• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Obeid
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2007

Newbie question

Hi, I bought a 7-in one boxing station that includes a speedbag.

The bag that came with the station is large and almost spherical.

I can use the speed bag with the "basic" 3 beat pattern, but am having trouble increasing speed. Is this because my technique isn't good enough, or because I need a different/better bag?

As a fellow newbie I have realized that there are 4 factors to becoming better.

1. A good bag. I started with a 10x7 tko bag, probably similar to your set up. I had the same problem of not being able to increase speed. I bought a rival 8x5 ($30) and just by doing that I increased my speed.

2. A good platform. I kept the plateform that came in the package, and simply weighed it down with some sandbags (~$4) to reduce vibrations.

3. A short swivel. I replaced the package swivel with a boxing gear ball hook swivel ($23). (I replaced the eye hook and S hook to make the rebound shorter, I will posted pictures someday...). This made the biggest difference of all. Definatly my best investment for my setup.

4. Most important of all....PRACTICE! after doing the previous three things it allowed me to really increase my speed and accuracy. Keep Going!

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Obeid View Post
      I can use the speed bag with the "basic" 3 beat pattern, but am having trouble increasing speed. Is this because my technique isn't good enough, or because I need a different/better bag?
      Can you post video? Hard to critique your technique unless we see and hear it.

Comment

• David Obeid
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Can you post video? Hard to critique your technique unless we see and hear it.
        I don't have a video camera.

I'll see if I can have a go at another bag somewhere and see if that helps.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

It's probably not the bag so much as the platform that is holding you back. Most freestanding units have a chronic vibration problem due to using a single post for support. I have seen some that utilize two, but because of the way they are designed it doesn't reduce the vibration significantly. On a lot of these setups the drum is made of thin particle board, which adds to the vibration. As has been suggested adding weight can cut down the amount of vibration. You can also add thickness to the drum by layering plywood circles that you can find at home improvement stores.
          In a nutshell, once you get the vibration issue under control, then you can determine when it's time to go to a smaller bag.

Comment

• David Obeid
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            It's probably not the bag so much as the platform that is holding you back. Most freestanding units have a chronic vibration problem due to using a single post for support. I have seen some that utilize two, but because of the way they are designed it doesn't reduce the vibration significantly. On a lot of these setups the drum is made of thin particle board, which adds to the vibration. As has been suggested adding weight can cut down the amount of vibration. You can also add thickness to the drum by layering plywood circles that you can find at home improvement stores.
            In a nutshell, once you get the vibration issue under control, then you can determine when it's time to go to a smaller bag.

I'll look into getting a more solid board. There's not a lot I can do about the stability of the frame (although it does seem pretty solid - I do pull ups on it).

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by David Obeid View Post
              Hi, I bought a 7-in one boxing station that includes a speedbag.

The bag that came with the station is large and almost spherical.

Welcome Dave,

It depends if Your 7-1 station is a freestanding frame. They are shaky. I suspect the frame before blaming the bag, but like Tim says, a video would be easier than trying to guess a reason.

try to get the board and frame steady.
              good luck and let us know.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...