Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing vs Bible style (relax)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boxing vs Bible style (relax)

    (This vid is old from 2013 and I searched for it here but didn't find it, so please forgive me if this has another thread)

    This is gold! So much to talk about here.



    On the one hand, he is not a bible style speed bagger, and it's not surprising in any way.

    On the other hand, FINALLY I see a boxing idol who sucks at this ALMOST as much as I do!

    -Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

  • #2
    Amen brother.

    I saw a vid from Freddie Roach recently where he taught how to train throwing left hooks on the speed bag. That was interesting.

    I thought the above Mayweather vid was funny because I've seen other vids where he does normal boxer style with very impressive speed and power. And then he posts that vid. Maybe he hasn't seen all the vids from the people on this forum.
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ventanakaz
      Just don't get why everyone including pros hit with the circle hammer fist, Yes it conditions the shoulders but has nothing to do with actual boxing, if your gonna train on the speed bag for boxing, than just box it with combos just like what you would do in a boxing match, But when it comes to the speed bag, Take what fits you and make it your own style, There are no rules to follow. Just what's in your head and what you enjoy to do...Ralph
      AMEN!. could not have said it better.


      Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
      Amen brother.

      I saw a vid from Freddie Roach recently where he taught how to train throwing left hooks on the speed bag. That was interesting.

      I thought the above Mayweather vid was funny because I've seen other vids where he does normal boxer style with very impressive speed and power. And then he posts that vid. Maybe he hasn't seen all the vids from the people on this forum.
      I learned a LONG time ago that boxing trainers and adamant followers of the sport and it's dogmatic training regimes, do NOT like Bible Style Bagging or anything other than "the standard boxing workout", hitting from the front in triplet rhythm, pulling the rope, doing a few hooks and maybe some traps of the bag on board. Pretty standard stuff. Since that is the level of most of their understanding ...and training needs.....that is where they stay and some dig in very emphatically to defend that method. I've been told "You're doing it wrong! all that fancy stuff from behind the bag and elbows is not helpful for boxing and you can't do that in the ring." I simply agree and remind the speaker that I have never fought competitively, don't plan on starting now, and I hit the speed bag for MY OWN PURPOSES, ...not those of competitive boxing. I tell them that the equipment does not define how it is to be used....The user does and I have the right to define how I will use the speed bag. If they cannot understand how or why I hit it the way I do, that is their problem, ...not mine. I also remind them that when their competitive days are over and they just want a fun, expressive home exercise activity, they may want to consider expanding their speed bag skills. Or continually pounding it from the front "pulling the rope" in triplet rhythm. (yawn).

      It's yours to choose.
      Speed Bag

      Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...


      sigpic

      The Art of the Bag

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        I learned a LONG time ago that boxing trainers and adamant followers of the sport and it's dogmatic training regimes, do NOT like Bible Style Bagging or anything other than "the standard boxing workout", hitting from the front in triplet rhythm, pulling the rope, doing a few hooks and maybe some traps of the bag on board. Pretty standard stuff. Since that is the level of most of their understanding ...and training needs.....that is where they stay and some dig in very emphatically to defend that method. I've been told "You're doing it wrong! all that fancy stuff from behind the bag and elbows is not helpful for boxing and you can't do that in the ring." I simply agree and remind the speaker that I have never fought competitively, don't plan on starting now, and I hit the speed bag for MY OWN PURPOSES, ...not those of competitive boxing. I tell them that the equipment does not define how it is to be used....The user does and I have the right to define how I will use the speed bag. If they cannot understand how or why I hit it the way I do, that is their problem, ...not mine. I also remind them that when their competitive days are over and they just want a fun, expressive home exercise activity, they may want to consider expanding their speed bag skills. Or continually pounding it from the front "pulling the rope" in triplet rhythm. (yawn).

        It's yours to choose.
        Yawn indeed.

        First relax like I said in the title and re-read my posts. Is it THIS quire you are preaching to? Yeah, I get that you are into your own thing and that is cool.

        I agree the style and use is up to the user and nobody should influence you negatively in that. But when you say thing like "Since that is the level of most of their understanding" I am on guard.

        My method right now is boxing style. I use it and love it, and am not ever bored (yawn) with it. My shoulder therapy loves it as well. When I progress, I measure it in speed and power, not in fancy bible moves.

        I'm gonna pull that rope, and pull myself to a higher place.

        Peace out, y'all.

        -Rusty
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
          Yawn indeed.

          First relax like I said in the title and re-read my posts. Is it THIS quire you are preaching to? Yeah, I get that you are into your own thing and that is cool.

