• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoosierbagger
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2014

Reverse R-Roll?

I have spent a bit of time learning to do the reverse front fist roll. I was curious is there such a technique as a reverse reverse fist roll? If so can someone point me in the direction of a video?
  • Jollygood49
    • Jan 2013

I have no idea if there's such thing as a reverse reverse fist roll but if there is it's incredibly difficult. I remember somebody on the forum saying that the reverse fist roll doesn't use a true rolling fist over fist action and when I did my own reverse fist roll that appeared to be the case. I did try the reverse reverse roll and I wasn't able to come close. It just seemed like my head had to be almost underneath the swivel to attempt it reach-wise and that just led to me getting hit in the nose. Best of luck with it, make sure to post a video if you get it down!

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2014

Originally posted by Jollygood49 View Post
      I have no idea if there's such thing as a reverse reverse fist roll but if there is it's incredibly difficult. I remember somebody on the forum saying that the reverse fist roll doesn't use a true rolling fist over fist action and when I did my own reverse fist roll that appeared to be the case. I did try the reverse reverse roll and I wasn't able to come close. It just seemed like my head had to be almost underneath the swivel to attempt it reach-wise and that just led to me getting hit in the nose. Best of luck with it, make sure to post a video if you get it down!
      I too wasn't able to get anywhere near doing this and I'm thinking it's impossible.......but if someone else has done it......

I do the r-roll two different ways fist over fist and side by side like front side rivets except the elbows are up at chin height. The fist over fist is not nearly as smooth IMHO. Doing either one, I have to lean way back so I don't skin my nose. I have tried r-rolls like rivets with the elbows down. It's definitely a challenge for me but doable.

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Hoosierbagger View Post
        I have spent a bit of time learning to do the reverse front fist roll. I was curious is there such a technique as a reverse reverse fist roll? If so can someone point me in the direction of a video?
        I'm sure I've seen Skunk doing that (what hasn't he done?). Here's one about rolls:

Be sure to checkout his YouTube channel for a ton of different videos.
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2014

I'm sure I've seen Skunk doing that (what hasn't he done?).
          I figured if anybody could do it Skunk would be the one.

Comment

• SpeedBagAtaraxis
            • Nov 2010

G-Town

The first and only person I've seen go in the reverse direction of a normal reverse fist roll is G-Town. Quite a few people I've seen now have mastered changing direction of their fist roll in front of the bag but I've never seen anyone else beside G-Town do it and with a a complete mastery I might add. He's your guy for any special fist rolling moves!

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Quick answer is "YES" there is. Think about this.... in a "normal" fist roll, the "next punch" comes from over the top of the other fist. When you reverse the fist roll, the next punch comes from "under" the last fist that hits the bag.

If you do a "normal" Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) (the next punch comes from "over" the last fist) and just extend your hands forward to the reverse side of the bag, that very same motion (nothing changes), will now have the "next punch" hitting from under the last fist. The same is true for the "normal" Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll), ....Do a normal (R-Roll) behind the bag, Just bring that same movement to the front of the bag and you will now have a "reverse direction" F-Roll, with the next punch coming from "under" the last punch.

I know, it's screws with your head. But it works, if you can do it.

Originally posted by Jollygood49 View Post
              IMO, That is actually correct. When you use the R-Roll a lot you will start to notice that your are fists are more "next to each other" than seriously rolling OVER each other. I often see the edge of my fingers "over" each other for 3 or 4 punches, but if I hold the roll for any length, they are more "next" to each other.

But you can still do very small circle motions next to each other, and then reverse the directions of your fists. You can do that in front or behind the bag.

Originally posted by SpeedBagAtaraxis View Post
              The first and only person I've seen go in the reverse direction of a normal reverse fist roll is G-Town. Quite a few people I've seen now have mastered changing direction of their fist roll in front of the bag but I've never seen anyone else beside G-Town do it and with a complete mastery I might add. He's your guy for any special fist rolling moves!
              G-Town (Louis) is a master of this, yes. But I also believe Justin is doing it very well also. I remember a video of him hitting the bag on a door (not the vertical), and I'm pretty sure he was "reversing" his R-Roll fists. I'm also pretty sure I've seen Skunk do it, ...it is certainly within his wheelhouse of skill, as it is in your SBA, but I can't find a video of him doing it legitimately.

.....But G-Town is the only guy I've seen smiling while doing this...as if too say "yea, I got this"
              Last edited by Speedbag; 05-16-2014, 07:30 AM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • May 2014

.....But G-Town is the only guy I've seen smiling while doing this...as if too say "yea, I got this"
                I am subscribed to G-town's profile on youtube and have watched many of the videos he has put up there. It is more than likely that I have seen him doing this but just didn't know it. lol

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

I've been working on the reverse, reverse, reverse, fist roll...and it's kind of like '3 lefts makes a right'!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I am subscribed to G-town's profile on youtube and have watched many of the videos he has put up there. It is more than likely that I have seen him doing this but just didn't know it. lol
                    Don't feel bad. I've watched him hit lots of times, live...and I'm still not sure what he's doing or how he is doing it. He has a flare and style that is all his own, ...and has incredible control the whole time.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                      I've been working on the reverse, reverse, reverse, fist roll...and it's kind of like '3 lefts makes a right'!

Is it anything like this?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Exactly!!
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

YES...YES!!!
                          (also one of my favorite films!)

Comment

• G-Town
                            Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Roll'in along

Hossierbagger - The "one and only" Speedbag Skunk introduced this awkward roll
                            in Keyport New Jersey at our first gathering demonstrating control from another world. Skunk paved the way for myself and others on this great (Forum) with a touch of leadership from the 'King' Alan Kahn along with Tim Platt I call "Elbow's Elbow Elbows" I think the best compliment when baggin is seeing your combination done by someone else in his or her's own style. I Like your elbow work Speedy Tommy T smiling from his computer.
                            Q-Dee like with the downward elbow,and a style your makin your own,keep it baggin fist over fist -fist under fist...reverse and reverse again! If the fist are side by side I consider that a chop or drummer's punch.

Comment

• Hoosierbagger
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • May 2014

Found a good video of G-town performing this. Check it out at about 1:41.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...