Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2016

Narragansett Machine Company speed bag platform

Click image for larger version

Name:	15281092_10154012052491080_604580944_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	94372
    Hello everyone, I was lucky to find two Narragansett Machine Company speed bag platform. I'm getting them restored soon and I would like to have some information on the drums and swivels since the original ones are missing. Thank you for your help!
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Yeah, and where on earth did you find not 1 but 2 of them???

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

The platform itself is made from tongue and grove wood, oak I believe but I'm not 100% positive about it,(okay I took another look at the catalog description, and it's maple, not oak) other than they are fracking heavy. I seem to recall that they are around 2 1/2" to 3" thick. Here's an original catalog cut of your platforms https://books.google.com/books?id=lx...page&q&f=false
      Last edited by Dutchman; 11-30-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• StevieMac
        • Oct 2010

Great find! Here's a thread where someone else restored one and there's some pictures of the original drum http://www.speedbagforums.com/forums...t=Narragansett

Please post pictures of your progress.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

As far as swivels, you name it and it's probably been on it. A Nicol ball and rope swivel, or a Nicol ball & hook would be more than proper and appropriate from a historical standpoint. You can still find these being used with modern "U" link swivels today.

Comment

• Bag Man
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Moe Latif View Post
            [ATTACH]5338[/ATTACH]
            Hello everyone, I was lucky to find two Narragansett Machine Company speed bag platform. I'm getting them restored soon and I would like to have some information on the drums and swivels since the original ones are missing. Thank you for your help!
            I believe the front pic is of a Narragansett Gym Equipment piece. By this point they were no longer using the drum. The proper design can be found here.

"He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Bag Man
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
              I believe the front pic is of a Narragansett Gym Equipment piece. By this point they were no longer using the drum. The proper design can be found here.

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3987
              BTW: If you look at where the swivel is attached there is a recess that was either designed to accommodate a ball/hooks swivel or was made as a result of wear by the ball. Whether it came with a ball/hook I'm not certain. If I had to hazard a guess it likely had a swivel similar to a Whitely No Jump which is of the period circa 1950s to early 1960s of when the platform was made.

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

BTW: If you look at where the swivel is attached there is a recess that was either designed to accommodate a ball/hooks swivel or was made as a result of wear by the ball. Whether it came with a ball/hook I'm not certain. If I had to hazard a guess it likely had a swivel similar to a Whitely No Jump which is of the period circa 1950s to early 1960s of when the platform was made.

Bag Man
                I believe you're off on the date... these were being produced back in 1916, like my vintage Spalding platform.
                Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Bag Man
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                  I believe you're off on the date... these were being produced back in 1916, like my vintage Spalding platform.
                  Yes. If it was a Narragansett Machine Works platform. I do not believe it is. That company went out of business around 1950. After that, the same platform was produced by whomever brought the rights to the design (I believe they were connected with Everlast) but sold under the Narragansett Gym Equipment (NGE) brand. I assume that someone else held the NMW trademark, NMW produced a full range of athletic equipment as well as machine tools. It was a company know for quality, so the trademark was valuable.

If you look at design in the circle I believe the script reads NGE not NMW, which is what it would read if it was a Narragansett Machine Works platform. By 1960 or so the design was dropped and the same style platform sold by Everlast.

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Yes. If it was a Narragansett Machine Works platform. I do not believe it is. That company went out of business around 1950. After that, the same platform was produced by whomever brought the rights to the design (I believe they were connected with Everlast) but sold under the Narragansett Gym Equipment (NGE) brand. I assume that someone else held the NMW trademark, NMW produced a full range of athletic equipment as well as machine tools. It was a company know for quality, so the trademark was valuable.

If you look at design in the circle I believe the script reads NGE not NMW, which is what it would read if it was a Narragansett Machine Works platform. By 1960 or so the design was dropped and the same style platform sold by Everlast.

Bag Man
                    I think you're right... I stand corrected, it does look like NGE once I flipped the picture!
                    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Bag Man
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                      I think you're right... I stand corrected, it does look like NGE once I flipped the picture!
                      I'm so twisted I don't need to flip. A distinct advantage in this regard.

Still niece piece(s).

Is good/bad news for the OP. (I assume both are NGEs.) Bad news, not as old as perhaps would like. Good news, fabricating the striking surface to mirror the original will be a whole lot easier.

Bag Man.

Archie Moore

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

The "old" Everlast Co. had them, but have no idea whether or not they were acquired by the "new" company or not. It would not surprise me if they wound up in a dempster.

Comment

• girllikethat20
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jan 2020

Hello! My name is Katie (haven't been able to get my avatar changed) and I'm super new to boxing and just arrived here today. I started boxing this past fall and I am really enjoying it. It's the first time I've done something physical and not hated it!

I got a speed bag for Christmas and was trying to figure out how to mount it in my basement. I did some Googling and fell in love with what happens to be the $$$$ NMC platform. I'm cursed with expensive taste even when I don't mean to! It was just the most gorgeous/sturdiest platform!

I'm hoping to luck out and find one some day for three figures instead of the four or five that I've seen recently. I think if I stay vigilant, it could happen. I waited 20 years to get a copy of a rare CD, so I can be patient

Have a great day!
                          Last edited by girllikethat20; 01-02-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

there is one for sale on eBay, local pickup only out in the Pittsburgh area.
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• girllikethat20
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jan 2020

rdshackleford thank you so much for letting me know! I'm actually watching that one already and am close enough that local pickup wouldn't be too difficult. However, it's 6k...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...