• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

The Rusty tip

I wanted a thread where I could collect dumb little tips as I come across them. Here is one, to protect your knuckles while bare hand bagging, try Musher's Secret.

Its kinda funny and fun. My knuckles have no callouses and are baby smooth.

-Rusty

@ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Interesting. I'm reading Musher's is mainly wax and O'Keeffe's is mainly glycerin. I wonder which product is better for the speed bag leather?

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

I understand. But what you put on your hands while bareknuckle bagging, its on the bag. Pounded into it actually.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Another tip.

To keep the bag from flying off my swivel S-hook, I use a simple 1/4" nylon cap. These are sold as various products, thread protectors, r/c joystick caps, etc. Now it may not do exactly what tying or taping the loop does if the bag jumps up, but it is a cheap and simple way to be able to quickly swap bags and keep them on the hook.

-Rusty

@ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

no comment....
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
            no comment....
            Your comment made no sense to me.

-Rusty
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by ventanakaz
              Your kinda over thinking it, I don't put it on my hands just before I hit the bag, I only put on my hands if they start to dry out or start to crack, and that's mostly because of the type of work I do, I'm a flooring installer, Been doing it for 34 years. Even if there is some residue left over on my knuckles, Trust me it's not gonna hurt the bag
              I think you are missing the point of my tip. The point of Musher's Secret is to put it on the paws before a run. Its like an invisible boot protecting the paws. I keep a can by the speedbag and put some on right before hitting if I'm going gloveless. It's not a healing lotion like O'Keeffe's.
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

Come to think of it, if anyone is going to try the Musher's Secret, maybe wait a while until I can report back how compatible it is with the speedbag leathers. I have not been using it very long. My Balazs Lazer is getting shiny, though.

-Rusty
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                  Hey rusty, someone beat you to that tip of keeping the bag on the hook, Member Dee, With the swivels she and Raul make, She provides those with her swivel to help keep the bag on
                  I'm quite sure that tip is not original by me. It was for me, but I do recall seeing a pic somewhere with an S-hook with a white cap. Probably here. So, for the record, I recommend the previous idea as the greatest dumb little idea in a long time.

Rusty tips are not great, just the tip.
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                    My knuckles have no callouses and are baby smooth.

-Rusty
                    I prefer to have my ladies hands baby smooth...not mine.

In the beginning, I hit till my knuckles bled. Now they don't, never have to worry about wearing gloves again. My hands aren't calloused, just toughened them up!

Didn't want to cause an uproar...to each their own...thus the "no comment".
                    I have been known to use leather conditioner on my bags though!

Comment

• rdshackleford
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2016

OK, you said leather conditioner on the bags and Ralph said mink oil paste. Is it a commonly accepted practice to treat leather speed bags periodically? I suppose the answer depends on the particular bag and the coating/paint on the bag.

-Rusty
                      @ArcSwivel
                      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

Your comment made no sense to me.

-Rusty
                        Somehow at the time this sounded ironically funny to me (in my head). My bad, Zaza.

-Rusty
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Somehow at the time this sounded ironically funny to me (in my head). My bad, Zaza.

-Rusty
                          Not a problem... I use a leather conditioner that I also use on my leather furniture. Usually just once on the good leather bags so they don't crack. I haven't used it in quite awhile. I'm in the northeast and it's the winters that it gets dry inside.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

Here is another tip for my tip jar. This is not an original idea. Well it was for me and then I searched and found a very similar idea posted by Chris M in 2006.

I love my big bad blue Title 10x12 bag except for the long loop and the dead bladder. I replaced the black bladder with an orange latex one and it was much improved. Today I had a stitch put into the loop to make the swing shorter and faster. Now I am cooking with gas.

I can hook it on the original loop, or hook it shorter under the new stitching and make it faster.

I don't know what it is about this big dumb blue bag that I like so much. It's a fixer-upper for sure. Lots of fun to punch.

-Rusty
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Oct 2016

Here is another tip for my tip jar. This is not an original idea. Well it was for me and then I searched and found a very similar idea posted by Chris M in 2006.

I love my big bad blue Title 10x12 bag except for the long loop and the dead bladder. I replaced the black bladder with an orange latex one and it was much improved. Today I had a stitch put into the loop to make the swing shorter and faster. Now I am cooking with gas.

I can hook it on the original loop, or hook it shorter under the new stitching and make it faster.

I don't know what it is about this big dumb blue bag that I like so much. It's a fixer-upper for sure. Lots of fun to punch.

-Rusty
                              So far, so good. The lower loop level adds a nice bit of speed to that big blue bag.

Funny story... The place I took the bag to be stitched was an Amish shoe store nearby. The bearded but not mustachioed Amish guy quickly stitched my bag and took $5 for the mod. Then I asked for his advice on how to condition or oil the leather in the future. His response was "Is this leather?". I don't know if he didn't recognize coated leather, or if he was dissing me in some Amish way.

I took my stitched bag and left. Maybe the uptown mall purse store has better advice on treating/conditioning leather goods.

-Rusty
                              @ArcSwivel
                              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...