• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OdiousT
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2015

First Post: Greetings!

I first hit a speed bag in high school. My parents got an Everlast heavy bag/speed bag combination stand for my brother and me, more to blow off teenage steam than for fitness.

My brother never really got the hang of it. We'd seen videos of boxers training, but the hands and the bag were a blur, and we were basically guessing. It didn't help that the stand allowed the drum to vibrate wildly.

I figured it out, to an extent. Striking in line with the stand, rather than perpendicular to it, reduced vibration and made rebounds more predictable. It wasn't long before I could sustain a 3 beat pattern, switching hands and sides of the hands at will, but always in a 3 beat pattern.

But that was it. I got it going faster, but my learning ended there. Still, it was enjoyable. I'd always found the rhythmic clatter and slam to be satisfying, soothing, and hypnotic.

Now, I'm a new homeowner with a space for my workout gear (at last!), and I'm eager to install a platform, and to learn. It's very exciting.

I haven't bought any gear yet. I'm going to guess that the first recommended purchase here is the Speedbag Bible. I'll be sending a PM to Mr. Kahn shortly after posting this.

Any guidance you might want to throw my way will always be appreciated!
  • Eric
    • May 2014

Welcome to the Forum ! You are on the right track to the full experience. Every thing you need to know can be found on the Forum. Great people that want to see your skill set soar.
    All the Best,
    Eric

Comment

• Commander
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2015

Welcome! I'm a relative noobie as well. Your plan to buy the Speed Bag Bible is sound, and I'd also recommend the DVD - I am a visual learner, so I use the book to get the nitty gritty details and the DVD to see Alan effortlessly perform the movements. There's a lot of great information here and people are very helpful and willing to share their expertise. I bought a Balazs I-Box platform and have been very pleased with it. I also installed a DeVille swivel, which is much faster than the one that came with the platform, but requires much greater accuracy in punching. I think it will make me a better bagger. I just slowed things down, and actually installed a larger bag -- it's huge compared to the red Title bag I was using! But I'm regaining my mojo; I see progress with every passing day and bagging session, with the inevitable plateaus. I even provided a mini-lesson to a clerk in a local sporting goods store who heard me beating on a Speedbag that they had set up, since I couldn't just walk by without giving it a go. I harkened back to Alan's advice on teaching in his book, although at the time I read it I had no idea I would ever be good enough to teach. But as long as I know just a little more than the student I guess I am in good shape . Best of luck to you!

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Greetings, salutations, & oral hygiene !

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by OdiousT View Post
          ! haven't bought any gear yet. I'm going to guess that the first recommended purchase here is the Speedbag Bible. I'll be sending a PM to Mr. Kahn shortly after posting this.

Any guidance you might want to throw my way will always be appreciated!

Greeting OdiousT and welcome to the forum. in here, and to my friends (baggin' family) I go informal, only my wife and kids call me
          Mr. Kahn.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Fitness
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Sep 2015

Thanks For This Better Welcome I'll Really appreciated This Forum work .Hope you all is well.Thanks

brooklyn health center
            Last edited by Fitness; 09-30-2015, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum....jump in, the water's fine!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• stefoz
                • Apr 2015

welcome sir,wishing you happy bagging.fun and sweat never ends here

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Your Odiousness is welcome here Mr T. And keep on baggin.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                    • Apr 2012

Hello, welcome. Try the classifieds before you dish out the cash. You'll be surprised.
                    Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...