          I agree the style and use is up to the user and nobody should influence you negatively in that. But when you say thing like "Since that is the level of most of their understanding" I am on guard.

          My method right now is boxing style. I use it and love it, and am not ever bored (yawn) with it. My shoulder therapy loves it as well. When I progress, I measure it in speed and power, not in fancy bible moves.

          I'm gonna pull that rope, and pull myself to a higher place.

          Peace out, y'all.

          -Rusty
          Great. Find what works for you. It's not a competition.
          Speed Bag

          Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...


          sigpic

          The Art of the Bag

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ventanakaz
            Just don't get why everyone including pros hit with the circle hammer fist, Yes it conditions the shoulders but has nothing to do with actual boxing, if your gonna train on the speed bag for boxing, than just box it with combos just like what you would do in a boxing match, But when it comes to the speed bag, Take what fits you and make it your own style, There are no rules to follow. Just what's in your head and what you enjoy to do...Ralph
            Most fighters I've seen use it at the end of their work out, more like a burnout set.

            Between the heavy, double end, uppercut, body snatcher, there are better tools to work combos. It's not worth the risk of damaging your hands on the swivel(I've seen it happen a couple of times).

            To be honest you're probably only going to land single shots on a speed bag anyways. I don't see any benefit to boxing it.

            Comment


            • #7
              rskbreaker, you mentioned the body snatcher. Do you like it? I was thinking of getting one.

              -Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Great. Find what works for you. It's not a competition.
                You sound like Yoda, lol.

                Breathe deeply, we should. And relax...
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                  You sound like Yoda, lol.

                  Breathe deeply, we should. And relax...

                  exactly like this song.

                  "...take a deep breath and relax. Start to move slowly. ...let the rhythm be your guiding light."



                  Forget the video, it's only a picture. close your eyes and listen to the opening 2:20. It gets my mind right for speed bag and the awesome beat that kicks in at 2:20. One of my favorite punch drumming songs. Great for triplet rhythm also.

                  (* the whole album is cool for punch drumming. Great beat and soothing.)

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z6SJhaUjzU

                  Speed Bag

                  Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...


                  sigpic

                  The Art of the Bag

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                    rskbreaker, you mentioned the body snatcher. Do you like it? I was thinking of getting one.

                    -Rusty
                    Hands down my favorite bag to work. It's the only bag you can practically land any punch, from straight, uppercut, hooks, and overhand.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      exactly like this song.

                      "...One of my favorite punch drumming songs. Great for triplet rhythm also.

                      (* the whole album is cool for punch drumming. Great beat and soothing.)

                      Thanks speedbag, very cool.

                      I'll trade you with one of my favs. You and the great punch drummers here won't like or need this, but the n00bs like me might. I find this one so encouraging, especially when I feel I suck so bad I should stop trying. Here is pretty much the smartest guy in recent history doing something ridiculous. Playing the bongos, singing a silly made up song, and having a great time doing it. Shameless and proud.

                      This helps me find MY rhythm.

                      @ArcSwivel
                      #ArcSwivel sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                        Thanks speedbag, very cool.

                        I'll trade you with one of my favs. You and the great punch drummers here won't like or need this, but the n00bs like me might. I find this one so encouraging, especially when I feel I suck so bad I should stop trying. Here is pretty much the smartest guy in recent history doing something ridiculous. Playing the bongos, singing a silly made up song, and having a great time doing it. Shameless and proud.

                        This helps me find MY rhythm.

                        Very rhythmic and very punchable. This would be fun song to hit with.
                        Speed Bag

                        Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...


                        sigpic

                        The Art of the Bag

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ventanakaz
                          ...Hey rskbreaker, What brand do you suggest or maybe a link to one that will stand the test of time and a beating, LOL
                          I bought the Title brand and have it sitting on the gym floor waiting to be installed. So far, all I can say is it looks like the picture on the website.

                          -Rusty
                          @ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14


                            Hi-res image here: http://i.imgur.com/s3UBqEh.jpg

                            Definitely not leather, not at that price. Looks to me like that Everlast everhide material. The label on the shipping bag said 60lbs.

                            They shipped it in a ridiculously thin cardboard box held together with copious amounts of clear packing tape. The bag did a great job beating up the box on its way here.

                            I posted in another thread that Lonsdale had a really nice looking tan leather one that vanished from their website the same day I first saw it.

                            -Rusty
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The ringside bodysnatcher looks a lot like the title wrecking ball, fwiw.

                              Leather like this would have been nice...
                              @ArcSwivel
                              #ArcSwivel sigpic

                              Comment

                              Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...
                              X