Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More thoughts on calories burned while speed bagging

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More thoughts on calories burned while speed bagging

    I've read some posts on heart rate and calories burned hitting the speed bag. But I assume they were based on the triplet rythym.

    I was wandering how long some of you guys can continue "sprinting" on the speed bag without letting the bag rebound more than once, i.e., rapid fire fist rolling. If I go full speed I can't go much more than a minute and I bet that burns alot of calories.

    I have a gym at home and between sets, I try to rapid fire fist roll for one whole minute. Toward the end of the work out, I can only go 30 seconds. I have my treadmill under my speed bag, so its easy for me to time myself on the digital display.

    Also, was wandering how many times you hit the bag with normal triplet rythym per minute. I hit about 120 time per minute or twice per second.

    Thoughts?

  • #2
    Originally posted by dsmith2296 View Post
    I've read some posts on heart rate and calories burned hitting the speed bag. But I assume they were based on the triplet rythym.

    I was wandering how long some of you guys can continue "sprinting" on the speed bag without letting the bag rebound more than once, i.e., rapid fire fist rolling. If I go full speed I can't go much more than a minute and I bet that burns alot of calories.

    I have a gym at home and between sets, I try to rapid fire fist roll for one whole minute. Toward the end of the work out, I can only go 30 seconds. I have my treadmill under my speed bag, so its easy for me to time myself on the digital display.

    Also, was wandering how many times you hit the bag with normal triplet rythym per minute. I hit about 120 time per minute or twice per second.

    Thoughts?
    I don't know of any legitimate studies on calories burned in relation to speed bag punching, but there is some reports about calories burned per 1 hour of boxing: punching a bag, based on a persons weight. In fact, you can calculate that on this site for your own weight.

    Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll) as fast as you can control, and the calories burned, might also be effected by bag size. Large bags are slightly heavier and displace more air, and that could effect the overall measurement. It would be a great topic for study.

    The punching rate per minute using the triplet rhythm is also variable because it could be influenced by bag size (smaller bag is faster) and inflation pressure. An overinflated bag will go faster, increasing the possible punching rate. Personally, I've heard all kinds of speed bag punching rates, without much qualification to bag size or pressure. Here is one from Jim Bradley SpeedBall company (* look to the right margin...)

    Latest competition Speedball results.

    1 minute = 352

    3 minutes = 953

    What does that tell you? (not much..)

    If you want to increase your calorie output, try walking or jogging on your treadmill while you punch the bag. Joining the speed bag with other equipment can really increase the effort required and coordination to pull it off.
    Speed Bag

    Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

    THE 10th Year Reunion!

    sigpic

    The Art of the Bag

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks for the links and the information.

      I also reiterate for those that think the speed bag only exerts you like a slow jog, that if you go full sprint fist rolling sustained for several minutes, its like running a 440m as far as heart goes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Howdy!

        Yeah! Sprints are great. I mainly do them down at the gym. Out of their 4bags they have 2 of the biggest bags I have ever seen, one hard and one soft and they're both set rather high. In fact when I (F-Roll) on the firm bag (I only use firm bag) my fists are at the same level as the top of my head.

        I love to (R-Roll) in this manner as well and because the bag is set so high I have the added risk of my fist bouncing off the bag and cracking me in the face, so in some ways, when I exersize caution I am also honing my skills. Also on most other bags I am having trouble with my (R-Roll) but because of the size and weight of these bags I am able to perform extended (R-Roll).

        Now about that record. I've been meaning to commence a thread in relation to that. So without delving to deeply into it here and now, I would just like to say 'I agree with the King', there would be so many variable factors involved. For starters, the obvious, you are going to have to strike the bag on average 6 times per second and then your going to have to do it for an entire minute. As much as I love a good (F-Roll), in my opinion, I think that would be a pretty big ask. However I believe I have developed a 6 punch strike combination which once performed cleanly, on a consistant basis could comfortably get you to the minute mark, but I'll talk on that further when I open a thread on this topic.

        Good luck with your (F-Roll)

        Adam
        Last edited by Roc Stone; 12-31-2007, 01:37 AM.
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          I don't know of any legitimate studies on calories burned in relation to speed bag punching, but there is some reports about calories burned per 1 hour of boxing: punching a bag, based on a persons weight. In fact, you can calculate that on this site for your own weight.
          I've got an electronic heart rate monitor that also includes calories burned. I dusted it off and changed the batteries (hasn't been used in years) and get some readings.

