What Title bag did I buy and what psi to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

What Title bag did I buy and what psi to use?

I bought this big blue Title XL 10x12 bag online. The eBay photo didn't match the bag, so I'm not sure what I have. New version of some line? Old version?

What psi should I use for this bag? It being much larger than my other bags, it seems to handle a large range of pressures.

In addition to regular bag work, I hope eventually to get a vertical platform mounted and use this blue one there. Opinions on that use also?

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Looks like the "big blue" that I have other than the really big loop, so I'd say it's relatively recent. I take it that this still has the original bladder, so four psi is good. This would be the butyl rubber bladder, which gives good service, but is not as lively as the replacement latex bladder that is available for it

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
      I bought this big blue Title XL 10x12 bag online. The eBay photo didn't match the bag, so I'm not sure what I have. New version of some line? Old version?

What psi should I use for this bag? It being much larger than my other bags, it seems to handle a large range of pressures.

-Rusty
      Hey Rusty. If you don't have a pump that shows psi, then you can it the old fashion way. To determine proper inflation level, pump until all the wrinkles are out of the outer leather and the bag is smooth. Then put in one or two more. You should be able to gently squeeze the inflated bag and push the leather in slightly with your thumbs. When you hit the bag you should feel it "give" under your fist just a bit. If you don't feel any "give" and it feels hard on your hand, then it is probably overinflated.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Now that I have a ball pump with a dial that shows PSI, bag pressure sure is nice and consistent.

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Thanks for the psi advice. Good stuff to know. I do have a mini dial gauge from Balazs that they threw in for free when I bought my Lazer. That was nice of them. I'm sure after a while I'll get to know the proper pressure by feel and not need the gauge.
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

When I go up to hit the big blue bag I get the same feeling I get just before I go out to shovel snow.

-Rusty
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

I need to put the latex replacement bladder in mine. The original bladder makes the bag feel like it's made of slushy snow. Dead.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                I need to put the latex replacement bladder in mine. The original bladder makes the bag feel like it's made of slushy snow. Dead.
                Interesting. When I said shovel snow I meant it takes big slow heavy punches to move the bag. I didn't occur to me that the bladder could make a difference. Is this the kind of replacement bladder you mentioned?

-Rusty
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

Yes the large one, it fits the 8 x 11, 10 x 12 inch bags. I always keep a couple of them on hand.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

Would the same thing go for that black Title gyro in the pic? I mean, will changing out the original bladder be an improvement? That bag is a 7x10.

Rusty
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

The groups observation has been is that all the Title bags come with the vulcanized black rubber bladder. It's a very robust , long lasting bladder, just not as responsive as the latex replacement bladder. Why don't they use the latex ones when they make them? That's something we can only surmise. Perhaps they wanted ones that will hold up for a longer period of time before having to be replaced. From what I gather the valves fail before the bladder itself does. The down side to the latex bladders is that they have a much shorter life span compared to the black rubber ones.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

Yesterday I tried removing the original black bladder from my Title gyro. The valve is set in there pretty good, and I was afraid of tearing it while removing it. Is there a trick to removing it without ripping it?
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

The trick is to expose the old bladder as much as possible. This video by ZaZa illustrates this well http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...lacing+bladder

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

Thank you Dutchman, ventanakaz, and zaza. I had not noticed the sewing thread as it was very tight, but under my desk lamp/magnifier I saw exactly what you said. I also searched and found some great old threads on the subject. I'd still like to fix the stupid short nipple on the replacement bladders and find a way to make a lip or gasket around it so the rubber cement step is not necessary.

And the difference in performance of the orange bladder was very impressive! It's like I have an entirely new and better speed bag now! You guys were so right that it felt not lively and dead before.

-Rusty
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

The Everlast latex bladders have the snap in valve, no gluing necessary. They are difficult to find, at least at the local retail level as Everlast encourages stores to just sell the customer a new bag instead of a bladder. Also Title sells a plastic bladder that has the snap in valve. I've not tried one yet so I don't know how they hit, but at one time all of the Everlast bags used these. They were prone to failing at the seams, which is when they switched to the latex bladders,

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...