X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teetu
    • Aug 2006

Ringside, Title, and Everlast - and how they are related or not

I ordered some new speed bags because the 8X13 one I had wasn't doing me any good. Unforunately the 6X9 everlast I got is lop-sided and I couldn't find any info on how to remedy this. The everlast 4213 11X8 that I got is a very nice bag in that it is very smooth, but the tubing/piping is interfering with rebounds. So my question is whether or not the bag will break in, or if I'm screwed and the piping will always interfere. Any tips on breaking a bag in?

I know some of you guys recommend the title bags, but I was wondering if these newer everlast professional speed bags are any good and whether or not the tubing is also a nuisance. http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...peed-bags.html
    I liked the way the everlast bags look vs the title ones.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bags

Originally posted by Teetu
    ... I couldn't find any info on how to remedy this. The everlast 4213 11X8 that I got is a very nice bag in that it is very smooth, but the tubing/piping is interfering with rebounds. So my question is whether or not the bag will break in, or if I'm screwed and the piping will always interfere. Any tips on breaking a bag in?
    The only tip generally is to hit it. I normally do not like to overinflate a bag, but in my experience, the welted seams (piping is your term) will flatten quicker on a harder, slighlty overinfated bag. IMO, that puts more of the rebound pressure on the bag surface, (extra air pressure won't let it sink in - and the seams flatten a bit quicker. But they will eventually flatten some over time. Warning: it takes a bit more experience and ability to control the bag to use this tip, for overinflating a small bag will make it go much faster. As an alternative, You might also try underinflating it a bit and pounding it hard. The hard hand and wood contact may help flatten the seams also.

Originally posted by Teetu
    ... I know some of you guys recommend the title bags, but I was wondering if these newer everlast professional speed bags are any good and whether or not the tubing is also a nuisance. http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...peed-bags.html I liked the way the everlast bags look vs the title ones.
    I've hit a few of these. They're OK. I like the black 8x5 and the 9x6. But I don't think they rebound as well as the Title versions.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

For what it's worth, I much prefer the Everlast bags over the Title bags because Everlast has a stronger short loop. I have a couple of Title bags and a couple Everlast bags and overall, I like the workmanship of the Everlast bags better.

As has been said before, the welts will pound flat. After working the bags for a while, you'll start to compensate or get used to the bag. Shortly after that, you'll notice the welts have been beaten flat.

Comment

• Teetu
        • Aug 2006

I went ahead and ordered a title bag last night to give them a try. I figure in the long run I'll end up with an assortment of sizes, so I might as well find out which brands I prefer.

It is extremely frustrating breaking this bag in because I made a lot of progress on my old 8X13 bag- and I can't transfer that over to the new bag because after a few rebounds it goes wild. Just to make sure it wasn't my fault, I hooked up my old bag and I was doing 10X better (although now I truly appreciate the short fat bags versus the longer/narrower ones).

Is title owned by everlast? It seems like their websites are identical, and their stuff ships from the exact same address.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

I think you're looking at Everlast bags on Title's site. The Everlast site is www.everlastboxing.com. Here's a link to the Everlast bags that I prefer:http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...peed-bags.html

The pro speedbags have flat welts that beat down pretty quickly. The high-performance bags have a raised welt that takes a while to beat down, and they are at this site: http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...speed-bag.html

I like that you can choose colors that you want for the professional style bags. I ordered different colors so it makes identification easy. I switch sizes frequently and I have them hanging from hooks on the ceiling in my garage. My outdoor bag is on the back of my garage and when I can quickly grab the exact bag I want since they're sorted by size and color.

Yes, I know, I'm a little anal about things, maybe the Army did that to me : )
          Last edited by Chris M; 08-16-2006, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Teetu
            • Aug 2006

thanks Chris- thats exactly what I needed to know about the everlast models. I really like their black and gold colored ones, and will probably order one of those next since I messed up my 9X6 by taking the bladder out (seems impossible to get back in).

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

I made a correction to my links to Everlast bags above. Both links went to the same spot. They should be correct now.

Comment

• Teetu
                • Aug 2006

My everlast 4213 is starting to break in, but it's still frustrating as a beginner to have the bag bounce erratically at times.

