• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grand Ave. Gym
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2011

A collection of platforms

I guess I am an old geezer but wished and wanted to post at least once..
    I have trouble navigating this site and it took a long time to log in;
    passwords, blah-blah..I've been running the Grand Avenue Boxing Gym
    in Portland since 1990 (Est.1949). I have been involved with the sport for near 3 times as long..We have 3 of the old time platforms, two of them NGE and one a Medart No.1255 from 1912.. Only one is in use now and I am re-installing the Medart with an original old Whitley ball bearing swivel I've had for years in the original box..I have some older swivels around as those old ball bearing swivels went out of favor years ago..But I saved em, some from the 20's.We have always cut a piece of PVC to fit on the platform as it gives three times the wear to speed bags plus much better rebound.. And yes, I've seen some great artists at the speed bags, seen floor mounted bags to work with the feet and impromtu exhibitions where the hat was passed to show appreciation... If I get better at this I will post some photos in the future..
    Fred grandavenuegym@aol.com
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Wow, would love to see your photos.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Yep, I'd sure like to see pics of that equipment and a video of their demo's.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome 'geezer' !

Welcome to the forum, Fred!

YES, by all means, please post some photos! We would love to see them!
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• ExEODCDR
          • Apr 2011

Yes! What everyone else said!
          -
          Owner/Operator
          www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Feb 2010

Wow, sounds amazing! Interesting post.

Would love to see pictures too, or hear your experiences of the speedbag exhibitions.

Comment

• Grand Ave. Gym
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jul 2011

Found My old Swivels

Today I took a trip to the basement and found what I was looking for,
              The old swivels I saved for some reason or another..There are 3 and all
              in an old tin cigar box.. All are the ball bearing type.. One is a Whitley,
              Hakensack, N.J, that looks to be from the 30's or 40's with 4 mounting holes.. One is a Moosehead-Whitley, Exerciser Co. NY, that looks to be early last
              century, has 3 mounting holes.. The last is a Nichols No. 309, patented June 12,1900, has 3 mounting holes..These last two have an attractive filligre around the mounting boss.But they are both different..One of these last two, and I don't remember which, had some historical significance but its lost in
              the smoke and cloud of passing time to me right now..And so what do I do
              with them ? Put them up for offers or what ? Please advise..
              Fredy Ryan
              grandavenuegym@aol.com

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

I'd love to get one of those 3-mounting hole swivels to finish off this restoration:

It originally came with a Spalding No.5 swivel...you wouldn't happen to have one of those in an old tin box?

...and welcome to the forum!
                Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Grand Ave. Gym View Post
                  Hakensack, N.J, that looks to be from the 30's or 40's with 4 mounting holes.. One is a Moosehead-Whitley, Exerciser Co. NY, that looks to be early last
                  century, has 3 mounting holes.. The last is a Nichols No. 309, patented June 12,1900, has 3 mounting holes..These last two have an attractive filligre around the mounting boss.But they are both different..One of these last two, and I don't remember which, had some historical significance but its lost in
                  Fredy Ryan
                  grandavenuegym@aol.com
                  Sounds like some pretty cool "treasures." I'm very interested in making an offer on one of those swivels...

I guess Trainer Raul and I will need to plan a trip down to Portland for sure!
                  sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                  I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Grand Ave. Gym View Post
                    Fredy Ryan
                    grandavenuegym@aol.com

Welcome to the forum Fred! I too would appreciate seeing some pictures of this vintage equipment. Speed bagging is an activity that truly invites all people to give it a try. I am not a boxer, but have always viewed boxers as being the top of the class, in terms of fitness level and conditioning.

I can't wait to some photos of the gym and equipment. Would it be possible for you to post some sparring/training photos of boxers in the gym as well?
                    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Swivels

I offered to upload these photos for Fred. This is the information Fred provided in the email:

Left to right;
                      Nichols, Patented June 12 1900
                      Whitely
                      Moosehead-Whitely Exerciser Co. NY

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nicols_Whitely_Moosehead-Whitely.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	87963

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swivels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	87964

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Aug 2010

Thanks for posting these pics Denise and thanks for providing the photos Fred!
                        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• saulsbury
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Sep 2011

medart 1255 1912 punching assparatus

Anyone interested in a Medart 1255-- 1912 (year) assparatus?

Comment

• JoMan2
                            • Dec 2020

Did anyone ever pick up the 2 NGE's & The Medart 1912 from this gentleman?

If not, they unfortunately they might have been lost to fire when their boxing gym burned down in August 2019.

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Oh No!!!!
                              The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...