• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JKDguy
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2013

Greetings

Hey ya'll, just bought my first speed bag! I'm excited to use it but I have to wait because I'm going to build my own platform (hopefully) sometime this week. I have been lurking for a while but I thought I would peek my head in and get ready for some knowledge to be dropped on my head.

My primary goal is to increase my hand/eye coordination for boxing specifically. I'm not as interested in "tricking" but I might be in the future. For the time being I would like to become proficient in the basics specific to boxing.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for the best YT video to explain how to start off? Thanks!
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum! Here's a video I did at last years SPEED B.A.G. III gathering in Keyport, NJ...thought you might find it interesting.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• JKDguy
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2013

Zaza, awesome video! I love how you guys have integrated Wing Chun into the speed bag...it gives me a lot of good ideas. I am beginning to appreciate how complex and intricate the moveset can become on the speedbag. now I am even more excited than I was before!
      Last edited by JKDguy; 09-03-2013, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JKDguy View Post
        Hey ya'll, just bought my first speed bag! I'm excited to use it but I have to wait because I'm going to build my own platform (hopefully) sometime this week. I have been lurking for a while but I thought I would peek my head in and get ready for some knowledge to be dropped on my head.

My primary goal is to increase my hand/eye coordination for boxing specifically. I'm not as interested in "tricking" but I might be in the future. For the time being I would like to become proficient in the basics specific to boxing.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for the best YT video to explain how to start off? Thanks!
        Hello JKDguy and welcome.

There are lots of "HOW TO" speed bag video's on YT. Some good, some not so good. Here are just a few I like because I agree with their information and presentation. relevant for the basic boxing workout. Each has some good points.

The easiest way to learn how to hit a speed bag. A great guide to help beginners learn how to use one of boxing's most popular training equipment. Develop yo...

The speed bag is a very important element of boxing, and Adolfo diaz is here to show you how to do it and get better doing it. try to relax and listen to the...

boxing, MMA, martial arts, bruce lee, Punching, Striking, Karate, Kung Fu, Hapkido, UFC, Training, Cuban Boxing, Expert Village, How Too, Speed Bag, Punching Bag, Juan Manual Marquez, Manny Pacquiao, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Sergio Martinez, Yoan Pablo Hernandez, Vitali Klitschko, Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Guillermo Rigondeaux, HBO Sports, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Saul Alvarez, Robert Guerrero, Danny Garcia, Knockout, 拳击, бокс, Matthysse vs Dallas, boksas, Cuba (Country), Boxing Lesson

"Boxing" doesn't really promote the fancier bible style punching because a lot of it isn't relevant to competitive boxing in the ring and they keep their training based on what is really useful inside the ring. However, I know several martial art masters that also love the more advanced combinations with elbows and reverse punches for they are completely relevant for self defense purposes.

Hope these help.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• JKDguy
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2013

Thanks speedbag! I've seen the first two but not the last one, which is my favorite. So I have a metal hinge type swivel, will it work for that type of trapping? I noticed he had a ball hook swivel and he was moving around the bag and hitting it from different angles..

I should clarify that my long term goals are definitely more broad than just the sport of boxing, but that is where I am at in my current journey as a martial artist. But I am very interested in the deeper aspects of speed bagging while still pertaining to martial arts.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...