SPEED B.A.G. II - what kind of activities do you want to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
    I'll also have Toolbox's Speedbag Truck to do some baggin outside
    I'm down with that!
    sigpic

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Bag Swap?

How about a bag swap:
      If anyone has a new or lightly used bag that they don't really use, or may have multiples of, they can put it into a pool, and take a different bag from that same pool. Kinda like the "Take a Penny, Leave a Penny" tray at gas stations. To keep things fair, each bag can be designated as "Gold ($50 and up), Silver ($35-50), or Bronze(Under $35)". Value of the bag can be decided by a panel of gurus. That way everybody who participates in the swap should come away with a bag of comparable value. This system can be tweaked as necessary, in the interest of a "more perfect" convention.

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

For contest purposes, can we get ahold of a punch counting platform. There might be some record setting punching going on. I know I saw the video before but cant find it now. If not slow motion counting. There could be so many different divisions on age, punching style, time limit
        The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
          For contest purposes, can we get ahold of a punch counting platform. There might be some record setting punching going on. I know I saw the video before but cant find it now. If not slow motion counting. There could be so many different divisions on age, punching style, time limit
          I've seen that video too. Hell yeah, that would be TIGHT!
          sigpic

Comment

• sparrky37
            • Jan 2010

I can definately say, spending more time with the guys here in St. Louis would of been great! I was just so busy, and tired the whole time I didn't get a chance to have a chance to just relax, and hang! So thats my plan in Jersey is just to relax, and hang out.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
              I can definately say, spending more time with the guys here in St. Louis would of been great! I was just so busy, and tired the whole time I didn't get a chance to have a chance to just relax, and hang! So thats my plan in Jersey is just to relax, and hang out.
              Haha, I felt the same way at SPEED B.A.G. 2010. The time FLEW by...

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
              I tried to get Jim Bradley to donate one last year. Never heard back. It's a pretty $$$$ piece of kit so I don't expect we'll have one this year either. I'm not convinced it would work perfectly for our style of punching, but you never know until you try...

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
              How about a bag swap:
              If anyone has a new or lightly used bag that they don't really use, or may have multiples of, they can put it into a pool, and take a different bag from that same pool. Kinda like the "Take a Penny, Leave a Penny" tray at gas stations. To keep things fair, each bag can be designated as "Gold ($50 and up), Silver ($35-50), or Bronze(Under $35)". Value of the bag can be decided by a panel of gurus. That way everybody who participates in the swap should come away with a bag of comparable value. This system can be tweaked as necessary, in the interest of a "more perfect" convention.
              Yes, we can definitely do this.

I'll also have Toolbox's Speedbag Truck to do some baggin outside
              That would be great!!!! Last year we had the 4'x4'x8' rack outside, but it didn't see much use. So this year, it'll be in the back room as a punch drum lesson area. That will leave us with no outdoor bag... so the truck would be GREAT!!!!

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Right after SB-I Ronnie and I had an email stream about getting a local sponsor to get or have a big boat/Pontoon and have a night of "baggin' on the bay". Going out into the bay and having a portable bag on the boat. That could be a cool community news story. Not only does keyport have the largest gathering of baggers, but these folks take their bags onto the boat for night of Boat baggin' or baggin' on the bay. That would be a cool video, someone rippin' the bag by the light of the moon over water, and the term kinda flows off the tongue. News and radio people love it. Maybe have a radio remote from the boat, LIVE baggin' on keyport bay. Come on down. Meet the baggers and take a boat ride... Maybe a radio station would see that as a new and exciting promo and the boat pier could use the advertisement. Hmmmm

I still like the idea, and much like the small but growing band of speed bag trucker's there may also be a sub-group of speed bag boaters.

the obsession continues...
                Last edited by Speedbag; 02-11-2011, 09:33 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  That would be great!!!! Last year we had the 4'x4'x8' rack outside, but it didn't see much use. So this year, it'll be in the back room as a punch drum lesson area. That will leave us with no outdoor bag... so the truck would be GREAT!!!!
                  Saqve me a spot on friday and I will be there with the truck

Comment

• Biff
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Tim - how about something like "Last Bagger, Bagging." Each bagger is assigned a number. First person starts with one combo, say O-TES, everyone does it (those that miss are out), then the next person adds to the combo, say double pass through and RDP, so then everyone has to do O-TES (double pass through to a) RDP, third person adds to the routine, and everyone attempts it. Winner is the last bagger able to do the final sequence without mis-hitting. Speed doesn't need to count, only one's ability to complete the routine successfully. We should have enough boards at varying heights so that there is minimal, or no, adjustments needed.

Just a thought. [This could get real interesting if done after lunch and a few adult beverages!!!!]

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                      Tim - how about something like "Last Bagger, Bagging." Each bagger is assigned a number. First person starts with one combo, say O-TES, everyone does it (those that miss are out), then the next person adds to the combo, say double pass through and RDP, so then everyone has to do O-TES (double pass through to a) RDP, third person adds to the routine, and everyone attempts it. Winner is the last bagger able to do the final sequence without mis-hitting. Speed doesn't need to count, only one's ability to complete the routine successfully. We should have enough boards at varying heights so that there is minimal, or no, adjustments needed.

