• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brooklynbagger
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2013

New member, new platform

New member here, glad to be part of this forum. The level of support, expertise, and content seems to make it a great community. I'm relatively new to bagging, just about a year. I had my hip fused and reconstructed so was looking for something to help me stay active. I hit the heavy bag, too, now. Look forward to staying connected.

Here's my new home set up. 1 1/2" maple, 24" diameter. Bolted straight into the rafters of a pretty low ceiling. Works great, really solid, really quick. Getting ready to stain and finish the wood, any suggestions?

David
    Attached Files
  • Dumbcluck
    • Jun 2013

Welcome

Welcome David. This is a great place to be.
    Jimbo

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

wow!

That is a very cool drum. Solid.

Originally posted by brooklynbagger View Post
      New member here, glad to be part of this forum. The level of support, expertise, and content seems to make it a great community. I'm relatively new to bagging, just about a year. I had my hip fused and reconstructed so was looking for something to help me stay active. I hit the heavy bag, too, now. Look forward to staying connected.

Here's my new home set up. 1 1/2" maple, 24" diameter. Bolted straight into the rafters of a pretty low ceiling. Works great, really solid, really quick. Getting ready to stain and finish the wood, any suggestions?

David

Comment

• brooklynbagger
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2013

Thanks for the welcome.

Great being here. My home is a 160 year old Victorian. I asked the best carpenter I've met if he would do the platform for me and he agreed. He threw it in as an extra on another job he was doing for me. I'm sure I've paid for it one way or another but I'm happy to because it is rock solid. I'll think about the new swivel eventually but just finding my groove with this one. My fear is that I'll mis-hit a lot with the ball hook. Is that the case? As for finish, I might not even stain it, just hit it with some polyurethane on the natural wood. Best, David

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Welcome to the fringe! Love the platform...and I'd go natural as far as finish too.
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

As far as the swivel, if you try to go for speed right off the bat, yes you are going to mis hit, regardless of what type of swivel you are using, although it's acknowledged that the ball and hook is a little bit less forgiving in this regard. The key thing to remember is that first and foremost, this is a "control" bag. You start slow, and master the control of it first. Once you do that the speed will come naturally. A little patience is required, but you will find the end result to be rewarding. Too many people expect to start hitting right off like Manny, and give it up when that doesn't happen, which is unfortunate.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...