• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

New equipment coming!

Well I have been wanting a better platform than the Everlast adjustable and with a little talk with the old lady, and some income tax refund money, I just ordered a First Rate Boxing platform. Since this is going in my entertainment room along with a small bar, the old lady said she thought this looked nice enough to go along with the decor. I also told her it should be quieter than my Everlast which even with 30 pounds of sand on top still has some reverberation.

I also fixed up an old platform at work by tightening up some bolts, gave them my Everlast Elite 10 by 7, but got in return an old Everlast 4410. The 4410 is gonna need to be cleaned, conditioned and a new bladder, but it is in excellent condition!

The First Rate platform while pricey will give a finishing touch to my bar area and give it a nice mancave look. I will have pictures once it's up and a review in the review section.

Man this speed bagging is addictive. And with a platform at one station at work, and the possibility of throwing up my Everlast adjustable at another station, I will be able to bag all the time.

I also got a Deville Swivel and a Cleto Reyes Medium bag for the new platform for the finishing touches.
    Attached Files
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Very cool!
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• JoMan
      • Nov 2016

Awesome!

Comment

• timcable
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2017

I just ordered a Cleto speedbag also. cannot decide which swivel to purchase. Have sent messages to deville and jumpcannon both and get no replies from either one. May go with Everlast Pro swivel.

Comment

• Old Red
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2017

Big Brown is scheduled to bring me a Balazs platform on Monday. The basement wall it's going on is sheathed with foam insulation and halfway covered with stud framework. Guess I better get busy this weekend and get the rest of the wood and some sheetrock up.

Comment

• jaja6009
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Old Red View Post
            Big Brown is scheduled to bring me a Balazs platform on Monday. The basement wall it's going on is sheathed with foam insulation and halfway covered with stud framework. Guess I better get busy this weekend and get the rest of the wood and some sheetrock up.
            I got some work to get done too to get my platform up. I have to wait until a friend and I both have the same day off. The Firstrate platform is way too heavy for me to hang alone. Good luck.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by timcable View Post
              I just ordered a Cleto speedbag also. cannot decide which swivel to purchase. Have sent messages to deville and jumpcannon both and get no replies from either one. May go with Everlast Pro swivel.
              You're not likely to get a response from Jumpcannon right away, he works for a railroad and is out on runs most of the time. I don't think that he's produced any swivels in a while. As far as the DeVille can't tell you anything, as she seems to have gone on a walkabout (as our Aussie friends say) but apparently there is at least one retailer still selling the swivel.

Comment

• jaja6009
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2016

Well the First Rate platform is up!

It was heavy and my friend came to help. But it is up and overall impressions are mixed. It looks incredible, and there is no vibration whatsoever. But it still has the reverberation of any platform without sandbags on top. I was hoping the large aluminum disk would solve that, but it only does somewhat. I did some tests with sandbags and without, and the sandbags do make a difference.

Here's a pic.

I will have a full review after some time hitting on it.

I also put a Deville swivel on it, and the Deville is really good! Very smooth.
                Attached Files

Comment

• southtexaskevin 2.0
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2016

Looks great

Comment

• Old Red
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2017

Looks good. I assume it's lagged to studs on 16" centers. Did you brace the studs at all?

Comment

• jaja6009
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Old Red View Post
                      Looks good. I assume it's lagged to studs on 16" centers. Did you brace the studs at all?
                      Yeah it's lagged onto the studs with six 1/2" lags. The picture behind it is posted onto a 3/4 piece of maple plywood, and the plywood is lagged to 4 studs.
                      But I am having some serious reverberation issues. Even sandbags on top are not fixing it. I am thinking that the plywood is to blame. I hate to have to do it, but I might have to take down the plywood. My dad's contractor friend is coming over to give some advice. He wants to open up the sheetrock and reinforce the area inside with thicker wood to lag into. I might even have the platform base have a cutout in the sheetrock to get lagged into whatever reinforced wood he puts in there. I live in a townhouse, and I do not want to bother my neighbors. I hope it doesn't come to that but as it is it's too loud and the plywood seems to be the culprit. I'll post back what he comes up with. I was even thinking about two small steel beams vertically in the wall to mount the platform to.

If anyone has any advice throw it out there, since I will have the wall opened up I can do a lot of different things. But I will miss my Ali, Patterson picture though.

Comment

• Old Red
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                        I would think that the sheet rock is part of the problem . . .
                        This. The plywood should bridge the studs together but the sheetrock underneath might give enough to be the problem.

Comment

• Lee Chapman
                          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          You're not likely to get a response from Jumpcannon right away, he works for a railroad and is out on runs most of the time. I don't think that he's produced any swivels in a while. As far as the DeVille can't tell you anything, as she seems to have gone on a walkabout (as our Aussie friends say) but apparently there is at least one retailer still selling the swivel.
                          Hi

What vendor is selling the deville. Having a hard time getting hold of one.

Cheers
                          L
                          If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
                          So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

Comment

• jaja6009
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Lee Chapman View Post
                            Hi

What vendor is selling the deville. Having a hard time getting hold of one.

Cheers
                            L
                            Speedshack.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...