• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmhtkmhtkmht
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2006

3 Hours on the Bag Overkill?

Having picked up the Speed Bag for a while, I spend A LOT of time on it during my Gym Sessions...

Is spending 3 hours on the bag too much?

What negatives are there from just doing this?
    ________
    Lamborghini Bravo Specifications
    Last edited by kmhtkmhtkmht; 04-22-2011, 11:01 AM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Based on what I know about exercise and physiology, I don't think it's bad at all if you exercise for this amount of time. The only time I think it would be bad is if you did this every day. You need to wait a day or two between sessions to allow your body to recover, just like you shouldn't be lifting weights and concentrating on the same muscle group day in and day out.

I'm no expert, that's just what I learned when I went to a Master Physical Fitness Trainer class when I was in the Army.

I'm sure Alan's experience with the bag and his experience in rehabilitation will give us more information.

Comment

• kmhtkmhtkmht
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2006

I've been going to the gym with trainers since a young age and I found normal gym exercises extremely boring, I boxed when I was a kid so I just retook it up again when I realized one of my gyms had quite a comprehensive boxing area.

The Speed Bag fascinated me simply because that many people cannot do it - picked it up and practice as often as possible - I do give it a rest between days and I've just realized how much fun the floor to ceiling ball is. If you don't hit it right, your hand will miss it!
      ________
      THE CIGAR BOSS

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I'd say as long as you aren't sore the next day it's OK! Regardless, I agree with Chris you probably want to rest a day or two to recover. As a beginner I ramped up too quickly and had pretty good soreness in the hands to go with it. When I first started out I could easily lose track of time and spend an hour or more on it. Being married with 2 kids I'm lucky to find 20 minutes a day for the speed bag these days.
        Last edited by Tim; 08-28-2006, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag time.

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht
          Having picked up the Speed Bag for a while, I spend A LOT of time on it during my Gym Sessions...

Is spending 3 hours on the bag too much?

What negatives are there from just doing this?
          What are you doing during those "3 hours"? Constantly punching, non-stop at full force (or close to it..), or hitting for a short while, then working lightly on new techniques or combinations, then thinking about it, then hitting a little more at much less than full power, (learning speed...)

If you are punching non-stop, it would definitely be hard on the hands and shoulders. Especially on a new user.

I agree with a little time, like every other day, to rest a little, or maybe two bag days, then a day off. The down side would be injury, and perhaps loss of interest.
          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

* in my younger days, (and while developing The Speed Bag Bible), I spent many 3 - 8 hour days on the bag, video taping, writing down combinations, and thinking out loud to myself, outlining what I was doing in my mind. For many months I had a training/video studio in my garage, and would train and tape at night (a little hot and noisy during the day [cars..]). Many weekends I spent all Friday and Saturday night, from 9pm to sunrise, hitting, writing basically LEARNING more than I ever knew before about speed bag, camera angles, lighting, etc. I had a purpose for it, and did not spend much time just pounding away. ( OK, occassionally I would lapse into an hour of letting it rip, just for fun..)

The result was over 60 2-hour tapes of hitting, several notebooks full of notes and a whole new system to write speed bag combinations, (along with several new techniques). Also chronic shoulder pain and a few other physical dings along the way. For the average speed bag user, I don't advocate that kind of fanaticism. But I had a purpose.

Back to your question, I would say an hour a day of sensible training is a good limit.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• kmhtkmhtkmht
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2006

Kept a mental note of my "session" today and realized asides from a personal challenge to myself to attempt to master it, it really isn't that productive at all...

I find that I just like doing the "rolling" the hands and getting the bag to bounce off the board once and back again...

I know I am not moving my feet right (or even at all sometimes) and I am not "rolling" my shoulders enough...

I find myself hitting the bag most often with the part behind the pinky knuckle (the fat bit) and not actually the knuckle... wrong?

My hands get sore when I hit with the pinky knuckle... as in it hurts for like a day sometimes...

I stand with my left ear more prone to facing the Speed Bag and my left ears ring afterwards...
            ________
            N52

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...