          Comment


          • #6
            Counter

            Is there anything you can put on the platform to count rebounds?

            Comment


            • #7
              look here : http://www.jimbradley.com.au/html/s1...v_top_id=Shop2

              Comment


              • #8

                I would love to test drive that device. $250 is pretty expensive, but it sounds like it might be fun.

                Comment


                • #9
                  For information on the JimBradley's website, shipping price are included in the products. I have bought a speedbag http://www.jimbradley.com.au/html/s1...v_top_id=Shop2 and swivel http://www.jimbradley.com.au/html/s1...v_top_id=Shop2 and had no additional shipping charges. It took 1 month to be delivered. Their speedbag are very good, top leather quality ( no comparison with everlast speedbag leather ). When you see the bag you understand the price. The speedbag works very well and fast with their swivel. The swivel is short so the speedbag rebound is faster ! I have try to put some everlast speedbag on this polycarbon swivel, it works but not as good as the jimbradley's speedbag. Their products are really made to work together ! the only reproach I have about their speedbag is the loop, not made in leather but in nylon, so I'm sure the usury is most important and fast. But it's a very, very good product, for beginner and advanced users.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Speedball?

                    Not familiar with the term "speedball" -- is it the same as "speed bag"? I didn't think a generic term like speed bag would have copyright issues so what's with the alternative terminology?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dsmith2296 View Post
                      Not familiar with the term "speedball" -- is it the same as "speed bag"? I didn't think a generic term like speed bag would have copyright issues so what's with the alternative terminology?
                      In the UK and Australia it's commonly referred to as a speed ball, but it is indeed the speed bag. No reason in particular, just like they call an elevator a "lift" or a truck a "lorrie".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks Bloke!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          In the UK and Australia it's commonly referred to as a speed ball, but it is indeed the speed bag. No reason in particular, just like they call an elevator a "lift" or a truck a "lorrie".
                          It is also called a "punch ball", "pear ball", or "pear bag" (South Africa).
                          Speed Bag

                          Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

                          THE 10th Year Reunion!

                          sigpic

                          The Art of the Bag

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            I've got an electronic heart rate monitor that also includes calories burned. I dusted it off and changed the batteries (hasn't been used in years) and get some readings.
                            here's some data on calories burned while speed bagging.
                            http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...13&postcount=4

                            In a nutshell , 20 minutes with a Title 10x7 bag burned 180 calories.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              'Speed Ball' is Aussie terminology and I think it is also widely referred to in the UK that way as well. I also have a Jim Bradley bag and swivel and I can concur with Paco, together they are a very fast combination. Those swivels deliver so much speed, however I find them quite limited when it comes to (SSP)'s and (SDP)'s; no somplaints about the bag though, it rebounds cleanly in any direction.

                              I've been lucky enough to acquire one of the last Everlast 2 piece metal ball & hook swivels, it just arrived yesterday. I purchased an Everlast 4214 (7x10) and the swivel came with it, as well as a small booklet called "Health & Training Guide" by Emerson P. Smith. Apparently Coach Smith was/is a leading authority on boxing & fitness and was reponsible for conditioning over 100 000 Midshipmen at the US naval academy The copyright of the booklet dates back to 1994. In fact the bag itself looks to be different from the other model Everlast 4210 (of the same design) that I have. While the materials used on both bags are identical, even down to that yellow tag at the bottom, the 1994 4214 does not appear to look as obese around the lace up area as the 4210. Just checked both bags out again, the 1994 4214 was made in the US, the 4210 was made in China. Ok, there's the reason for the difference, the cost of having the bags manufactured.

                              Like I said "I'm not complaining", it appears that I've got one of the last brand new metal 2 piece ball hook swivels, which I know (having read previous posts) would mean something to a lot of you. But having said that I must say that I believe this swivel must have been produced around Everlasts time of transition because the flange that screws to the drum is made of hard plastic.

                              Now I've just done a comparison with the Everlast 2 piece ball hook and the Jim bradley poly swivel. The J/B is approx 10mm shorter than the ball hook. So on that observation, do we need any further information to be able to assess which swivel is gonig to bring the fastest delivery. Or would 'yuz all' rather me perform the #$Ac!d T*sT#@$%...???
                              Adam
                              Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-04-2008, 06:11 AM.
                              sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X