• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • niceguy678us
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2006

replacement parts

What ever happened to that guy that was supposed to get a machinist buddy to make replacement metal S hook swivel parts? I tried searching for the post but couldn't come up with it.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by niceguy678us View Post
    What ever happened to that guy that was supposed to get a machinist buddy to make replacement metal S hook swivel parts? I tried searching for the post but couldn't come up with it.
    I must have missed that one, but several here could probably do that....
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• niceguy678us
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2006

I thought it was on this forum where I saw it. He had pics of the cup/threaded/gnarled piece that the ball sits in. Was waiting to hear back from someone or whatever, I don't remember it was a long time ago.

Comment

• niceguy678us
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2006

Nobody has actually tried that "Boxing Gear's Speed Bag Swivel" yet? It's only 22 bucks.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Nobody has actually tried that "Boxing Gear's Speed Bag Swivel" yet? It's only 22 bucks.
          Actually, I think someone did get it and was using it. It's buried in an earlier post of a month or so ago...
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Here's a link to the post where Forthaney actually got one and used the metal reproduction swivel: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ighlight=metal

Hmm... we haven't heard much from Forthaney since he got his Ibox set up. He must be really busy working that new platform and beautiful board.

Here's another link with a mini review: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ighlight=metal

I do remember the talk about someone making parts because I remember I made a post saying I could reproduce those parts if I bought a nice mill. I'll look around and see if I can find it.

Found the post I was looking for, but I don't see where anyone said they were going to make parts, just that it was possible given the right skill and equipment. http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=149
            Last edited by Chris M; 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

What specifically are you looking for? I may have what you're looking for.

Comment

• niceguy678us
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Mar 2006

well I have one of the newer ball s hook swivels that I got from TIM, and have been using it almost every day for about 5 months (I bought them from him like last year but I just finished building my platform 5 months ago). The hole that the ball hangs out of is completely egg shaped, and the two chain links (the "eye" and the "s") have rubbed together so much they're fixing to wear through each other. Since day one I have used the powder graphite lube in the ball socket and the ball is polished remarkably into a MIRROR shine LOL. So like I said in another post, I am harder on my equipment than most and I will break it if it isn't up to par. What I've found is obviously the threaded/gnarled/socket piece is poorly cast, and the "eye" and "s hook" material is a bit softand they will eventually wear through each other.

Just in case anyone was wondering, I made my own platform out of 5x2 steel tubing, 1/8 in. plate and some angle irons. The drum is 2 1/2 in. thick (10 1/4's for the carpenters out there) American Black Walnut Heartwood cut to 30 in. diameter. I custom made special washers to affix the drum to the framework, and the framework is fully adjustable. I used stainless steel hardware throughout and powdercoated the framework flat black. The drum has the corners rounded down with a router, and the washers hand fitted/recessed into the drum so as to keep the surface flat and asthetically seamless. I fine sanded and finished the walnut drum with NO stain, just a few coats of satin polyurethane 1,000 grit sanding in between coats. The wood is just phenomonal in it's original color and I didn't want to ruin it by staining it. I chose the black walnut because of it's hardness, resistance to splitting, and it's dark color and deep grain.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2007

i think i speak for everyone here niceguy678us when i say post some pics man!!!! your platform sounds amazing

Comment

• niceguy678us
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2006

I have to get my friend's digital camera over to the house and get him to take some pics of everything for you guys. I don't even have internet at my house I gotta use the computers in the campus library (I'm in college) or my friends houses for the time being.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
                      i think i speak for everyone here niceguy678us when i say post some pics man!!!! your platform sounds amazing
                      Second this post. This is a setup I gotta see....
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• niceguy678us
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2006

HOLY CRAP the king wants to see my platform......

Comment

• Kyle
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2006

yes i do
                          ________
                          Park Royal 3 Condo Prathumnak
                          Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• niceguy678us
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Mar 2006

I took some of the design from the everlast adjustable ($999.99 plus shipping) platform. I don't have anything to go by, here in Lake Charles Louisiana there isn't anything around having to do with boxing so I was kind of on my own. I looked at the everlast platform, the Blazas boxing platform, and a few others all on the internet that all have almost the exact same design, I'm sure you know the models I'm talking about with the sliding vertical adjustment. Sat down with my wall a tape measure and a few sheets of graph paper and a pencil and sketched it out. After that it was just a matter of buying the materials and sweating a little bit. If my memory serves me correct, all together from bolts to my two everlast speed bags, I have about $260 in the setup.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

"KING" is a little strong... I'm just a guy who loves the speed bag and spent a little time in contemplation about it.

and I do love to see a nice speed bag setup. It's aesthetic to the eye as well as the ear. I could never make my own and I admire that skill. I think I do well to hang it straight....
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...