist Roll, but the beat pattern they make, with certain bag contacts a bit louder than others, is totally different. The flowing phantom punch (OTES - FSP) combination has a different accent pattern, but it is just a single rebound skill. The key (IMO) is figuring out "WHERE and HOW" in the measure you will enter into it. For instance with the phantom combination you "could" start on the OTES elbow contact on "beat one" of the measure... or... You could start it with a FSP under the other arm on "beat one" of the measure... and the sound/beat pattern with the measure is completely different. And you will find the obvious "exit point" of that each method is also different. How it mixes with other combinations may depended on how you initiated the combinations.

IMO the best way to work out those more complicated but flowing combinations and how the beat pattern can vary within a measure of music is to practice doing them with a metronome to nail down the smooth entry and exit points. For instance ... For ME, I almost always enter that phantom punch combination from a Reverse Single Punch..(RSP) passing that fist through (to the front) so the "other fist" will connect in the "under arm Front Straight Punch (FSP) on "beat one" ... or ON THE BEST. The RSP was inbetween the beats.

Your combinations in this video are amazing, but I'd recommend working on the entry and exit points in the measure to utilize their beat pattern "More efficient" ... (like being "on beat" more efficiently)

End result IMO. Focus on bag beat pattern of combinations you want to use more than the physical combinations themselves.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• KLunker18
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

"I'd be a better drummer if I wasn't off beat!"

Tell me about it! I could have been a singer if I could carry a tune! drat!

Priceless!

As for adding "inward elbows" or "quads"..... I would suggest focusing on the "SOUND" or "BEAT PATTERN" a repetitive combination makes, not the combination itself. The Speed Bag BEAT, should drive your punch drumming rather than a speed bag COMBINATION.
        Alan you missed a pun there!!
        "I'd be a better drummer if I wasnt a beat off!!" lol.

Thank you so much for time reviewing. And I should have been more clear that I'm trying to introduce more inwards and quads because of the Sounds they make!
        I know nothing about music. I can only play the radio! But I Iook at inward elbows as 2 and 3 single beats (some the bag hits elbow 2x),... and of course quads make 4 beats. Throw in a phantom and I got a 5 beat move that I can try and match to the beat of the music.

This is what I'm trying to work on, thanks... "I'd recommend working on the entry and exit points in the measure to utilize their beat pattern "More efficient" ... (like being "on beat" more efficiently)"
        and having fun in the process!!!

Comment

• dad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2018

KLunker18, every day when I log in there are anywhere from 50 to 150 visitors online and when you think about it that is only a single moment in time in a 24hr. day around the world. You are truly a really good bagger but something you said really caught my attention and I would like to share that with the forum members but just as important with the non-members for we were all non-member at one time. Speed bagging is like anything else in life the harder you work at it the better you will become but hard work may at times not be enough, the key to opening the door is what KLunker18 said "and having fun in the process!!!"

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Excellent Punchdrumming!!! I still shake my head at how fast people learn the speed bag these days....took me a few years to get where you are!
            (actually, you're much better) What a great community. BAG ON!
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Antwan
              • Mar 2021

Originally posted by KLunker18 View Post
              https://youtu.be/kUfyuhPSCpk
              Send Me On My Way
              Kevin
              Yo Kevin i've watched your video and what i think is that for getting better at punch drumming you should stick to the basic techniques until you get a better feel for it.

I don't understand music like Alan or Joe does and it's all on feeling it.
              You are an advanced bagger and you can do mindblowing combo's but stop using them to get better at drumming.
              techniques like the windshieldwiper, the houdini and stuff like that can be used, but it's harder to learn when using these!

If you have the bible read echo rythms over and over, keep the book with you when practicing!
              or watch Alan's videos on punchdrumming on instagram, it's perfectly explained by him in those.

once you get it down with the basic ( original ) 24 techniques you'l notice that you'll find moments where you can add those "insanity" combo's on beat.

Comment

• dad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2018

KLunker18, everyone has opinion BUT that advise (Antwan) is something that (I) under any circumstances would not ignore. Great advise coming form a Great bagger. ENJOY

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...