But I think it actually helped me because I got my title bag in today and was immediately hitting 10X better than I was hitting the everlast bag. I know what you're saying Chris about the construction of the title bags; it's not as "heavy duty" as the everlast bags. But the good thing about it was it didn't require any break in period and I was immediately able to go to town on it. The loop on the title wasn't that big, so either I got lucky or it varies size to size. The one thing I'll say for the everlast bag is that it has a shorter/fatter shape than the title bag.

I'm going to post a video up soon so you guys can tell me what to do. As for bag size I don't really see myself getting anything smaller than a 10X7

What I meant by title and everlast shipping from the same place, they both are listed on their respective sites (titleboxing.com and everlastboxing.com) as being located in lenexa kansas at the same exact street address
                Last edited by Teetu; 08-16-2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

I never noticed or paid attention to the locations of the two companies, but from what you say it sounds like your right.

If anyone could give us the scoop, I'm sure it's speedbag on the board here. I do know that Everlast was originally in New York and they sold out to another company several years back.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Titleboxing & Everlast

Originally posted by Chris M
                    I never noticed or paid attention to the locations of the two companies, but from what you say it sounds like your right.

If anyone could give us the scoop, I'm sure it's speedbag on the board here. I do know that Everlast was originally in New York and they sold out to another company several years back.
                    Everlast Worldwide Inc is it's own company, and gives permission to licensees to sell whatever products that licensee choses to sell. That includes it's name, licensed apparel, equipment (boxing, fitness, etc.) and all other things everlast.

If you notice here EverlastBoxing.com goes to a page with a titleboxing contact page. That tells me that Titleboxing has the rights to sell equipment under the Everlast"boxing" name, and as part of that gets the link from the home Everlast Worldwide site. It also appears that part of that agreement also includes running a dedicated "everlastboxing" website for Everlast.

Of course, TitleBoxing.com has it's own line of products, as well as the licensee for other licensed products, such Everlast, Tufwear, Promex and others. Note the logo's across the top, as well as the listings on the lower left menu.

Title and Everlast are not the same company.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Kinda funny - ringside's mailing address is Lenexa KS as well ... hmmmm ....

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

Now I'm more confused than ever. Why does Title list the platinum pro swivel for $39.95 http://store.titleboxing.com/title-p...ro-swivel.html and Everlast lists it for $49.95? http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...ty-swivel.html

I'm really confused now, especially in light of Tim's comment.

Maybe the Kansas address is just a distribution warehouse for all three companies since it's centrally located?

Comment

• Tim
                          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I should clarify that the Ringside address, while in the same town, is a different street address.

I think maybe either Title or Ringside was there first and an employee split off to start the other (Title or Rinside not sure) ... and then when the internet boom hit, Everlast simply outsourced their order fullfillment to somebody who already had the infrastructure (i.e. Title).

This is all speculation on my part, I have no inside knowledge of any sort.

In regards to the difference between the Title and Everlast swivel price, it's not uncommon for the manufacturer to have a high price, since frequently they are more interested in bulk orders to distributors like Title...

Comment

• Chris M
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim
                            I should clarify that the Ringside address, while in the same town, is a different street address.

I think maybe either Title or Ringside was there first and an employee split off to start the other (Title or Rinside not sure) ... and then when the internet boom hit, Everlast simply outsourced their order fullfillment to somebody who already had the infrastructure (i.e. Title).

This is all speculation on my part, I have no inside knowledge of any sort.

In regards to the difference between the Title and Everlast swivel price, it's not uncommon for the manufacturer to have a high price, since frequently they are more interested in bulk orders to distributors like Title...
                            I know what you mean by the manufacturer not selling lower than their retailers, but I really doubt that Everlast makes those swivels. I only pointed out the price difference as a way to illustrate that they are not the same company.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag

Tim is correct in that Ringside was established first. and they were a major U.S. competitor to Everlast. Everlast pretty much dominated the retail end and Ringside was predominantly mail order. Ringside produces some of it's own "brand" products. Notice Ringside and Everlast do NOT carry, promote or sell each others products.

Titleboxing was created by former Ringside personnel. Notice, they are in the same town. Title produces some of it's own "brand" products. Also, Notice Ringside and Title do NOT carry, promote or sell each others products.

Almost anything with the Everlast brand name will cost more than it's competitors. Swivels are no exception.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...