• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hoosierbagger View Post
    Found a good video of G-town performing this. Check it out at about 1:41.

Yes, that is it.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Mainbeam
      • Apr 2014

Amazing!

Comment

• speedball dreads
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2014

Makes ur brain tingle a Lil when trying moves like that

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Quick answer is "YES" there is. Think about this.... in a "normal" fist roll, the "next punch" comes from over the top of the other fist. When you reverse the fist roll, the next punch comes from "under" the last fist that hits the bag.

If you do a "normal" Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) (the next punch comes from "over" the last fist) and just extend your hands forward to the reverse side of the bag, that very same motion (nothing changes), will now have the "next punch" hitting from under the last fist. The same is true for the "normal" Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll), ....Do a normal (R-Roll) behind the bag, Just bring that same movement to the front of the bag and you will now have a "reverse direction" F-Roll, with the next punch coming from "under" the last punch.

I know, it's screws with your head. But it works, if you can do it.
          I've been trying to do this move ever since this thread was first posted. I read this post and tried to do it time and again but I finally gave up. It just seemed so awkward that I couldn't even hit it once from the bottom up. But then I decided to start trying it again. I figured that since it took me over 5 weeks of working every day to finally get a 4 way continuous elbow strike down I shouldn't give up on an even harder move.

I finally was able to do it for a short period just tonight. But I can't do it at will yet. That will take a lot more practice. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard. After all it's just the same hand motion that you are doing in front of the bag, but somehow hitting the bag on the up stroke while you roll your fists really messes with you. But again, persistence is a virtue in learning this stuff. Especially when you are almost 64.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips.

fedora
          Last edited by fedora; 06-28-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
            I've been trying to do this move ever since this thread was first posted. I read this post and tried to do it time and again but I finally gave up. It just seemed so awkward that I couldn't even hit it once from the bottom up. But then I decided to start trying it again. I figured that since it took me over 5 weeks of working every day to finally get a 4 way continuous elbow strike down I shouldn't give up on an even harder move.

I finally was able to do it for a short period just tonight. But I can't do it at will yet. That will take a lot more practice. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard. After all it's just the same hand motion that you are doing in front of the bag, but somehow hitting the bag on the up stroke while you roll your fists really messes with you. But again, persistence is a virtue in learning this stuff. Especially when you are almost 64.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips.

fedora

Yep, it really does mess with your head. I haven't gotten it down either, and I've been working on it a long time also. My hands just don't like hitting on the upstroke. It ain't normal!

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

I made some real progress on this today. I went from only being able to hold the roll for 5 seconds at a time to making it to 30 seconds. Now I just have to work at being able to do it every time I try.

fedora

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • May 2014

Any way that you could post up a short video, Fedora?

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

I'm progressing on this in what seems to be the normal pattern for me. I try and try and try some more, and nothing clicks. Then out of the blue I nail it for a short spurt. Then it seems to go away. Then I nail it again. This seems to repeat for a few days and then I start to nail it for a bit longer. Then gradually my brain and muscle reaction connect up to the point I can hit it fairly regularly. Right now I'm still at the point where I may walk up and do it the first time and then the next time I can't get it. Give me a few weeks of doing it every day and then I will be more consistent with it and I'll post a video.

I found that one of the things that helped me start to get this was to break down the move into separate parts rather than just try to start doing all of it at once, which is what I was doing to begin with and getting no where. So I started doing one fist at a time from behind, hitting the bag from the bottom up. Not fist rolling, but just hitting one fist on the back side going up and then letting it do a triplet bounce and then doing the other hand. Once I got my brain used to the bottom up and over and back down and around, it started to click. I find I need to hit the bag a bit higher up too. It helps to avoid the "swivel clunk" that comes from the upstroke.

UPDATE: Okay I posted a short video of my attempting it. Be kind.

fedora
                  Last edited by fedora; 06-30-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • May 2014

Really appreciate the tips, Fedora.

There are some things I have been able to pick up very quickly and then there have been many that, like you on this one, I had to work on a little here and a little there before they start to come together consistently. Outward to inward 4-way comes to mind. Rivets was another that gave me problems.

Anyway, you have definitely got me going on this again. I had just about given this up completely as one I just wasn't going to be able to pull off. Going to give it another shot with your tips in mind and maybe a little more patience.

I want to go on record as stating this technique needs it's own name. Reverse, reverse fist roll is fairly confusing. Maybe reverse roll squared or r²-roll? Any suggestions?
                    Last edited by Hoosierbagger; 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

I want to go on record as stating this technique needs it's own name. Reverse, reverse fist roll is fairly confusing. Maybe reverse roll squared or r²-roll? Any suggestions?
                      I was wondering about that too. It's more of a forward reverse fist roll in the sense that it's on the reverse side of the bag but the fists are going forward.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I would probably disagree on a separate name only because whichever direction you do it, it's still a fist roll. Behind the bag [ Reverse Roll (R-Roll) ] is more of a chopping motion but I called it Reverse Roll for it was a simple name and easy to write. And you can roll the fists next to each other.

But as for the name, at some point you could separate the directions by "clockwise" or Counterclockwise". Sure you could get crazy picking apart which angle you view the bag puncher from, but for the person rolling it is the same. Normal Front Fist Rolling (next fist hits over the last in a downward direction) is a clockwise direction, Reversing that movement direction (next punch striking upward, under the last fist) is counterclockwise. I think the same concept holds behind the bag. Normal Reverse Rolling (next fist over the last in downward direction - rolling back at your own nose) is counter clockwise. Reverse that makes it a clockwise roll.

Me personally, I just think it is a variation of the same technique, not a new one. But interchanging from one to the other is proving more difficult than most people imagine. Me personally, I suck at the "reverse direction" rolls for more than 4 or 5 punches. It is a brain scrambler that feels totally unnatural.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...