Just a thought. [This could get real interesting if done after lunch and a few adult beverages!!!!]
                      I like it! Cool way to add one skill at a time and see who can keep up.

However....

I suggest having a "tier" of levels, only because there are a few of us that could throw a few new combinations that are difficult to understand, let alone do.

Imagine SKUNK going second and throwing his Skunky Roll, or the (O-I 4way ES) ' (O-I 4way ES), both of which he has completely mastered, and walking off...

The list would get short quick.

I'd also suggest each person gets two or three attempts to complete it. Kinda like pole vault and long jump. It's not one and done. After 5 or 6 techniques the combination could get pretty long to remember IF you were thinking about having each one added on to the next in a non-stop fashion.

As each technique is added, I will write it down. for instance, what you wrote.

"First person starts with one combo, say O-TES"

= (O-TES) ' ' ' (O-TES)

"then the next person adds to the combo, say double pass through and RDP, so then everyone has to do O-TES (double pass through to a) RDP"

= (O-TES) ' ' ' (O-TES) ' ' (RDP) ' 'or ' ' ' .... (here it could be two rebounds to return to the fists to the front, or three rebounds to do another reverse technique. the next person might do (RDP) ' ' ' (R-Roll).

But it's a great idea.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        I like it! Cool way to add one skill at a time and see who can keep up.

However....

I suggest having a "tier" of levels.
                        , only because there are a few of us that could throw a few new combinations that are difficult to understand, let alone do.......

I'd also suggest each person gets two or three attempts to complete it. Kinda like pole vault and long jump. It's not one and done. After 5 or 6 techniques the combination could get pretty long to remember IF you were thinking about having each one added on to the next in a non-stop fashion.

"First person starts with one combo, say O-TES"

= (O-TES) ' ' ' (O-TES)

"then the next person adds to the combo, say double pass through and RDP, so then everyone has to do O-TES (double pass through to a) RDP"

= (O-TES) ' ' ' (O-TES) ' ' (RDP) ' 'or ' ' ' .... (here it could be two rebounds to return to the fists to the front, or three rebounds to do another reverse technique. the next person might do (RDP) ' ' ' (R-Roll).

But it's a great idea.
                        You're always thinking, AK. That sounds like a great way to do it.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I'd like to see all baggers get a crack at a few songs for Punch Drumming. We all hit to a few songs "individually", and this could be mixed into one song having all the baggers hitting to it. Kinda like what "playing for change" did with one love

Actually we could all do this NOW on the forum by all hitting to the same song, all posting that video and then having someone get all those clips and mix them into one version, fading from bagger to bagger hitting at their home. The key is NO background noise because the only audio should be the music and bag.

But for the gathering, each bagger could suggest a couple of their favorite songs NOW for everyone to work on, so when we get there they have had a chance to practice. Having everyone suggest a couple of songs will let also allow all tastes of music to be expressed, as well as speeds - for not everyone can hit well to faster songs. All you have to do is suggest a few songs that everyone can practice to and then we could each hit to it at the gathering.

I know of few of us can hit immediately to any song (improvised) but that puts a lot of pressure on those struggling to "get it" and mix their bag beat with music. I like songs that have a word relationship to the bag or perhaps double meaning. That is why I hit to songs like "it's a beautiful noise" by Neil Diamond. There are lots of those that are meaningful for the bag. So here are a few

We got the beat, by the Go Go's. (my personal suggestion for a group effort. The name says it all...) Nice slow basic rhythm punching or fast syncopated combinations. I suggest 8x5 or smaller for the syncopated.

I like this for a group song because the title includes everyone, WE got the beat, as opposed to my next favorite below.

Another is I can feel the beat by Darude: Medium Basic Rhythm and a bit faster syncopated combinations on an 8x5

Another awesome tune for this would be Contrast, by 2unlimited. The verse is "There's no limitation to what this beat can do...." Perfect for baggers. Medium speed punching in either Basic Rhythm or Syncopated cominations on 8x5. go to 9x6 for more challenging workout or smaller 7/6x4 for easier time.

Micheal Jackson: Beat it: Slow or double time Basic Rhythm punching. Medium/fast speed syncopated rhythms, depending on bag size. I suggest 8x5 or smaller.

Don't stop till you get enough by MJ. Slow or FAST Basic Rhythm punching. Medium speed Syncopated punching on 8x5. slower on smaller bag, faster on 9x6.

The Rhythm's gonna get you by Gloria Estefan. Slow or Fast Basic Rhythm. Medium Syncopated combinations.

Turn the beat around by Vicki Sue Robinson: Slow or Fast Basic Rhythm Punching, Medium speed syncopated combinations on an 8x5. I've hit to this song about a million times and it's a lot of fun doing echo combinations to it, turning the same beat around the bag.

Bang A Drum by Todd Rundgren: Slow/medium Basic Rhythm punching. Medium/Fast syncopated punching depending on bag size.

