X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dumbcluck
    • Jun 2013

New guy

Hey everybody, just wanted to send a quick note to introduce myself. I just got into speed bagging about a week ago and have been enjoying this forum.

Still trying to figure out how to update profile as it tells me im not allowed access yet.
    I hope to progress as quickly as people say they have. I'm 46 years old and spent a small amount of time in a boxing gym a few years back but never made into the ring.
    I picked up a balazs I box set up which has been great. Although, last night after adDing a little air to my bag the platform began to make a vibrational noise. Any thoughts on this?

Jimbo
    Last edited by Dumbcluck; 06-30-2013, 06:40 PM.
    Jimbo
  • Marlon
    • Apr 2013

Hi Jim & welcome to the forum. I bought an I-box after reading the reviews here & getting advice from some very respected/knowledgeable baggers.

When I used a light-weight bag I didn't notice much vibration, but when I switch to the Lazer bag from Balazs I saw a LOT of vibration, specifically from the front of the board where there is no support. The front edge would travel an inch in either direction, UNTIL my old man took one look & cut a piece of 2x4 which I wedged in between the top of the board & the ceiling beam (It's hung in my basement)

This stopped the vibration 100%. Where I was only getting about 3 - 4 rebounds from a single punch, I now get 7 - 8. It's much more enjoyable & I am able to maintain a pace for long periods of time. HUGE improvement - I posted a photo below. - I covered the 2x4 with a hand wrap to make it look a little nicer - Good luck
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marlon; 06-29-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
      • Jun 2013

Thanks

Thanks for the speedy reply marlon. That looks like a pretty solid fix. Maybe I'll try something like that.
      Jimbo

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum!
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dumbcluck View Post
          Hey everybody, just wanted to send a quick note to introduce myself. I just got into speed bagging about two weeks ago and have been enjoying this forum.

Still trying to figure out how to update profile as it tells me im not allowed access yet.
          I hope to progress as quickly as people say they have. I'm 46 years old and spent a small amount of time in a boxing gym a few years back but never made into the ring.
          I picked up a balazs I box set up which has been great. Although, last night after adDing a little air to my bag the platform began to make a vibrational noise. Any thoughts on this?

Jimbo
          Hey Jimbo, Welcome to the forum.

As for the platform, the vibrational issue probably indicates a need for a bit more weight over the board, such as Sand bags (20 or so pounds) as well as tightening all connections.

Might use Marlon's idea as well if possible.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• swfl
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2013

Good morning Jimbo and welcome. You will find a ton of information as well as very helpful people here. Have fun and enjoy!

Comment

• Dumbcluck
              • Jun 2013

Thanks everybody. You sure know how to make a guy feel welcome.
              Jimbo

Comment

• Marlon
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Hey Jimbo, Welcome to the forum.

As for the platform, the vibrational issue probably indicates a need for a bit more weight over the board, such as Sand bags (20 or so pounds) as well as tightening all connections.

Might use Marlon's idea as well if possible.
                @Alan - I can't take credit for my Dad's idea. He's the one with the Engineering Degree - I'm just the guy who watched with a dumb look on his face & said "Hey, Great Idea"

@Jim - You came across the best site on the web. The people here are so cool, positive & helpful it's hard to describe. And Alan up there is the greatest example of the type of people you will meet here. - He's also problably the most knowledgeable person you'll ever talk to when it comes to Speed bag technique & he's always willing to help with a detailed answer.

There's also a history buff or two here who are always posting cool, old school stuff to check out or answering obscure questions, and too many other great people to list.

Enjoy - This site is great.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
                  • Jun 2013

Thanks marlons dad

Ok. Here is my version of marlons dads idea. I put a piece of rubber between the woods. Sounds so much better.
                  Now I gotta change my rhythm a little. Lol
                  Attached Files
                  Jimbo

Comment

• Marlon
                    • Apr 2013

Nice work! Dad would be proud. Gotta make a BIG difference.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
                      • Jun 2013

Question

Hey marlon, it occured to me, what are we gonna do when it comes time to adjust the height? This works great for me now but there may be some sand bags in the future for the kids.
                      Jimbo

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Hey marlon, it occured to me, what are we gonna do when it comes time to adjust the height? This works great for me now but there may be some sand bags in the future for the kids.
                        You can just build a little platform to stand on. That's what a bunch of us do with fixed-height platforms.
                        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dumbcluck
                          • Jun 2013

Maybe

Thanks for the feedback Zaza and good luck with your new movie. Looks like a good one.
                          Unfortunately my kids are only 6 and 4. They stand on a flat stepping stool now and can't reach without lowering the whole platform. Or daddy gets a second workout hdi g them up to hit until they get bored. About 1 minute each. Just trying to do what I can to keep their interest peaked. I have a heavy bag on the way that they might like better. It will hang low enough for them to " box" like daddy. Lol
                          Of course they barely even get rebounds so I guess it's not really an issue just yet. Thinking about the future and for when my buddy's come by etc.
                          Last edited by Dumbcluck; 07-01-2013, 01:39 PM.
                          Jimbo

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

Of course they barely even get rebounds so I guess it's not really an issue just yet.
                            I don't have kids, but I wonder if the Leone bags wouldn't be great for children. They rebound like crazy.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
                              • Jun 2013

New guy

I'm not familiar with those or any bags really. Just started bagging last weekend. Definitely notice a big difference though. Other folks may not see it but I do.
                              Is there a big difference in bags and swivels?
                              Jimbo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...