SPEED B.A.G. II - what kind of activities do you want to see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Every bagger, particularly the Punchdrummers, ( Nova, Dee etc.) should suggest at least one song they want to do and let the rest of us work on it. I know you were Punchdrumming also, aren't you?
    Great idea Alan! Can I suggest these two?

sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
      Great idea Alan! Can I suggest these two?
      No problem by me. Be ready to punch 'em up, MD.

Pretty slow syncopated combo's at normal speed. My head tells me a 9x6 will work fine or back off on an 8x5. Probably need an 8x5 to make the jump to double time in Syncopated's.

A little faster for both. Probably an 8x5 bag. Kinda slow Basic Rhythm punching in straight time or Pretty quick if you can make the jump to Double time but I'm betting most can handle it. I'm betting Nova could feast on it because it could use a lot of Double Punching.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

I just tried "The Sound Of Madness". Man I got some work to do!!
        sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I just tried "The Sound Of Madness". Man I got some work to do!!
          If you count it on the very heavy definite beats it is a slow 4 and you can use the slow/medium syncopated rhythms such as 5-1, 3-3, single fist pass through to Double Punch, etc.

If you count the song as double time, 8 quick beats to a measure, you can use a fast basic rhythm punching to it.

don't over think it MD. Feel the beat, work the bag beat in your head until you really feel it, then let your hands follow. You got the bag skills, just let the rhythm be your guide.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PIEFURZ
            Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Yeah, that's a good idea. Every bagger, particularly the Punchdrummers, ( Nova, Dee etc.) should suggest at least one song they want to do and let the rest of us work on it. I know you were Punchdrumming also, aren't you?
            I think the idea was to have the room for punchdrumming lessons. Anyway, I'm sure you know a song that even us bassic baggers could keep a beat to. KISS, keep it simple, for anyone who would like to be in the vid. People who unfortunatly can't attend this year like BT could post a vid in advance. May be good to have the punchdrummers start this off now and creat a demo. If you could post a song with and without punching. To bad we don't have a multi track recording studio. Will be interesting to pull this off with basic software although members are making some creative vids.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Punch Drumming to Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean"

An emphatic YES! I'd like to suggest Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean." Okay, so I just downloaded the song after re-watching Alan's version as well as Roc Stone's.

This song is perfect for punching along to. That BEAT! How can you NOT move when the song opens... It starts out slow, so you can start with a simple punch, then as the song picks up, one can add whatever combo fits. I'd like to discuss this further... but, I've got it on my ipod right now... gotta go punch.

Oh, and it's a fat-burner at nearly 5 minutes in length.

(Hmmm,*eureka* ...how about an Endurance Contest. Continuous punching Challenge, allowing maybe 3 mess-ups in a 5-minute long song (freestyle, of course), then you're out...). Two or three contestants as a time, in Rounds, or something. I'm not sure how it would work, but you get the idea...

Last (wo)man standing kinda thing...

I live to bag...
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

OK, Punch Drummers:

So far we have:

We got the beat by the GoGo’s (AK)
                I can feel the Beat by Darude ( AK)
                Son of Madness by Shine down (Metal Dad)
                Sin with a Grin by Shine down (Metal Dad)
                Billy Jean by Michael Jackson (Dee)

Calling Super "Nova"....
                Hey Baggist, you out there??
                Hey Rocstone, you still Roc'in? got a tune?
                Spinsmashpop, ?? got a suggestion?

Doesn't matter if you WON'T be there. any other suggestions?
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2008

gotta add a endurance Freebird Skunk is the only one I've ever seen last this one

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                    gotta add a endurance Freebird Skunk is the only one I've ever seen last this one
                    FreeBird is a great song for punch drumming. Slow beginning. It really doesn't get hairy until 4:38 and stays pretty fast until end at 8:58. That's 4min 20seconds of screaming and if you ain't ready for it Freebird will leave you a dead bird before the end.

(* secret: On this one you can drop down from the faster syncopated combinations to a quick basic punching pattern. It is still pretty quick but not nearly as fast at the syncopated combinations)
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

If you count it on the very heavy definite beats it is a slow 4 and you can use the slow/medium syncopated rhythms such as 5-1, 3-3, single fist pass through to Double Punch, etc.

If you count the song as double time, 8 quick beats to a measure, you can use a fast basic rhythm punching to it.

don't over think it MD. Feel the beat, work the bag beat in your head until you really feel it, then let your hands follow. You got the bag skills, just let the rhythm be your guide.
                      I actually moved back up to the 10x7 for "The Sound of Madness"
                      FreeBird is a great song for punch drumming. Slow beginning. It really doesn't get hairy until 4:38 and stays pretty fast until end at 8:58. That's 4min 20seconds of screaming and if you ain't ready for it Freebird will leave you a dead bird before the end.

(* secret: On this one you can drop down from the faster syncopated combinations to a quick basic punching pattern. It is still pretty quick but not nearly as fast at the syncopated combinations)
                      Now I gotta find some Skynard.......
                      sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I actually moved back up to the 10x7 for "The Sound of Madness"

Now I gotta find some Skynard.......
                        Yes one way to make it more fun to punch drum to slower music is use a larger, slower bag. You have to adapt the bag, equipment and your punching style to the music. The music is immortal and plays consistent each time - Sometimes.

Actually, you CAN speed up or slow down a song. I have sped up versions of several songs because I love the groove of the songs but their a bit slow and more fun to hit to if they are sped up. You can also learn to hit to a faster song by slowing it down a bit. Works great on a song like "William Tell" (the Lone Ranger), which is screaming fast. Sure hitting to it at normal speed is a goal to shoot for, but you can slow it down to work your combinations.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

MD and I are gonna have "MetalDad's and Tim's Heavy Metal Jam". 1 hour of non-stop metal to bag to. We'll do it after hours, but not too late...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            MD and I are gonna have "MetalDad's and Tim's Heavy Metal Jam". 1 hour of non-stop metal to bag to. We'll do it after hours, but not too late...
                            Get Donnie to alert the Keyport Police, just in case....

Last edited by Speedbag; 04-06-2011, 08:36 PM.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              Add some Sabbath and I'm in for that

Comment

• Tim
                                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                                Add some Sabbath and I'm in for that
                                Roger... give me some song or album names and I'll make sure they get on the playlist.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...