Baby Work out by Jackie Wilson. Pretty much a bouncy basic rhythm punching. medium/fast syncopated combinations. Basic Rhythm sounds better.

For the Rock Crowd, here's a few: ( I'm sure MetalDad can throw in a few..)

Living the Life by Steel Dragon. Slow/medium Basic Rhythm punching, Fast syncopated combinations. We could dedicate this to our missing member, Sir Briian Tichy who will be overseas touring with Whitesnake - Living the life he was born to live, no doubt. Otherwise, he'd be all over this one in Keyport. In fact, he could add footage hitting to this from somewhere in the speed bag truck, as well as some awesome footage for the song below.

BURN by Whitesnake: Medium basic rhythm punching, either slow syncopated combinations, or fast syncopated but by fast I mean 6x4 Skunk level fast. It will KYA, trust me.

and just for fun, everybody takes a turn out
                          Wipe Out, letting the drummer have a few measures, then the bag kicks in to keep up in syncopated rhythms. carefull.... it's faster than you think.

I know there are a gazillion more songs that could be used. Anyway, just an idea. But the secret is, unfortunately - when each bagger is hitting to the chosen song, the others have to be quiet. It ruins the rhythm of the single bagger to have 5 others pounding off or on beat in the background, and each punch drummer needs to have the bag set on the swivel of his/her choice.

I know the obvious idea is to play the song and have 5 or 6 punchers at the same time, but if everyone is punching differently it is hard to focus on what you're doing and the music. Maybe that is just my problem, but outside noise to me ruins the effect. And sure, we can do it that way for fun.

Another one I like is an old skool Hardcore tune: Forbidden Planet by Jem 77. I like the way the only words are: "Spirit of Life" wrapped in a fast and funky beat. To me the bag, the rhythm and the mastering it - is the spirit of life. Philosophical perhaps but it works for me and I have several mixes of this tune with I can feel the beat and Feel the Fury by NRG, another hardcore tune that fits the fury of full out speed bag punching.

I'll leave it with ToolBoxDiver's truck outside under a clear night sky: A lone bagger, then several changing places hitting to:
                          Rhythm of the night. by Debarge (old and dated song, however the meaning will be obvious) Imagine, A crowd behind having a great time. Tim and MetalDads kids dancing with some of us....
                          it's an easy song to hit to. We could work out a few bagger changes into the song, so one bagger punches out and another punches in with little rhythmic change. That would be a cool video showing the fun, spirit and brotherhood of the baggin' community, jammin' to the rhythm of the night. Also could use footage from the bay baggin' if that happens.
                          Last edited by Speedbag; 02-13-2011, 03:38 PM.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Right after SB-I Ronnie and I had an email stream about getting a local sponsor to get or have a big boat/Pontoon and have a night of "baggin' on the bay". Going out into the bay and having a portable bag on the boat.
                            That could work easily. The 4' x 4' rack should fit on any decent sized pontoon boat. Finding the sponsor would be the most work.

Saqve me a spot on friday and I will be there with the truck
                            You got it man. I'll likely be there early (every day) and will snag a parking spot up front. Outdoor baggin' at the truck

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                            Good , I like it. That does sound like a lot of fun.

I suggest having a "tier" of levels, only because there are a few of us that could throw a few new combinations that are difficult to understand, let alone do.

Imagine SKUNK going second and throwing his Skunky Roll, or the (O-I 4way ES) ' (O-I 4way ES), both of which he has completely mastered, and walking off...

The list would get short quick.

Yeah, definitely need to allow multiple attempts.

I can bring a white board/dry erase board, or we can write on paper. It would be a good way to reinforce the baggin' notation.

I'd like to see all baggers get a crack at a few songs for Punch Drumming. We all hit to a few songs "individually", and this could be mixed into one song having all the baggers hitting to it. Kinda like what "playing for change" did with one love
                            Yeah! We definitely need to do this.

I know of few of us can hit immediately to any song (improvised) but that puts a lot of pressure on those struggling to "get it" and mix their bag beat with music. I like songs that have a word relationship to the bag or perhaps double meaning. That is why I hit to songs like "it's a beautiful noise" by Neil Diamond. There are lots of those that are meaningful for the bag. So here are a few

We got the beat, by the Go Go's. (my personal suggestion for a group effort. The name says it all...) Nice slow basic rhythm punching or fast syncopated combinations. I suggest 8x5 or smaller for the syncopated.
                            Why don't we just call that (all of those listed above) the official playlist of SPEED B.A.G. II? We only have 4 months, so we should make sure people start practicing now....

All great ideas, keep them comin'

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

AK, this would be a cool video, fading from bagger to bagger on the same song. I think Tim suggested setting up a board in one of the back rooms. Each person could do a closed session.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                                AK, this would be a cool video, fading from bagger to bagger on the same song. I think Tim suggested setting up a board in one of the back rooms. Each person could do a closed session.
                                Yeah, that's a good idea. Every bagger, particularly the Punchdrummers, ( Nova, Dee etc.) should suggest at least one song they want to do and let the rest of us work on it. I know you were Punchdrumming also, aren't you?
                                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...